Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A) today when I tried to lock my car the locks inside moved forward after I clicked the remote but then immediately clicked back into the unlocked position BUT when I opened the door the alarm goes off so apparently the car thinks it's locked but for some reason the locks are kicking themselves back into the open position. The dealer has been very good about handling these issues, pick up at my door etc.. but still they're 90 miles from me so I'm wondering if there's any trouble shooting I can do before I ring them up.

B) hopefully I have not caused issue A but typically when I get in the car I always manually push the lock forward, am I supposed to have to lock the door that way?

I tried turning off the battery and then turning it back on again b'c I read that for other issues and when I've had other minute electrical snafus that has instantly done the trick but not this time.

In the interim is there a way to manually lock the car?

Suggestions please?

Thank you very much,

S-

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is a common problem it seems.

There are a couple of good threads (including mine) somewhere here.

Mine started to malfuntion when it was cold and it seems that condensation went into one of the doors.

Eventually it fixed itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It most likely one of your door modules. Once you get out of the car and lock it, both doors will lock and the modules will communicate with each other to confirm. If there is any error in communication, it triggers an automatic unlock. Your alarm will stay active nonetheless, which explains why your alarm goes off when you open the door. If it is under warranty, just have your dealership take car of it. If not, it's about a $490 fix at the dealership ($190 or so for module and $300 or so for labor).

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx guys, I'll see what happens this weekend and go from there. It's not under warranty but I bought it from a great dealership in Nov 08 and so far with little things like the T - Bar shifter coming off and even big things like the clutch which needed replacing shortly after I bought it, they have 100% taken care of me at N/C - really good reason to buy from a reputable dealer huh..if not, I'm a former Porsche guy so a $490.00 fix for a car so superior wont kill me too bad..lol. 'Preciate everyone's input. S-

·
Registered
92 Posts
Get in your car and close the drivers door. Manually lock the door near the door handle. Does this work smoothly. Then go over to the passenger door and do the same. The lock rods could need an adjustment. Always start with the simple things then move to the more complicated things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i would suggest getting in the car and locking the vehicle with your key fob. watch the passenger and drivers door lock. if you see one move and not the other. try locking the other manually and hitting the lock button again... if it locks and doesn't unlock again. you have a problem with that door locking mechanism... Ive seen this a few times.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Door test

Test:

*First, I got in the car, closed the doors and hit the fob lock and the drivers side did nothing, just stayed in the unlock position but the passengers side lock moved to the lock position and then instantly moved back to the unlock position.

*2nd, I manually pushed the lock on the drivers side into the lock position and the passengers side locked simultaneously and they both stayed in the lock position just fine.

*3rd, I manually pushed the passenger side lock and and it moves back to the unlock position every time.

I think that's everything you guys told me to do.

Thoughts please?

Thank you,

S-

·
Registered
92 Posts
To me it has been isolated to the drivers door being the issue. It works fine when you lock it manually so that would tell me that the door lock actuator on the drivers door is out of adjustment or needs replacing or it could be a wiring issue. This is only a guess. It can also be the lock command coming from the alarm ecu. It is difficult to fix a car when it is not in front of me. Looks like you may need the dealer or you may need an independent that knows these cars. Who ever you bring the car to let them know what you have done already and what the results were. This will help them pinpoint the issue and save you money on the diagnosis.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Door lock follow up

It most likely one of your door modules. Once you get out of the car and lock it, both doors will lock and the modules will communicate with each other to confirm. If there is any error in communication, it triggers an automatic unlock. Your alarm will stay active nonetheless, which explains why your alarm goes off when you open the door. If it is under warranty, just have your dealership take car of it. If not, it's about a $490 fix at the dealership ($190 or so for module and $300 or so for labor).

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Just wanted to thank you and the techs on here for the advice. Your diagnosis, and even the cost, was spot on. It's fixed now and working beautifully. Thanks again to all, I figure if I can walk away from any issue for just 5 bills from a Maserati dealership, I've had a very good day..!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts