Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking at buying a one owner (neglected) 2013 Maserati GT convertible
History is clean, paint looks to be original
It has roughly 31k miles and the paint is rough to say the least since its Black and was not looked after properly
The tires are bald and have bubbles and the brakes are quite worn as well
It was owned and driven by a single owner
There's some scuffs and minor door dings and scratches on the body
Doesn't look like a garage queen at all
Paint is heavily swirled
Buttons were not sticky

My biggest concern is the mechanical and electrical aspect of the car
The price is fair given the other cars I see online but it will need brakes, tires at the least
Wondering if there are any big ticket items that go wrong with these later model cars?

I have to make my decision in under 48 hours otherwise the car gets traded into a dealer for the same price I'm able to buy it for so either way, she's getting rid of the car
I have seen the car in person and was not able to test drive it or turn it on since I was just there to look at the condition while owner was out of town
Now that her replacement car has arrived, she's ready to dump it / trade it in
I'm getting first dibs on it since I went to see it and spent quite a lot of time looking over the car (inside and out)

Do the convertible roof mechanisms have issues on these cars?
Is there anything major to look out for in terms of engine, transmission, suspension, electrical, etc.

I have read lots about the early cars but this is a 2013 so I wonder if its a safe bet
Also how much should brakes cost me all the way around?
Attached are some pictures of the condition of brakes / tires etc

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Car

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Musical instrument Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

Shoe Eyewear Textile Automotive design Bag
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel Vehicle
Car Gear shift Vehicle Satellite radio Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,701 Posts
Not a garage queen would be an understatement. The paint looks pretty beaten up for just 31 K miles, IMO. Unless it was driven on gravel roads .
That aside, as for the mechanical issues of 2013 - 2014 cars not much ( if anything ) comes to mind, they’re just about bulletproof, but that depends of how they are maintained and driven.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would pass on this one. Its a 2013 for sure? It has the old interior seats and probably the old nose too. Maybe bc its not a "Granturismo Convertible S" To my knowledge the 2012 cars had the round wheel as well. I think this is a 2012.
I was wondering about the seats and looked into it. Here is what I found on the form

The 2013 sport convertibles did not get the updated seats
The 2013 MC vert got the 'new' seats with the integrated head rests..
2013 coupes got the new seats as well

I find this odd to change model years and not the seats in certain body styles?

After looking at the front end and you are correct - it is the older nose
I guess that settles it then... not as good a deal as I thought it was

·
Registered
678 Posts
I was wondering about the seats and looked into it. Here is what I found on the form

The 2013 sport convertibles did not get the updated seats
The 2013 MC vert got the 'new' seats with the integrated head rests..
2013 coupes got the new seats as well

I find this odd to change model years and not the seats in certain body styles?

After looking at the front end and you are correct - it is the older nose
I guess that settles it then... not as good a deal as I thought it was
also, I think the non-S convertibles had 20less HP or something like that.

I have a 2014 GT-S convertible FWIW, great car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
also, I think the non-S convertibles had 20less HP or something like that.

I have a 2014 GT-S convertible FWIW, great car.
Not true. The 2013 non-sport has the exact drivetrain that the sport models have.

To the OP...I wouldn't walk away from this car, I'd run away. There are too many really nice cars available and this one is going to be a money pit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
you should def pass on this car.

Also unless you are REALLLY wanting a convertible , the 2013+ coupes are better, because for whatever reason the convertible Granturismo's seem to be the stepchild lol of the model. As in there is no consistency in the body kits or the interior parts ,some have the older bumpers and side skirts, others have the newer 2013+ model bodykit (im talking about there are 2015 model convertibles with the old bumpers and seats from the factory) also just a bunch of small things. Most 2013 + coupe +cars I saw had the sport steering wheel with the flatter bottom , the interior trim is a dark gunmetal color instead of that bright silver, the upgraded seats of course and even the carpets I noticed were alittle different. some of those are of course options , but over all the convertibles up until 2017 seemed to have a random assortment of leftover spare parts instead of the coupes which basically as of 2013+ every gts coupe has all the same options in terms of trim and etc.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I will be the other side of the argument. If you are into detailing, this car just needs the works inside and out. If services have been done, tires and brakes brakes are simple consumables and you get to install what YOU want. The convert roof needs some cleanup love as well. Its all about the price here!!! Color combo esp the interior is VERY desirable. Build in a 5K+ buffer for tires, brakes, respray of bimper, detail if its not your thing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not true. The 2013 non-sport has the exact drivetrain that the sport models have.
That’s not actually true. The Sport has 10 hp more. Check page 26 of this brouchure: https://www.motorologist.com/wp-content/uploads/Maserati-Granturismo-convertible-brochure.pdf

”The 444 hp engine in the GranTurismo Convertible provides the smooth performance needed for everyday use, while revealing an unmistakable sporting character on the open road. Both the GranTurismo Convertible Sport and the GranTurismo Convertible MC develop even more power, with 454 hp on tap.”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts