Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Maserati has been transferred to Alfa and that Ferrari may go out on an IPO, why would the "new" Ferrari board continue to cooperate with Maserati on engine technology? Wouldn't they now be competitors in the marketplace? Just food for thought.

Greetings from Montreal

·
Registered
115 Posts
Depressing column in this week's Autocar, page 15.

Suggests that Alfa Brera/159 platform will be used for future Maseratis, and that the 'new' Coupe and Spyder are likely to be seriously delayed.

I'll believe all this when I see it, but right now I can't imagine anyone committing such corporate suicide. Time Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa/Lancia/Fiat got their PR act together.

Then again, can you believe anything you read nowadays?

:?:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be unfortunate if the new maserati spider/coupe would be cancelled or delayed. The rumor is that they will be re-worked as an entry level Ferrari. I find this hard to believe given that Ferrari is capable of producing approx 5000 vehicles per year and cannot even meet with the demand for their current cars (ie very long waits for the F430) let alone start producing a large number of entry level vehicles for which there would be a large demand, no doubt. This could only occur if they are purchased by a larger auto company that would dedicate their facilities towards production of the new Ferrari.

It seemed that maserati would soon be profitable given their success with the Quattroporte. All they needed was to have an improved spider/coupe in terms of styling and they would be off to the races. I prefer the understated elegance and refinement of a maserati over the "in your face" presence of a Ferrari. I have been patiently waiting for the new spider and I'm still hoping that it will occur.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have not follow the news, but Maserati has been quite active in building up its image, motorsports, and new models.

i hope this rearrangement will not distract its direction.

brand loyalty is very very important. honestly the ferrari link is very important for maserati.

the new coupe/spyder really needs to be targeted well to set a strong foothold again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with all the comments here and personally don't want to see an obvious in your face connection between Alfa and Maserati. I bought a Maserati party because of its connection to Ferrari in the showroom, engines etc.

However, I suppose if they go down the route of moving the Maserati brand downward towards Alfa, they may lose me as a customer, but may gain an awful lot more new customers. A different market perhaps?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Car and Driver Magazine recently announced that Maserati was planning a V12 Quattroporte based on the powerplant used in the 612 Scagliettit. It will be a new model to compete against the Mercedes S600 and the like, and will not replace the old model.

If this is indeed true, it means good things are in the works for Maseratisti's and the fruit are borne directly from Ferrari's "partnership" with Fiat/Maserati.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
WDMinnow
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing