Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am thinking about changing my rims for something lighter to improve the car's performance :cool:

Not super fussed on looks (though I like the Trofeos!) but can't deal with ugly chavvy designs ;)

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
HRE C Series

Hi guys, I am thinking about changing my rims for something lighter to improve the car's performance :cool:

Not super fussed on looks (though I like the Trofeos!) but can't deal with ugly chavvy designs ;)

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)
I looked at the HRE C20. It has a classic spoke design (lsimilar to a BBS LM) and is very light weight with titanium hardware. Not sure about the exact weight (BTW: posted wheel weights are very hard to find), but I did lift a 19X13 example sized for a Viper at a shop recently and I was amazed at how light it was given its size (my guess was under 20Lbs).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks like them

The major downside seems to be the price - over $6000 for a set of four!

·
Registered
744 Posts
My thoughts exactly

Not sure I'd spend that money without knowing the weight saving...
I ended up deciding to wait and put this year's budget in to the FD mods instead (due to the high cost and the only moderate performance improvement that I could gather would be obtained from the wheel investment).

If I did opt for the wheels, my thoughts were to ask the shop to weigh the existing wheels and provide some quantifiable assurance that I was going to get a significant improvement in weight (including the additional weight of larger tires). Since unsprung weight is generally at a 4:1 ratio to sprung weight from a performance persective, I reasoned that a weight improvement of around 8lbs per wheel (total including tires) would equal about 12HP and also improve the handling a bit. Debateable improvement for $6K but nonetheless probably noticeable. Anything less becomes an exercise in cosmetics IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks the TE-14s look nice, similar theme to the Trofeos too.

I'd probaby prefer something not radically different.

·
Registered
274 Posts
carbon mag wheels £800.00 each in the uk plus you will have shipping but you can avoid the 17.5% uk vat which helps

REgards loz

·
Registered
286 Posts
lol i priced the dymag wheels for my vette and was seriously considering it until i found out about the inspection required to have piece of mind. just not a viable option for a street car. i cant remember the total cost of the wheels but it was between 6k and 10k wish i could remember how much they were. the nice thing about the dymags is they are custom made to your application.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.