Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think that battery maybe too small for our cars. For smaller engine, it should work great. The reserve capacity is also too small.
I think it look like Odyssey battery which is use the same technolygy(AGM) as Optima but in the normal battery shape. Take a look at Odyssey website, you will have more detail. If I were you I will buy Odyssey instead to have a peace of mind. Sear diehard platinum is also the same as Odyssey. The spec is the same as Odyssey but Sear platinum do not come in small battery size. Many batteries are from the same factory but different brand name.

pganmol

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you are looking for a lightweight race battery check out XS Power's dry cell batteries. Full dry cell track approved and very reliable

I run thier D680 in my Track car...it is fantastic

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you are looking for a lightweight race battery check out XS Power's dry cell batteries. Full dry cell track approved and very reliable

I run thier D680 in my Track car...it is fantastic
The spec is almost the same as Odyssey PC680. They may come from same factory. Odyssey is cheaper. I want to try this small lightweight battery too but i am afraid that the reserve is too small. Is there anyone put it on Maserati or Ferrari (and on what model)?

pganmol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys!
The limited capacity makes me hesitate too. But I was thinking about getting two of them and then put them in parallel. Should be able to get enough juice out of two smaller batteries - and still have a /albeit minor/ weight gain.

...or I just start saving all my money for the Dymag's...

Thanks again
/F.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The spec is almost the same as Odyssey PC680. They may come from same factory. Odyssey is cheaper. I want to try this small lightweight battery too but i am afraid that the reserve is too small. Is there anyone put it on Maserati or Ferrari (and on what model)?

pganmol
I know XS builds thier own cells you can also get custom hold downs for thier cells.

The PC680 Has a 16AH reserve rating and weighs in at 15.4 lbs with 680CCA and is selling for about 145 according to the places that actually have them in stock

The D680 has 21 Ah reserve weights 13.3 lbs with same CCA and thier MSRP is 150 for me the weight savings and the extra capacity in the same dimensions is a better choice for a $5 premium

and the side mount hold down for the D680 is really nice

·
Registered
274 Posts
Note that if you use the battery cut off , the navtrak is inoperable and if the car was to be stolen the insurance will be null and void

jmho

regards loz

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once my landlord gets his rear-end in gear (hopefully Friday) and installs an electric outlet in my garage, the battery will be on a tender.
Will hopefully mean that I can keep all the setting on the seats and mirrors and on the radio and...

What I liked with the Dyna-Batt was that their site say "dry battery", which makes me believe that it's something else than the normal lead/acid type, possibly Li-Ion or something in that direction.

Anyhow, thanks all for your input - keep it coming

/F.

·
Registered
173 Posts
...What I liked with the Dyna-Batt was that their site say "dry battery", which makes me believe that it's something else than the normal lead/acid type, possibly Li-Ion or something in that direction.

/F.
I may be wrong, but what i think, their technology is AGM (absorbed glass mat) which is the same as Optima and Odyssey.

here is the description of AGM from one website;

" AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries
A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates. This is a very fine fiber Boron-Silicate glass mat. These type of batteries have all the advantages of gelled, but can take much more abuse.... These are also called "starved electrolyte", as the mat is about 95% saturated rather than fully soaked. That also means that they will not leak acid even if broken. "

so all the AGM battery manufacturer call their battery as "dry battery".
pganmol

·
Registered
518 Posts
pganmol

Optimas do not use starved electrolite they do leak when drilled or cracked...the upside is they are not as fussy with charging as Starved electrolite batteries are.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:mad:

Was hoping there would be a battery out there based on newer technology - AGM is still "only" a lead-acid battery...

Agree, 15 or 20lbs won't make the world of difference to the car, but I would like to take away as much weight as possible w/o sacrificing the the creature comfort.
Guess doing just that (remove insulation et.c.) would be the fastest and also probably the cheapest way to do it, but this is a GT - it is supposed to be /reasonably/ comfy.

Ta
/F.

·
Registered
518 Posts
:mad:

Was hoping there would be a battery out there based on newer technology - AGM is still "only" a lead-acid battery...

Agree, 15 or 20lbs won't make the world of difference to the car, but I would like to take away as much weight as possible w/o sacrificing the the creature comfort.
Guess doing just that (remove insulation et.c.) would be the fastest and also probably the cheapest way to do it, but this is a GT - it is supposed to be /reasonably/ comfy.

Ta
/F.
Lead Acid is the best for automotive due to its ability to be cycled repeatedly and charged without memory new battery technology is not as good as old technology in this type of situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts