Maserati Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts
7,950 Posts
You need sylvania bulbs with the nickel(silver ends) ...I have had issues with brass base bulbs, but those bulbs don't normally have that...You sure you have the correct ones? Sylvania/osramm has a catalog online...J

· Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
So…in which way does it get worse, which could make it easier to better identify where along all those circuits the problem is ? You mean something other than the license plate lights can be impacted by this eventually ? ( So far, every single one of these tail lights works perfectly, checked all those out a few times )
Because eventually it'll become a failure you can see....

C

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
You need sylvania bulbs with the nickel(silver ends) ...I have had issues with brass base bulbs, but those bulbs don't normally have that...You sure you have the correct ones? Sylvania/osramm has a catalog online...J
They are the silver ends, but they‘re Philips brand. Maybe Sylvania has a different contact ends composition even if it looks the same , so I’ll order the Sylvania ones and switch them in.

Update , after some search : .the Sylvania / osram catalog does not have the same style light bulbs , in fact they don’t have anything listed for any MaseratI in the “select your car” list. I’ve also checked Amazon, eBay, Carid, Parts Geek, and a few other sites .. anything under Sylvania license plate bulbs looks completely different than ours … It seems only Philips makes the ones like the OE ones, with silver ends .

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Wondering if there is a fuse specifically for those lights ..? I’ll also check the contacts with a voltmeter tomorrow ( with all lights on ) to see if there is any current going there.
This issue started with the OE lights in there , but it was sporadic, sometimes the lights worked, sometimes they didn’t, and the same with the alert icon, which interestingly did not correspond to the lights being on or not… had mind of its own. Now the icon is on all the time and the lights are not working at all…that’s why I‘m thinking fuse , but I can’t imagine that would be a separate dedicated plate lights fuse, which does control any other lights also ..:(

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
So I wiggled the harness quite a bit , and watched to see if anything changes in the dashboard alert or the LP lights .. No change . The insulation of the harness and wires going from the main stem look pretty intact.
Then I checked the bulbs contact brackets with a volt / amp meter : current IS going to both sides . Maybe both the old bulbs were going bad, and now the new bulbs are not the correct specs ones ? They’re Philips 12v 5w , model 12844LL 2MY- H1 silver color tips.

· Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
830 Posts
Then I checked the bulbs contact brackets with a volt / amp meter : current IS going to both sides .
Well that's a good sign....

Reactions: DSGT

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
And I'm going to ask a question which will make me sound dumb..(er) 😛, but when I replaced the bulbs I did so by holding the glass part with my fingers , and now just noticed the instructions on the package indicates never to do that when you handle the bulbs, always wear gloves or use some other instrument to hold them ( supposedly the oils from the hands, even for the few seconds you touch the glass can impact the function of the bulb and render it to a dud ) . Sounds crazy to me, but can it be true ??

· Registered
4,635 Posts
And I'm going to ask a question which will make me sound dumb..(er) 😛, but when I replaced the bulbs I did so by holding the glass part with my fingers , and now just noticed the instructions on the package indicates never to do that when you handle the bulbs, always wear gloves or use some other instrument to hold them ( supposedly the oils from the hands, even for the few seconds you touch the glass can impact the function of the bulb and render it to a dud ) . Sounds crazy to me, but can it be true ??
I've had bulbs prematurely burn out because of this, left a noticeable burned fingerprint on the bulb too.

· Registered
225 Posts
also FYI
yea this is true because the oil on your finger(which is fat/dead skin/salt/sebum) theoretically wont evaporate like water would and instead if theres enough oil , it will slowly heat and cool, which would either cause the glass to eventually crack or if the bulb gets hot enough the oil will coagulate and drip potentially into the socket connection.

· Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I handle bulbs like that all the time with dirty hands or gloves...The finger thing really applies to halogen or xexon bulbs as they get so hot..J
Maybe the H-1 on the light bulb indicates Halogen .. anyway, I ordered another set ( for $ 5 and no shipping cost I think I can afford that .. ;) ) so will use gloves this time , just for the benefit of the doubt . But if that doesn’t work, considering the current is there ( and at identical levels for both right and left sides ) , I’m just going to throw in the towel .
I don’t suppose if I remove the bulbs the dashboard icon will disappear, because it still detects something’s wrong ..😟

7,950 Posts
Man, this is a lot to replace some license plate bulbs...Gloves were involved etc...Send a pic of the bulb as I don't remember off the top of my head...It's usually a 194 or a 6418...J

41 - 60 of 91 Posts