Maserati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new to the forum, I just purchased an 03 Maserati coupe and got a good deal on it because of the fact that it has a fairly loud lifter tick coming from the drivers side head. I am a master tech myself and figured that I will just tear it apart and fix the issue. I just got the drivers side valve cover off tonight and I did find that one of the tappets has a very weak spring and is most likely the cause of the issue. There are 3 other tappets that are questionable because they have a small amount of vertical movement when I push on them with a screwdriver. Now before I tear the whole timing cover off and get into the nightmare that it appears to be, I just want to make sure that replacing these 4 bad lifters is actually going to solve the noise. Has anyone else had any luck with resolving this lifter noise? And if so, what did it take to fix it?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Normal. The lifters in these engines have poor oil retention capabilities. The bets thing to do is use a quality synthetic oil, drive the car frequently and change the oil regularly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts