Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing the discussion now that the current models are done and gone...what comes next?

- A first model year GT would probably be a risky proposition in terms of likely glitches and issues

- Hanging on to the current model brings with it parts availability concerns, plus the ever-present end-of-warranty risks.

- Maybe update to a 2005 or 2006 to get warranty coverage?

- What else? Considering a 2008 M3, Tesla, RS8...but none have the appeal and overall goodness of the Maserati

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I feel your Pain....

Rick:

I am sure everyone will be in the same boat sooner or later... Personally, I plan to keep my car after the warranty expires and deal with repairs. I have one year left and have had no major issues. The dealer will be replacing my heater blower soon.

I have a very good local mechanic that does all the fluid and filter services. I will pay the dealer for a clutch and an F1 pump.

Even if it costs me 4,000 a year to maintain (I think that is on the high end), I have no car payment so 333 a month seems like a great deal for the pleasure of our cars. At 50 - 60K, I don't think I could get anything as nice.

Given the cost of the new coupe and the lack of paddles and performance I am not too sure a new maserati is in my future. Perhaps a newer GS but for now I do not find any new cars out there in a similar price point that I love.

I would think the parts would be available for many years in the future but who knows. I am disappointed with the new direction of the company but I still love my car and will see how it goes.

Good luck.

CM

I

·
Registered
333 Posts
IMO parts will always be available, too many Guigiaro Masers have been built and sold for the plant to stop supplying parts and for the dealers not to stock them... half the $$$ of selling cars is service and parts.

Rick, I don't think it is a good idea to sell your current car just because the warranty will expire unless it has proven to be a lemon, which I think it has not. Selling your car after owning it for only three years just because the warranty has expired will have you taking the steepest part of the depreciation curve. I rather take the gamble and keep the current car... I can bet you that depreciation will be much more than what you would spend on repairs given you kept your current car for another three years.

...just my two cents

·
Registered
84 Posts
left and came back

Well I just went through this... my 2002 coupe was out of warranty and I hate not having one just for the peace of mind. And for sure I paid a lot of money for that peace of mind over the years. But after 5 mo in a Cayman S, I wasted more money, paid to get out of that car and into a 2005 GS.

I followed every bit of info I could find on these cars, looking for a pattern of failure. But none so far lots of little things here and there, no motors out of cars that I know of. So I will be back in the same boat sometime in 2009, but until then I know I love these cars and maybe I am getting old  but I don’t know how much more performance I need.

I’ve had a few full tilt bogie back road races in both cars and they were plenty fast for me. What I enjoy the most is the full package: sound, speed, feel and looks. That’s the hard part to replace with a P-car, jag, M, AMG and so on I have never owned a AM so can’t comment on that but the rest did not compare when it came to the total package.

Well maybe in 2009 or so the GT will have it’s 4.7 pushing 450+, the worlds fastest auto box and I will be a bit softer…

·
Registered
681 Posts
If they decide to offer the Gran Turismo in CC or 6spd, it will clearly be my next car, otherwise I'll be doing a 996 turbo or a Gallardo.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insights and encouragement. Since I currently have a sweet 2003 with < 14K miles on it, it sure doesn't make sense to get rid of it.

Budgeting a few grand a year for repairs does seem like a bargain for such a great car.

I think I just needed a little moral support... ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm with ya... Gran Turismo with 3 pedals and I'm in. Otherwise, it's a Vantage V8 or a Gallardo. That's if I can bring myself to ever part with the Coupe.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Continuing the discussion now that the current models are done and gone...what comes next?

- A first model year GT would probably be a risky proposition in terms of likely glitches and issues

- Hanging on to the current model brings with it parts availability concerns, plus the ever-present end-of-warranty risks.

- Maybe update to a 2005 or 2006 to get warranty coverage?

- What else? Considering a 2008 M3, Tesla, RS8...but none have the appeal and overall goodness of the Maserati

Decisions, decisions...
i dont see how risky the GT will be suffering from glitches and issues. it is basically a 2 door QP automatic. the QP has been out a few years, so the engine and mechanics should not be much of an issue. the drivetrain is new, but if it were similar to the DB9's auto, it has been tested there.

if you have concerns about your 03CC's parts issue and an 05 06 makes you more comfortable, go for a stripper or an GS.

08 M3 sounds interesting but you are going back to where you came from. Tesla is a big hype and i dont think we have seen how it really runs. RS8?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tesla..

I have seen the Tesla on the road as I live near their HQ. a very nice looking car, wasn't being raced, just being driven about 25 over the Posted Speed limit which is par for the course over here in the great Bay Area.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My Maser has been quite reliable in my now second year of ownership...it has less then 10k on it and is a joy to drive...I payed cash so there is no expense except maintainance I collect cars so there is always something else to drive...and I have restored cars so I know there is also always a way to find proper parts supplies...The maser is no different then any other italian...they are a little finicky and can be a touch expensive to maintian that is the cost of ownership...the shop that services my out of warrenty MBs and my Ferrari will take over maintainance once the warrenty is out and she doesn't need to go to Chicago anymore (unless on a weekend get away)

I am looking at a DB9 Volante next summer but I still wont get rid of the maser it has become one of my favorite cars to drive after adding the upgraded exaust I enjoy it very much ....although an ECU retune and a higher flow airfilter may be in order as well

·
Registered
695 Posts
If there is another Maser - it will probably be the QP. I could use four place seating but I'm not big on four doors - maybe the new GT would be a better fit.

Test drove a DB9 recently - I liked the Bentley Continental GT better. It is more of a cruiser with grunt that could move the QMII.

For a two place car - the AMV8 has my attention. After the test drive, the wife says I had grin on my face that matched the last time we celebrated my birthday in a strip club. Good thing she didn't bring the checkbook to the dealership. And the upcoming AM Roadster? - pure sex.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agree that the AM V8 is hot... however, I am somewhat worried about whether the new ownership will be bad or good for the brand and dealerships.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Agree that the AM V8 is hot... however, I am somewhat worried about whether the new ownership will be bad or good for the brand and dealerships.
hard to see how someone who runs prodrive will ruin aston martin. bez is still there so there is really nothing negative.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I saw Chris Bangle at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago. Yellow slacks, purple sportcoat. Everything suddenly made sense - visual insults just to be different.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I saw Chris Bangle at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago. Yellow slacks, purple sportcoat. Everything suddenly made sense - visual insults just to be different.
lol

I guess it will have. just came out today

420 hp
295 lbs of torque

less torque then the 335i (300 lbs)

I think the m6 isnt that good looking at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts