Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm on the open road, I tend to put my GranTurismo in manual mode and enjoy working the paddle shift.... but living in Korea, I am in traffic 99% of the time, which leads to me to drive in "Drive" auto mode 99% of the time. Recently, I have been using the "Sport" mode a bit more liberally. Even though my ride gets bumpier on the city street, it's a sacrifice that I'll make in order to have a more enjoyable drive.
My question: does the "Sport" mode cause more strain on the vehicle (engine, transmission, clutch, etc.) or is it no different then driving in regular "Drive" mode? Also, should i always press the "Sport" button when I am in stationary mode, or is it completely okay to press it while I'm driving (even at high speeds)? Sorry for the ignorant queries.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
This is what I know (not that much ;)) based on the Coupe/GranSport:

Sport mode is actually positive for the clutch as it has a prompter change, less slippage. Doesn't really change the Skyhooks' usage just the setting, so all in all is a positive.

You can engage it when moving but it may be wiser to do so at relatively low speed, just in case.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The GT is a different animal, it has an actual automatic transmission. Use of the sport button should not have the same effect on clutch life as it does in the old F1 transmissions. The GT has a torque converter, instead of the clutch that the F1 uses.

Eric

·
Registered
286 Posts
i believe that sport mode locks the torque converter. to give a faster harder shift. and a more sporty feel. also stiffens the dampers. oh yeah and changes the intake throttle response as well. as far as extra wear on the car is relative to revs vs time. the longer you keep the revs up the more wear you get. but who cares. the drivetrain will most likely out live you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts