Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, going to pick up my mazzy tomorrow sight unseen and I’m wonder whether you’re supposed to let off the accelerator a little bit as the car is shifting or just keep your foot down? My boss swears you’re just supposed to keep your foot down? What’s the best way to prolong clutch life? I may be a broke lawyer but at least I’m now the proud owner of a Maserati. I should probably mention that the clutch, f1 pump, heater core, and shift knob have all been fixed in the last year at the local Ferrari dealership. The car does have 100 kms though. So that’s about 60 miles

·
Super Moderator
3,861 Posts
It depends. Far more fun to keep it down, but you can make it smoother by lifting a little, but that can confuse the computers.

You'll get the knack of it :D

C

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to agree with catmanv2, I have tried letting off the throttle when shifting gears, it seems to be ok for a little while then all of a sudden the clutch seems to be slow at re-engaging and slips a bit. I find just staying in sport mode around town is best and it sounds great too. I only take it out of sport mode on the freeway, as for auto mode it feels like it's really hard on the clutch i don't use it.
Have fun..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, the computer must look at the throttle position and decide how quickly to release the clutch, the more throttle and revs the quicker it changes. It knocks the revs off for a second as it changes up gears and it rev matches as you shift down gears.
You don't need to worry about the clutch you won't kill it before you figure it out.
There is a few things they say not to do and you'll be fine.

2,954 Posts
+1...You don't let off the gas in a F1 car when shifting gears...The engine computer and transmission computer are in communication with each other as to what is going on...You make things all goofy when you let off.. J

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like usual, I have to agree with Jason. After driving manual stick for so many years I had a hard time un-learning the reflex to lift during shifts.
I also like sports mode for its up shift feel. It also makes these lovely sounding, rev matched downshifts all by itself. There is no way to tell it to let you do the downshift yourself, other than to shift before it does. In stop and go traffic I will sometimes, when approaching a ref light, pull back on both paddles to shift into neutral and skip the multiple downshifts. You just need to remember to pop it back into 1st once you stop. Otherwise you have that embarrassing rev up with no go when the light turns green.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Like usual, I have to agree with Jason. After driving manual stick for so many years I had a hard time un-learning the reflex to lift during shifts.
I also like sports mode for its up shift feel. It also makes these lovely sounding, rev matched downshifts all by itself. There is no way to tell it to let you do the downshift yourself, other than to shift before it does. In stop and go traffic I will sometimes, when approaching a ref light, pull back on both paddles to shift into neutral and skip the multiple downshifts. You just need to remember to pop it back into 1st once you stop. Otherwise you have that embarrassing rev up with no go when the light turns green.
i am not afraid to admit, i've several times in a manual car, clutch in, green light, feather and go.... only to realize i didn't slide into a gear yet. don't zone out at red lights, kids.
it is better, even, when you try to launch quick once you're in gear only to fumble it and stall. good bye ego and self esteem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, FWIW, I have formula dynamics DBW module and Jeff at FD recently set my PIS. I find when I am driving lightly, say around town, or just not aggressively, my car seems to rev up a bit before letting off on throttle to rpm match the next gear. This is worse OUT of sport mode, and slower to shift---I don't like it much at all out of sport, and when it accidently is out, it makes me think there is something wrong til I realize I am not in sport.
Well, I don't really care for it revving a bit (as tho in a manual car when you let off on the gas a split second late after you push the clutch in). So I do let off slightly just after selecting the next gear---makes for very smooth shifting. I talked to Jeff at FD about this and he didn't think it would be a problem the way I do it. But do Jason, and any others that feel the computer will be confused, think that if I do not let off that my car will eventually 'learn' not to rev slightly? Or is that just how these operate.
BTW, when I am on the throttle a bit harder, which is easy to do with the FD ECM module, the car seems to shift just fine, quickly and abruptly. I don't tend to want to let off.

Thoughts?
Curtis

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
It totally depends on the car, the PIS/setup and how well you know the car. I do feather my clutch bit at every takeoff and shift but to a passenger, it's unnoticeable. To me, it's very noticeable because it doesn't slip at all. All older QPs slip a bit during takeoff and gear changes, showing a slight bump in RPM. Mine bites hard even at low RPMs because of my shifting style. Although it's second nature to me now, when I drive a CC/GS or a older Ferrari, it takes a bit for me to adjust. They all shift a bit different. The CC/GS cars don't slip nearly as much as the QP.

Every person who rides with my asks me how I get the car to shift that "solid," even the owners of the cars I'm test driving. I try to explain and show them but I'm never successful. Nobody gets it. So I gave up lol.

Regardless, less slip equals less wear and takeoffs eat the most during normal driving conditions. So, just be easy on the takeoff (don't give it all it's got until the clutch is completely engaged) and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you guys are awesome. I'm really enjoying the car but even after a 600km drive and multiple long days out of town drives to make court applications etc in it, I still feel as though I haven't been able to get enough time driving it to satisfy myself. I catch myself looking back at it and thinking to myself..."fuck ya...I've got an exotic, fastback whip; life isn't so bad".... I'm about to buy my first part for the car, a used windshield wiper motor/transmission off ebay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts