Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit confused by all the Pirelli tire types out there.

What is the ultimate Pirelli STREET tire?

What's the difference between directional and asymetric?

What's the difference between Nera and Rosso?

How good is the Corsa tire for track-days?

Also, what AP racing brake pad should I get that would still be friendly to disks and not too squealy, but would be handy on the 2-3 track days I do a year?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am going to try....

Vredenstein the next time...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Directional means that the tire is designed to be fitted so that it rolls a particular way when going forward. However as long as the tire is mounted with the correct rotation, it doesn't matter it one way if it's on the left or the right side.

Asymetric means that when you look at the tire tread, the two sides are different, and are designed so that one side sits on the outside of the car and the other on the inside. Generally an asymetric tire is also directional.

I can't comment on Pirellis, but IMHO, I've always been extremely happy with Bridgestones, esp on Porsches.

One piece of advice, NEVER go cheap on tires - they're critical safety and security and performance items. What else keeps you on the road?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Vredenstein the next time...
have done about 50,000 miles on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's in all conditions, highly recommended. Tried Pirelli PZero Rosso, Michelin Pilot Sport, Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3, Yoko ADVAN Sport, and Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and the Sessanta's outperform them all. VERY HAPPY, although if you do a track day I'd suggest the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (though not good for all around street driving)

Just a point of trivia, the Sessanta tire was designed by Giugiaro Design (same house that did the car's body) if you're trying to "stay Italian".

For the best pricing on Vredestein, call Sander Performance Group and ask for Lucille, 1-800-227-6965. They are an authorized wholesaler and will ship the tires directly to your or your preferred install shop

·
Registered
339 Posts
Dont bother with Pirelli...

Goodyear Asymmetric F1s... AMAZING.
Really liked these on my 850 but once the latest version came out (new rubber compound), I found they took too long to warm up, and after first 2500 miles, the tires were really off balanched until they warmed up completely. I took them off after 4,000 miles despite plenty of thread left. Wondering if it's just the region (late summer/fall in NE) or if I'm just hypercritical with my tires.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Perelli Not Italian........

Russian Guy:

I am Italian and own a Maser Coupe CC with Bridgestone tires. I had every intention of replacing those tires with Perelli to "Stay Italian".............. until I looked closely at the Perilli P-Zero tires on my wife's Jaguar XK-8 and noticed that they are made in GERMANY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I agree with MaseratiBoy, "Goodyear Asymmetric F1s... AMAZING".

If it was a slight difference in performance, ok, why not stay with a italian product? But the difference is huge!

If you go Pirelli never try a Goodyear F1, you'll be sorry...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, guys, so between the Goodyear F1s, the Bridgestone somethings (on a Porsche 997 C4S), the Michelin pilot sports (had them on the RS4... but not sure just how good they were, the car was balanced like a tracktor) and Pirelli Rossas (they were the PERFORMANCE option on the RS4 actually.)

·
Registered
518 Posts
My car had the Goodyear F1 on it when I got it...I found them to be really twitchy and non progressive (prone to snap loss of traction) I run Pirelli rossos on my SL which is nice and they handle well, I have Pilot sport PS2 on my Trans Am and short of a competition tire they have great grip...On the maserati I run Yokohama Advan AVS Sports, best tire I have had since I gave up driving on r compound tires on the street.

If anyone has input on the Pirelli Corsas please provide it!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.