Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I stated yesterday. . .I just got my new (to me) '05 Coupe Cambiocorsa. I was driving around this afternoon and realized, I'm not sure where to shift. Where do you guys like to ride around. I used to have a Porsche, and kept the rpms around 3,000. . .mainly in the powerband, and sometimes tooled around in the 2,000's. . .But, the Maser's a different animal. It sounds great at any rpm, but fantastic from, say 3000 up. Do you guys tool around town at 2500, 3000, 3500, etc.? Where in the powerband do you like to keep the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to add something to this thread. I really like the Cambiocorsa transmission. In the sport mode, it shifts really fast and very smooth. I don't think I'd drive around in the normal mode, but, sport is just right. I don't know what all the knocks about the cambiocorsa transmission were about. :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to add something to this thread. I really like the Cambiocorsa transmission. In the sport mode, it shifts really fast and very smooth. I don't think I'd drive around in the normal mode, but, sport is just right. I don't know what all the knocks about the cambiocorsa transmission were about. :cool:
I use only sport mode.
I don't have a definite answer but I feel that the engine is "happiest" cruising at 3500-4500 and that is mainly where I stay (that is until I gun it up to redline!).

·
Registered
237 Posts
huh?
I don't think that is what he is asking....

·
Registered
513 Posts
don't be shy..

let her wring out....the car likes to be driven, it is designed to rev high and hard, don't treat it like a Lexus. I often see myself shifting around town at around 5000 rpms, entering a freeway, 6000-6500

·
Registered
191 Posts
need more power = more revs, it's that simple
I don't think it could be put any simpler than that.

There is no rule about when to shift in a car with a semiautomated manual, as the computer will prevent you from redlining or stalling (well, almost always). So, shift whenever you like! Wanna snap your passenger's head back and scare passerbys? Shift at 7000!

For casual driving, I usually shift around 3000-4000.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was trying out my new toy this afternoon, and I'm amazed at how much the engine just wants to rev. It's almost surreal. Anyway, I'm thinking close to 3,000 rpm's for most driving seems just right. Shift up or down depending on the situation. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like to shift around 4500. The transmission seems to like it more also. It just feels smoother at high RPMs. It's not about power or "driving" the car. I have to admit that I feel like a show-off sometimes and its unintended but the car seems to shift better at 4000+.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What about those "UP" message displayed right after shifting into a gear? I read the manual and it sez that to conserve the gas, up shift when you see it displaying "UP" at the temperature displaying section.

I tried it and it basically wants to me shift at 2000 rpm! way too low and slow. Did anybody actually tried to follow that?

Without rearding the manual, the v8 is so rev happy that i have to push myself to shift early as they tend to run into 5k rpm easily.

jess
ps. yes, I do read manuals!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think "UP" is there to get a decent EPA mileage rating, and for no other useful purpose.

·
Registered
513 Posts
you guys are scarring me...

2000, 3000 rpms??, I had a Ford Focus rental which shifted at 2500 rpms.

the Maserati is a sports car, used in racing, think Schumacher.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
If I recall correctly, the CC shifts more quickly above 5000 RPM. I always tend to shift in that range or higher. Let your baby breathe...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The UP message light is where the outside temperature is displayed

Drive gently, and you will see it.
Gently. Ha. That's a good one. ;-)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts