Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys allow me to introduce myself, some of you know me on this forum or have seen me post but most of you don't. My name is Kevin and I am the owner of NAPerformance.com. I am also a proud owner of a 2002 Maserati Spyder C.C. If you have any additional questions please post them here, PM me, email me at [email protected], and you can call me 10am-3pm at 405-255-1803 or call my cellphone at 405-410-8149 at anytime! Even if you're having technical help with the Maserati and the dealer is closed I may be able to help you!

Now I started this thread because I am in the process of taking my car apart this winter to do some modifications to it. I want to offer these products on the market also so I'm trying to get a feeler of what you guys would be interested in. Just reply with what you'd be interested in, any additional comments, and suggestions.

Exhaust Manifolds- Looking at these I see an easy 20-25whp that can be gained out of them, I am looking at charging around $2,500 for them. They will be composed of 321 Stainless Steel or an optional Titanium Version but it will be around $7,500.

Exhaust- An affordable exhaust that will be topnotch, composed of 304 stainless steel and it will come in different sound levels. I will be charging around $1,500-1,800 for these.

Test Pipes- Delete the catalytic converters these will be around $475 however note that your check engine light will go off. We may be able to find a way to integrate obdII foolers onto there but without testing I cannot gurantee anything.

And that's all I have for now.

To clear up any confusion I already offer all the namebrand items like HRE wheels, Leo Nardo Tuning, etc. I'm looking for ideas on products that are NOT on the market or something that is on the market but nobody is happy with the current products. So don't suggest something like HRE wheels, these are already available we're talking new items that will be on the market.

ALL items will be made in the U.S. or in Italy none of these items will be made in China or Hong Kong with terrible quality. I will be testing every product on the dyno and on my car for at least 500 miles before putting it on the market. So I am investing quite a bit into each product.

Looking forward to feedback.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW I am talking about items for Coupe/Spyders or Gransports.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'd be down with some body kits..tasteful ofcourse.
How soon would your exhausts be ready? and could you post some sound clips.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
STARDOC said:
I'd be down with some body kits..tasteful ofcourse.
How soon would your exhausts be ready? and could you post some sound clips.
I plan on doing everything this winter unless there is interest before then. If 3-4 people are willing to purchase an exhaust as long as it meets their expectations in the sound,performance, and looks department then I'd be willing to put them into production today and get them done in a few weeks.

I'm not going to be doing any body kits unless there is more demand for it. Body kits are to much of a headache finding a company that will get exact fitment, and then the damage in shipping that tends to happen.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
390 Posts
Straight line performance isn't so huge to me...upgraded shocks are the only performance upgrade I'd consider, but I don't know if I can or can't do this since it has the Skyhook adjustable things. I'm not your typical "modder" though, I generally keep things almost or completely stock.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
squid said:
Straight line performance isn't so huge to me...upgraded shocks are the only performance upgrade I'd consider, but I don't know if I can or can't do this since it has the Skyhook adjustable things. I'm not your typical "modder" though, I generally keep things almost or completely stock.
Which is completely understood, modifying isn't everyone's thing. I am looking into different stages of upgraded suspension though and trying to find a manufacturer that can make us some springs without having to wait months.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
246 Posts
I guess I'm looking for something that will give a confirmed 10-20% HP increase at the engine. All I have seen so far on chip upgrades get maybe a 5-6% increase at an unacceptable $2-4K, with 93 octane fuel, which is a pain in California, and certainly not available when driving long distances. The engine itself certainly seems capable of this sort of upside, since it has been apparently detuned so that it doesn't threaten the Ferrari.
Mike

·
Registered
909 Posts
At a recent carshow, there was a gentleman with a 2002 Spyder, which according to himself, and one other person who knows the car has had only a freeflow exhaust and a chip added. He claims the two additions take it to an even 500hp.

He revved the thing up for me a few times, and I was definately listening as he tore out of the parking lot.. It definately lost most of its distinctive sound.. Sounded like a plain V8 with straight pipes.. But it was undeniably fast.

I don't know if he has had it on a dyno, or what the actual horsepower is, but both the owner, and the guy that did the tuning claimed it was 500bhp on pump gas.

- Mark

ps. it certainly didn't have any warranty left.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, I like the sound of my current exhaust mod, which didn't void any warranty because the dealer offered it as part of the original sale, and installed it. My mod is pretty simple - replacement of the rear mufflers with straight pipes. Get compliments on it all the time (except from my wife!).

That said, I'd like to find a chip upgrade that provides a substantial HP improvement. If this guy got 500HP, most of it had to come from the chip, not the new exhaust. Supposedly, most of these chip upgrades are 'invisible'
to the dealer. Any idea on the supplier of his chip?
Mike

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no chip in the world that will give you anywhere near 100bhp. That guy was obviously full of it and if he was making 500hp which I very highly doubt it was from more then a chip and exhaust, I can gurantee you that.

The main place that I think we're going to get HP is out of the exhaust manifolds. On the Ferrari F355 people told us our manifolds wouldn't give much over the stock, after 2 dyno vids and graphs to prove it we gained a peak of 15whp and 25whp throughout certain RPM's compared to stock. With that being said I honestly think more then that is potential out of the Maserati manifolds.

Again appreciate all the input guys. If you're really wanting to see an aftermarket world for Maserati grow, here's your chance.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Kevin

with an exhaust manifold ( i think the old school terminology would be "headers", would be great and I agree if designed correctly can provide significant Hp gain (my lotus has a custom job and provided about 18 hp gain), however do you plan on getting your stuff C.A.R.B exempt? I am over in California with a pretty hardcore smog test, .....plus a visual inspection which before the CAT is a no-no, unless CARB exempt

I too find the claim of 100hp out of a chip, utter nonsence, perhaps on a turbo vehicle, 40-50 is possible, on a normally aspirated car, 15-25 at most

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
demoe said:
Kevin

with an exhaust manifold ( i think the old school terminology would be "headers", would be great and I agree if designed correctly can provide significant Hp gain (my lotus has a custom job and provided about 18 hp gain), however do you plan on getting your stuff C.A.R.B exempt? I am over in California with a pretty hardcore smog test, .....plus a visual inspection which before the CAT is a no-no, unless CARB exempt

I too find the claim of 100hp out of a chip, utter nonsence, perhaps on a turbo vehicle, 40-50 is possible, on a normally aspirated car, 15-25 at most
The interest isn't even there to put them into production. I will not be getting these items C.A.R.B exempt simply because it's a huge headache and will cost me alot of money. So unless I know I can sell 100-150 of these manifolds then no don't plan on seeing them or anything I produce become C.A.R.B exempt.

With that being said about 35% of my aftermarket parts customers (Ferrari/Porsche/Supra/Viper/Etc) are in California. Some of these guys have cars with no cats, egr system, etc.

Here are your three choices if you want to use my manifolds in Cali, everytime you go to SMOG then unbolt them and put stock ones back on (not even worth the trouble). Or find a person you can slip something under the table to. As much as I hate saying something like that I know plenty of people that have to result to doing this. Or move to a different state. ;)

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
909 Posts
I doubted that there was that much left in a NA engine that a chip and exhaust could give 100hp. From the sound of the exhaust I wouldn't be surprised if he had different headers, and essentially nothing but straight pipes. I don't know how much they did on the intake \ throttlebody side of things. From listening to it, I highly doubt they got as far as cams, or anything else that could have given it that extra claimed power.

Judging by his exit, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the 430-440hp range, but I doubt it was any higher than this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
no chipping or lowering for me (been there with Porsches). All I need is a decent set of floor mats (front). I tried to order some, but no vendor would do the Trident, or the Maserati script. I even tried Maserari, but no go...There was also an "atelier" in Europe that would do them, but the shipping was $100. I bought generic ones at Pep Boys and the fuzz comes off in balls. Looks like I am keeping a car in my Maserati !
:0

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
v12gte said:
no chipping or lowering for me (been there with Porsches). All I need is a decent set of floor mats (front). I tried to order some, but no vendor would do the Trident, or the Maserati script. I even tried Maserari, but no go...There was also an "atelier" in Europe that would do them, but the shipping was $100. I bought generic ones at Pep Boys and the fuzz comes off in balls. Looks like I am keeping a car in my Maserati !
:0
While I do appreciate the feedback sir. Floor Mats are not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about aftermarket items in general that are performance or asthetic related. However if there is enough interest for Floor Mats I guess we can try to do something although it is an odd inquiry.

With Best Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maseroche said:
How about a set of springs designed to work with the stock suspension for cars that don't have the skyhook package.
Completely possible as long as there is demand.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bump more feedback please.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
MVP
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing