Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if downshifting alla Schummi while left foot braking puts any undue strain on the clutch. Can the computer accept this?

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs spyder
06 Gs coupe (pending)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I don't know for certain but when driving hard I do downshift whilst braking and I don't think it particularly strains the clutch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
its very common to brake while down-shifting so why should it matter if its left-or-right foot braking?

Just try to blip on downshifts to smoothen it out (and add to the fun factor!).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Left Foot Braking

I Was Always Taught To Uprev In Neutral, Can This Be Done On A F1 System, Does't It Do It Automatically?in Sport Mode The Shifts Will Be Much Quicker And Seems Difficult To Fill In Before The Change.

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder
06 Gs Coupe(incoming)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I went to a track day put on by our local Maser/Ferrari dealer, with instructors, with my 2003 Spyder. The instructor taught the Maser and 360 owners to blip the throttle on downshifts (this was before the F430 was introduced, so I don't know what they recommend for that car). Yes, the computer does most of the job, but you can smooth it out with the properly timed blip. Now that I have a F430, I find myself even blipping in that car on downshifts, and that transmission is night and day better than the Maser or 360.
You'll get lots of opinion on this, but I can assure you that some seasoned instructors recommend downshifting with blipping, at least on the track. While the other groups were on the track, they had us practice this up and down the dragstrip portion of the facility.
Oh yeah, and it sounds SO MUCH BETTER as well!!!
Mike

They do so automatically when in sport mode (at least the GS does).

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Question: as you don't put the car in Neutral with the F1 transmissions, when do you actually blip? Say you go from 5th to 3rd, do you blip just after shifting down to 4th and once again after shifting down to 3rd?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, I blip on each downshift. A related question would be - what if you hit the downshift paddle twice in rapid succession? In this case the car will downshift two gears 'at once'. I am not sure, but I think it might skip re-engaging the clutch at the mid-point, say between 5 and 4, if going straight from 5 to 3. Timing the blip might be more difficult, esp. if there are actually two, very quick, clutch disengage/re-engage cycles.
Now I'm getting a headache thinking about it.
Mike

Question: as you don't put the car in Neutral with the F1 transmissions, when do you actually blip? Say you go from 5th to 3rd, do you blip just after shifting down to 4th and once again after shifting down to 3rd?

·
Registered
31 Posts
There willl be a short period when the gears are in 'neutral' when you downshift and that is when you should blip. This only works for going down 1 gear tho; have not tried 2 in quick succession as i feel a scenario like this is quite uncommon, no?

Maybe when you're cruising in a straight line and want to drop a couple of gears to get moving? Else i'm not too sure when this is needed.

Generally this blip is introduced as you click on the paddle but timing will differ as the gaps between the gears are not constant (i.e. the 2->1 downshift has a pretty big gap compared to 5->4) so probably blip a bit later for the bigger gaps...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The next question is do you blip with the right foot like a conventional gear box, right foot on the brake roll your foot over to the throttle or left foot brake and just blip with your right foot?

06 06 QP SPORT(TRIPLE BLACK)
06 GS SPYDER (RED TAN)
06 GS COUPE ( ANNIV BLUE)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Doesn't matter - left or right depending on your preference.
I was taught to drive with a standard transmission and have retained my right foot braking style. I have tried to change, but the reflexes, after 45 years of driving, are just too ingrained.
Younger drivers for the most part, and, I think, most F1 race car drivers today, use left foot braking, because they are driving cars without clutch pedals. It has to be technically more efficient if you can do it. Just don't be like those bozos driving around pressing both pedals at the same time!!!!

The next question is do you blip with the right foot like a conventional gear box, right foot on the brake roll your foot over to the throttle or left foot brake and just blip with your right foot?

06 06 QP SPORT(TRIPLE BLACK)
06 GS SPYDER (RED TAN)
06 GS COUPE ( ANNIV BLUE)

·
Registered
824 Posts
The only reason to left foot brake is to have your right foot on accelerator at the same time.

This is very common in racing (and track days) and rallying to maintain the car's balance in a corner. If you're driving this way on the street, it is probably pointless, and on the CC, will probably confuse the TCU computer to some degree.

My $0.02, use your right foot to brake when driving on the street.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Left foot braking

Your'e right Glenn, about confusing the computer and balancing the car in the corners like in autocrossing. Left foot braking is probably safer coming to an intersection, if your'e left foot is there you do not lose any time braking in case of an emergency, thats why I taught myself.At Bertol Roos I remember him saying in street driving keep your foot at the brake pedal when crossing you don't lose that much speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts