Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've been goin back and forth now for over a year. I'm ready to move on from my 00 Jaguar XKR coupe. I've been a jag fan for a while this is my 5th. After watching top gear's review of the 02 Maser Coupe it made me somewhat concerned. Basically they said the maser was "Stuck between a Jaguar rock and a Ferrari hard Place". Not luxurious enough to be a Jag but not fast enough to be a Ferrari.

It's not that I feel the jag is SLOW (370hp,383tq) but my biggest problem with it is the fact that all they offer for it is an automatic. And since I had a and 05 GTO (400hp,400tq) 6 speed before I miss having control and of course the Goat was faster :)

I'd just like to know what I'll be missing when I give up the XKR. And what I'll be gaining. I mean I'm young and there are not many XKRs in the area so I get plenty of looks and "what kind of car is that?" so I'll be use to that even though I'm sure you'll get more in the Maser.

The XKR Navigation sucks too in comparison to my Infiniti FX35 so I don't think the maser can be much worse. I raced an M3 the other night and WALKED him,lol. But I'm not beating the cobra's like I use to in the GTO :( I think the jag is a very sexy car but I need something a little more aggresive and youthful.

I haven't even had a chance to drive a Maser yet due to the fact of how hard they are to locate around here and the nearest dealer being almost an hour away and me not wanting to drive all that way just to hear from them they want to pull credit, take a blood sample, and hold my dog hostage just to drive a $50k preowned car because I'm young and they figure I'm out playing games. And plus I don't plan to buy from them anyways. I think I've located the one I want in Texas.

Anyone in the Chicago area willing to let me drive their coupe I'd appreciate it. You're more than welcome to feel the wrath of Jag-u-ar :)

Any insight you guys can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have owned 2 Jags and 2 Ferrari's.

In fact, I traded my XK8 in on my Maserati (the other was an XJR).

That said, I feel Maserati is a love child between the two. It has the near-performace/exotic of the Ferrari and the luxury of the Jaguar.

My 04 Coupe's back seats are much more usable than the XK's, they are even bigger than the 612 or 456.

Maserati's will not get as much attention as a Ferrari, but garner more than a Jaguar. Overall, I am very happy with the Maser.

Go to a dealer and test drive one. Also test drive a 360, 575, or Gallardo so you know what they feel like to compare.

Best,
dsd

·
Registered
681 Posts
A large % of us on this board are under 30.

I've owned an 02 Spyder and currently own an 06 Coupe. I love this car, people often ask me "Why a Maserati?". I simply tell them "Performance and engine of a Ferrari, luxurious as a Bentley (slight exageration there), and I got it all for the price of a new fully loaded Escalade!".

I love these cars, very fun to drive, very reliable, and very practical. Give me a call on my cell if you have any specific questions 1-405-604-1252!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I went from an XK8, granted not the R version, to my Maser and I haven't looked back. I know the XKR is a powerful machine, but I always felt in my XK8 that I was driving a very nice family car, but still it felt like a family car. Nice looking, nice interior, very smooth and soft ride.
The Maser is just as nice looking, or better, and has just as nice an interior, or better, and is a much more responsive and powerful machine. On the track it really shows itself. It doesn't ride as smooth and soft as the Jag, by a long shot, but isn't that the point?!?!
In my mind, it is the best buy on the market for the money. 400hp, F1 tranny, reasonable race track performance.
Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like the maser is the way to go. Looks like I might just own on eby the end of the week :) Plese keep the advice coming tho. How is reliability in comparsion?

·
Registered
681 Posts
nomorejags said:
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like the maser is the way to go. Looks like I might just own on eby the end of the week :) Plese keep the advice coming tho. How is reliability in comparsion?
Most the people that have problems are the ones who keep them in climate controlled garages, "baby them" and drive them around the block once every 3 months. No offense to anyone who doesn't drive their car, I just don't understand you.

If you actually drive your car you won't have many problems with it.Consistent problems seem to be the pump in the cambicorsa model failing which is $1k in parts and roughly another $1k in labor. Figure this will fail every 25,000 miles.

For what it's worth I daily drive/drove both of mine with absolutely NO MAJOR PROBLEMS!

In my 02:

My dash lights would cut off at night because of a short, got this fixed under warranty.

In my 06:

Check engine light P2187 comes on every 500 miles, apparently very common in 06 models, it doesn't really mean anything just a throttle position sensor and when I reset it, it goes away and then comes back after another 500 miles.

They are extremely reliable cars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would rate the Maser and the Jag to be equally reliable. I have found that maint is about the same on them.

I would have no problems recommending a Jag to Maser upgrade. However, please try and drive one before you buy.

Best,
dsd

·
Registered
824 Posts
Check out some of the maintenance cost threads. Definitely plan on new rear tires every year/10,000 miles and a $3k clutch every 2 years/20,000 miles.

Fantastic car though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Having owned several Maserati's in the 80's and 90's.

I had a similar dilema a few years ago. Have a Jag Sedan, wanted a sports car, ended up adding a C5 Corvette to my driving choices. Then the Maserati "re-introduction" back in '02 started the interest all over again.
Except I aquired a Ferrari Dino 308 GT4. That only satisfied me for about 24 months.

Last year I could not control the urge and started to consider replacing the Jag.

Moral of my story....

Keep the Jag and add a Maser to the stable. That is what I did.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eurodino said:
Having owned several Maserati's in the 80's and 90's.

I had a similar dilema a few years ago. Have a Jag Sedan, wanted a sports car, ended up adding a C5 Corvette to my driving choices. Then the Maserati "re-introduction" back in '02 started the interest all over again.
Except I aquired a Ferrari Dino 308 GT4. That only satisfied me for about 24 months.

Last year I could not control the urge and started to consider replacing the Jag.

Moral of my story....

Keep the Jag and add a Maser to the stable. That is what I did.
Well if that option was cost prohibitive I probably would. I'm in the process of moving to a new home on the lake so I'll have to sacrifice something. If business continues it's upward trend maybe in february I'll be in the market for a nice work car. I would get a 745i but I see 50 million of them on the stree so that leaves me with the option of ann XJR,S-type R or something else I don't see on every corner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
nomorejags said:
Well if that option was cost prohibitive I probably would. I'm in the process of moving to a new home on the lake so I'll have to sacrifice something. If business continues it's upward trend maybe in february I'll be in the market for a nice work car. I would get a 745i but I see 50 million of them on the stree so that leaves me with the option of ann XJR,S-type R or something else I don't see on every corner.
Perhaps an A8L or S8? :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
First of all. I have seen all of the Top Gear reviews and feel they are inaccurate. Im sorry, I like the show, but their reviews, both old and new, of the maserati is misleading. I think they expected the handling of a lotus and the power of a ferrari 430. The Maserati is a gentleman's racer on the track and a very lively sporting/gentlemen's coupe on public roads.

I have owned a few jaguars in the past, not the XKR though.

I havent driven the XKR but based on my past experience with recent jaguar models, i would suggest that the jag is going to ride more comfortably and may handle better in wet weather. Since the XKR is a new model, you will probably have less problems with the Maserati. I have had no problems that were directly a result of the factory/rather my one issue was with software upgrades performed by the dealer. I had a first year X type and the car was constantly in service for minor irritating issues.

The masterati is much more sport orientated. The transmission setup is not like other paddle shift systems. Its a manual trans converted to f1. not an auto trans with an f1 option. It's raw power vs a refined jaguar power. In comparing the interiors, I think you will find the leather and trim in the maserati to be excellent. I would suggest you opt for the full leather on the headliner as it makes for a cozy interior.

I also chose the vintage package as it provides a touch of chrome accents including polished aluminium rims.

Good luck and be sure to drive one before you buy it and by all means install a tubi exhaust system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts