Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for a new car and noticed that Coupes and Spyders can be had for a reasonable amount. Where can I learn the ins and outs pros and cons of owning one?

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You need to read the threads here...

Tom,
most of us here are do it yourself (DIY) kind of folks... You can read the threads here and get all the information you want from car values, repairs, who has parts, who can help, etc.. This board is almost like a mini on line Maserati help line.. Feel free to ask any questions and those of us here will be happy to respond. After you are comfortable with Maserati then pick out a car, show us what you are thinking about buying, someone here has most likely owned the car or knows the car and then we can provide tips... Once you own a Maserati, you will never find another car that stirs your soul so much!

Happy Reading!

-Mark

·
Registered
824 Posts
The biggest choice you will face (other than Spyder vs Coupe, which is strictly a practicality vs style issue: the spyder has 2 seats, the coupe has 4) is CambioCorsa (manu-matic gearbox aka "CC") vs the floor shift manual with clutch pedal (aka "GT")

There are many threads on maintenance costs and issues of the CC, mostly reduced clutch life and transmission (F1) pump failures. It is looking like F1 pump rebuild/replacement is not so much rocket science but a straightforward electric motor rebuild.

Clutch replacement is expensive, but the driving experience of the CC gearbox is pretty good, as it is a manual gearbox with no clutch pedal but with paddle shifters, and can shift quite fast, and is great on the track or on the open road. Not so good in traffic, though providing the road is reasonably flat I really have no issues with traffic.

Many criticize the GT as having a "rubbery gearshift" but at least it won't leave you stranded with a F1 pump failure.
GTs are harder to find, you will have fewer choices.

There is also a Gransport coupe (aka GS) which has +10 HP and +3 MPH top speed and firmer suspension, and slightly different interior and exterior styling. There is also a 90th Anniversay Spyder which is effectively a "GS spyder"

Another decision point on all the cars (other than the myriad of non-mechanical options) is the Skyhook suspension: some people love it, and it also provides for manual ride height adjustment, but with fewer aftermarket options. Most people say the Skyhook on Sport (firm) is the same as non-Skyhook, which is ok because Skyhook on soft is good if you are driving on bumpy roads like we have here in Seattle.

One point people here don't discuss much is that Skyhook is an active system, so for example when you accelerate hard, Skyhook will stiffen the rear suspension to reduce squat, and when you brake hard it will stiffen the front suspension to reduce dive.

The final decision point on Coupe and Spyder is earlier car (02-04) or facelifted car (05-06) with larger front and rear grille. (GS were only made 05+ I think). Strictly a cost vs appearance decision.

The engines are fantastic, will run all day at 7,000 RPM and generally have no issues. Most of our discussions center around the transmissions and suspension.

I would place higher value on a car that has full service history with a dealer that is known to be competent. There are a lot of cars you will see on eBay with a pretty sketchy history.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the synopsis. That is what I was looking for. I can now read further on the trans and suspension. I think I like the Coupe a little bit better.

As far as maintenance costs go can anyone give and annual estimate?

I am really surprised by the depreciation these cars are showing. Any thoughts on why that is? I am looking at 02-05's with under 30k miles for under $40k. Maybe it's normal, but it seems like a great option to me.

·
Registered
722 Posts
High end cars in general seem to depreciate substantially in a few years, some better, some worse. IMHO much of the post-warranty depreciation is due to potential 2-5K$ fixit episodes (if done at the dealer).

Still a 4-year old Maser is a lot of car for the money. Buy carefully and keep some of the unused cash in the bank for that rainy-day fixit surprise.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Each service is appx $1500 to $2000

Tires are about $1500 every 7k-12k miles

Gas is about 80 bucks every 160-180 miles

Insurance is a few thousnad

the clutch is about $2000 to $3000 every 15k - 20k miles

F1 pump is about $3000 every 20k-25k miles.

The car is expensive to maintain ;]

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks so much for the breakdown. That gives me a great insight into the total ownership costs.

Next step: I'm going to go for a test drive!
Just remember that the car has some significant compromises in stock trim - you may be a litttle underwhelmed on your test drive (I know that I was). The biggest issue is the soft springs followed by the spongy brakes. The engine is the highlight - strong and revs nicely but unfotunately it has to work pretty hard to push a heavy car and the stock exhaust is restrictive and sounds a bit lame.

All of these issues are easily remedied by budgeting for some modifications from Formula Dynamics (I would recomment the springs, ECU, brake pads and exhaust as a miniumum). It will be a different and far superior car after that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks so much for the breakdown. That gives me a great insight into the total ownership costs.

Next step: I'm going to go for a test drive!
Let us know what you think after the test drive....

Despite the comment about possibly being underwhelmed, for me it was love at first test drive (2005 Coupe GT w/ Skyhook).

Also, maybe it's cause I'm so old, but my insurance increased only about $500 per year when I added the Maserati to my Geico policy (as a third car, just my wife and I as drivers, both 40+ (of course, the wife says she's only 39...)).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts