Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Is it possible, somehow, that the new clutch closed position was input wrongly? Was the new clutch warmed up sufficiently before measuring then entering the "new clutch" value? Or, seeing as your software is CFC201... will it not accept these inputs, and instead does some of these measurements on a self-learning basis? We need some heavyweights in the F1 transaxle to weigh-in.

On another note, was the F1 clutch position transmitter replaced without disassembly, somehow through the starter motor hole, or somehow through an opening in the bellhousing? Or was it done along with a new clutch?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Three pedals = Good
No one likely would dispute that... and no one would dispute that a CC, DS, F1, or MC Shift system is a very complex system with zero tolerance for any one part having a fault. But a high performance 6MT, and generally the close-ratio one in the 4200 cars, has a fairly tough clutch push force / travel and there's a fair amount of "monkey-motion" required to make the car go, and accelerate fast. This, it likely could be said, has no place in specifically the QP-V, and to varying degrees (albeit less-so, for sure) in the 4200 cars.

A properly operating F1 system, optimally set-up, operates very nicely.

I'm the first person to say I like a 6MT; I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual transmission guy... but I really do like the F1 (et al) systems.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think the answer is just to drive the car, as Jason originally suggested, if it is driving well. If anything has to be done, maybe reduce the PIS a bit... but only if you figure the clutch is slipping a bit too much. It'd be safest, in reality, just to leave it alone.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Measurement of the clutch position is accurate, there is no doubt about it.

On X431, only the clutch wear formula has an error using wrong constant (7mm instead 5,6mm), but that doesn't change problem above.
To know the actual level of wear, use formula:
View attachment 144517
So, despite the wonky negative value, using your formula, the original poster's clutch is worn 12.1%... It's easy, just use the clutch position values and do the calculation.

You can see, then, that an unscrupulous seller can "adjust" the NEW clutch closed position, and can make it appear (upon interrogation with an SD, a Leo, or a Launch) that the clutch is not worn much at all... I wonder if there is a way of determining the date-stamp of when NEW clutch closed position has been entered? Then corroborate that with the date of the components purchase receipts, or the clutch-job service... Scammers probably can fudge those dates too...

Cheers!

·
Registered
604 Posts
OK, I was understand 30.000 km !
Normal wear is arround 1% for 1000 km.
I think the system starts to balk at wear percentages of 70% and higher, often, meaning you cannot often extract 100% of the wear between clutch replacements. Your figures then mean you can get 70,000 km / 43,000 miles out of a clutch on average... in the same realm as Jason's figures, though a bit higher. 1% wear per 1000 km is a nice round number though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Urban legend create by dealer. This is raison of bad F1 reputation.
You can use 100%, and more, of your clutch.
This 100% correspond at minimun usable thickness, without manufacturer's safety margin.
I'd like to hear @[email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta weigh-in about his experience of when cars start to fault, based only on % of clutch used...

I also don't understand why, in an effort to use the full 5.6 mm of clutch lining (shared between a total of four (4) friction surfaces) a person could not input a fudged "NEW" clutch closed TOB position reading, and do a relearn of the correlation between clutch slave pressure and clutch TOB position... while STILL using the old clutch?

Now I realize that an unscrupulous person could then misrepresent his/her car in this way... but from my perspective if you buy an F1 transaxle car DO expect to renew the whole system right away; if you don't have to, it's "gravy". With this perspective, don't set yourself up for disappointment from the get-go...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts