Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled a reading from my car this afternoon, there are about 10000 miles on this new clutch, does this value seem right. Does it generally present as a negative percentage? What am I looking for? What's good, what's bad? Thanks!

Rectangle Screenshot Font Software Parallel

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is it possible, somehow, that the new clutch closed position was input wrongly? Was the new clutch warmed up sufficiently before measuring then entering the "new clutch" value? Or, seeing as your software is CFC201... will it not accept these inputs, and instead does some of these measurements on a self-learning basis? We need some heavyweights in the F1 transaxle to weigh-in.

On another note, was the F1 clutch position transmitter replaced without disassembly, somehow through the starter motor hole, or somehow through an opening in the bellhousing? Or was it done along with a new clutch?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure anything is possible, but the clutch was changed, and the PIS was set by an Maserati dealer, and 3 years later, rechecked by a different Maserati dealer, who gave me an actual value, and didn't note anything wrong. At this point I have to assume its an anomaly with the Launch software? Does anyone have a screenshot of a Launch clutch reading with differently formatted values?

7,157 Posts
I trust the dealer and not that wuhan software...People are getting these scan tools and digging into the numbers, but I don't get the point...What are you gonna do about it? If the car drives fine 99.9% of people are just gonna keep driving the thing...That is what I would do...The software most likely just has a flaw and the car has about 10% clutch wear...Jason

·
Registered
613 Posts
Three pedals = Good
No one likely would dispute that... and no one would dispute that a CC, DS, F1, or MC Shift system is a very complex system with zero tolerance for any one part having a fault. But a high performance 6MT, and generally the close-ratio one in the 4200 cars, has a fairly tough clutch push force / travel and there's a fair amount of "monkey-motion" required to make the car go, and accelerate fast. This, it likely could be said, has no place in specifically the QP-V, and to varying degrees (albeit less-so, for sure) in the 4200 cars.

A properly operating F1 system, optimally set-up, operates very nicely.

I'm the first person to say I like a 6MT; I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual transmission guy... but I really do like the F1 (et al) systems.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
No one likely would dispute that... and no one would dispute that a CC, DS, F1, or MC Shift system is a very complex system with zero tolerance for any one part having a fault. But a high performance 6MT, and generally the close-ratio one in the 4200 cars, has a fairly tough clutch push force and there's a fair amount of "monkey-motion" required to make the car go, and accelerate fast. This, it likely could be said, has no place in specifically the QP-V, and to varying degrees (albeit less-so, for sure) in the 4200 cars.

A properly operating F1 system, optimally set-up, operates very nicely.

I'm the first person to say I like a 6MT; I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual transmission guy... but I really do like the F1 (et al) systems.
No doubt, and not meant to offend! I freely admit that I am Not Smart Enough to drive a CC.

@jlobo941 is a personal hero of mine, and has always been there whenever I have had an issue. I even bought the Launch on his sage advice. But...having the 6MT, I am absolutely of no help on this matter. And thought perhaps I could "tweak" my friend (having seen his post) and maybe get others to help him out by adding a post to the thread...!

7,157 Posts
Here is your conundrum.. you either think the knock off software is correct or the dealer tech.with the factory tool didn't know what he was doing...I don't trust that software on CC cars at all...For the record..I can't stand the 3 pedal cars in Maserati or Ferrari cars...The F1 is the only way to go IMO...The people converting 430s etc. for 20K need drug testing...Jason

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think the answer is just to drive the car, as Jason originally suggested, if it is driving well. If anything has to be done, maybe reduce the PIS a bit... but only if you figure the clutch is slipping a bit too much. It'd be safest, in reality, just to leave it alone.

·
Registered
4200 MY2003
19 Posts
Measurement of the clutch position is accurate, there is no doubt about it.

On X431, only the clutch wear formula has an error using wrong constant (7mm instead 5,6mm), but that doesn't change problem above.
To know the actual level of wear, use formula:
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Here is your conundrum.. you either think the knock off software is correct or the dealer tech.with the factory tool didn't know what he was doing...I don't trust that software on CC cars at all...For the record..I can't stand the 3 pedal cars in Maserati or Ferrari cars...The F1 is the only way to go IMO...The people converting 430s etc. for 20K need drug testing...Jason
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
613 Posts
Measurement of the clutch position is accurate, there is no doubt about it.

On X431, only the clutch wear formula has an error using wrong constant (7mm instead 5,6mm), but that doesn't change problem above.
To know the actual level of wear, use formula:
View attachment 144517
So, despite the wonky negative value, using your formula, the original poster's clutch is worn 12.1%... It's easy, just use the clutch position values and do the calculation.

You can see, then, that an unscrupulous seller can "adjust" the NEW clutch closed position, and can make it appear (upon interrogation with an SD, a Leo, or a Launch) that the clutch is not worn much at all... I wonder if there is a way of determining the date-stamp of when NEW clutch closed position has been entered? Then corroborate that with the date of the components purchase receipts, or the clutch-job service... Scammers probably can fudge those dates too...

Cheers!

7,157 Posts
No, there isn't a way to do that...That is why I'm not all hung up on these values..They last about 30k and you need receipts ...Between scan tools spitting out wrong numbers and shops entering wrong data you are just kinda chasing your ass IMO...Part of owning a F1 car..Jason

Reactions: Catmanv2

·
Registered
613 Posts
OK, I was understand 30.000 km !
Normal wear is arround 1% for 1000 km.
I think the system starts to balk at wear percentages of 70% and higher, often, meaning you cannot often extract 100% of the wear between clutch replacements. Your figures then mean you can get 70,000 km / 43,000 miles out of a clutch on average... in the same realm as Jason's figures, though a bit higher. 1% wear per 1000 km is a nice round number though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts