Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best technique for launching the car from a dead stop (e.g. dragstrip start)?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Sort have the same question as I noticed that flooring the throttle tends to get the MSR kicking in and spoiling the fun (obviously I could turn it off but I'd rather have my safety aids on ;)).

You racing types got some advice? :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
launch !

Yea , ive had trouble getting off the line quick in my CC. I ve tried most ways ( traction on , sport ,no traction ) to match the quoted 0-60 time , but the best my GPS data logger has ever recorded is 5.5 secs with heaps of tyre smoke and opposite lock . how do i get into the 4 s !!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've always been suspicious of the 0-60 specs. They were probably done in ideal circumstances, with a non-US emissions car, higher octance than is generally available in the US (at least in Calif), etc....
Anyway, the best launches require turning off MSR, and preloading the clutch (raising the rpm enough to have the clutch begin engaging with your foot on the brake). This, of course, if REALY hard on the drive train, and will wear the clutch heavily. On Euro-model Ferrari F430's for example, there is even a launch mode that does all this for you.
The car just wasn't designed for jack rabbit starts, but rather for road course driving.
Mike

Yea , ive had trouble getting off the line quick in my CC. I ve tried most ways ( traction on , sport ,no traction ) to match the quoted 0-60 time , but the best my GPS data logger has ever recorded is 5.5 secs with heaps of tyre smoke and opposite lock . how do i get into the 4 s !!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Our Drive By Wire Enhancement Module (DBWEM) improves off the line starts dramatically on the 4200.

With a stock car, you need MSP off and you have to learn how to launch, it's not easy and takes lots of practice to get it anywhere near close to right.

We took a stock CC Coupe to the track with an E46 M3 SMG and it was not a pretty site... lots of clutch wear from the CC and poor starts, the M3 pretty much won every single start although it still had problems next to the GT Coupe that we also had there, it was the all around winner. We haven't brought a DBWEM version back to compare start times but it's safe to say that it is noticably better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Seat of the pants...

Having had multiple M3's including a standard E46, there's no doubt in my mind that the Maserati is the quicker car. The launch is the car's Achille's tendon. Note that Car and Driver tested a CambioCorsa-equipped coupe some years ago at 4.8 to 60 mph, so I think that number is valid. As I recall, they just mashed the pedal and held on. I think that with launch control, better anti-slip software, or perhaps even FD's DBW system, we should be in the mid 4's. It certainly feels that way. Of course, only the latter is availble. Even with a good launch, 1st gear is tricky in controlling wheelspin. It's very difficult to modulate the throttle while being catapulted forward. This is the first car I've owned where I can't just mash it in first and let the car do the work. I suspect the Viper and Z06 owners out there can relate. Perhaps getting more rubber back there is a partial answer as well. It would seem a larger and wider tire would allow the car to hook up faster, no?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lunch control?

Someone mentioned that to get a Jack rabbit start as you guys across the pond put it is to have the MSR or ASC off and place car on the hill mode with first gear flashing and put pedal to the metal.

Last time I tried it albeit half heartedly with Vincenzo in the car in UK, we could smell the clutch. Outch! thats another few percent down on the wear - or up!

I wouldnt recommend it unless you have more money than sense or you are trying to impress.

I'd be more inclined to try it once and if the ground is slippery when wet as you will no doubt get that momentary wheelspin/sound/loss of control.

I am from the school of "The more you know, the less you want to show". No need to prove how fast your car is, the name says it all!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
We've ran quite a few M3's and Maserati's on the track, drag and street. Stock the Maserati and M3 are very similar in acceleration, the Maserati does win on the top. The M3 wins out of the gate, with perhaps the exception of a very skilled driver with a very good start. Over a 1/4 mile, the Maserati will win, but it's not easy! With a chip, exhaust, etc... the Maserati walks them. Haven't rematched them since the DBWEM but again it's safe to say the Maserati will now win that battle.

The M3 does have a launch control system. The manual states after 2 uses your warranty is voided ( assuming on the clutch / trans ). No joke and the ECM does count them. With that said we did not use that launch control, nobody felt like buying a clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.