Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another one of BigFoot's crazy ideas. But I reckon one that would interest a lot of us, owners of Coupe/GS in particular.

Our cars are fantastic but they do lack a little bit the ease of take off, essential on those traffic light sprints that we occasionally dabble in
, that some of the German and Japanese cars seem to have.

How about an additional module (perhaps one to tie in with the Drive-By-Wire) to come up with a Launch Control feature? Something that puts the revs to optimal level, disarms traction control and works some magic to give us a better sprint on a standing start?

With DBW installed, the car considerably improves its take-off, but I am talking about here specific for strong starts, could come in quite handy in case any of us finds him or herself doing a spot of weekend racing at the track ;)

Clearly this is a bit of wishful thinking but if there is someone out there that can pull it off, it's Jeff and his crew!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think launch control is pretty hard on the clutch. I read something like 6 starts in a Gallardo and you need a new clutch. I doubt it's anywhere that bad.
I would be cool though!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Could Big Foot be referring to a launch control such as that which is part of Porsche's Sport Chrono package?

I spent 6 months searching for a 911 with PDK & Sport Chrono & other particular options before discovering the sexy GT. Technology & efficient electronics are great. But, a sexy car like the GT... You know which won my heart. But, I digress...

Anyone on this forum have experience with a Porsche with Sport Chrono? I doubt that it kills the PDK as "xraygun" heard it does with the Gallardo.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Maserati has its own notion of launch control. On the QP GTS, you are supposed to turn off MSP, have the car in manual mode, and sport button engaged. Then, put your foot firmly on the brake, and press the accelerator pedal until the rpms reach about 2000 rpms, then release the brake. That is what Maserati claims is their version of it. Never tried it, since I don't track the car.

The Nissan GTR has a much more sophisticated launch control. I've seen this in person at the track with a GTR. Pretty impressive. And costly. Apparently the LCS on earlier GTRs voided the warranty!

I guess, the bottom line is that the QP/GT is a sort of hybrid between sports and 5/4 seater touring car To expect the performance of a two seater without expensive mods (see Novitec) is not realistic. I cannot even drive my car in sport mode without having the po-po and neighbors giving me disapproving looks. If you want true Italian inspired performance, get a 458. Otherwise, the QP/GT is impossible to beat, IMO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maserati has its own notion of launch control. On the QP GTS, you are supposed to turn off MSP, have the car in manual mode, and sport button engaged. Then, put your foot firmly on the brake, and press the accelerator pedal until the rpms reach about 2000 rpms, then release the brake. That is what Maserati claims is their version of it. Never tried it, since I don't track the car.

The Nissan GTR has a much more sophisticated launch control. I've seen this in person at the track with a GTR. Pretty impressive. And costly. Apparently the LCS on earlier GTRs voided the warranty!

I guess, the bottom line is that the QP/GT is a sort of hybrid between sports and 5/4 seater touring car To expect the performance of a two seater without expensive mods (see Novitec) is not realistic. I cannot even drive my car in sport mode without having the po-po and neighbors giving me disapproving looks. If you want true Italian inspired performance, get a 458. Otherwise, the QP/GT is impossible to beat, IMO.
what you guys are looking for is a trans brake for an F1. Same as we use in a glide for drag racing.

no such animal that I'm aware of, but it would be interesting to see how the clutch and drivelines would handle a 7000rpm launch on a sticky track.

I suspect you'd be back to "roll racing" at you local drag strip like the rest of the 2000hp monsters out there (cause they've got nothing to back up the torque numbers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You guys are doing it wrong.... Neutral, full throttle which should hold it around 4500rpm, back into drive and yeehaw your down the road!

(down the road without your transmission haha)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
In the F1 equipped cars, there is a way that you can get an aggressive clutch engagement for launch. It's like a "secret" launch control procedure (not in the manual). I don't recall all of the details, but what you do is pull back on both paddles and hold them until you hear a beep and see a flashing light. Then I believe you shift into first gear, as normal, and then floor it when the light turns green. I suppose you could do the brake/gas thing too, but I haven't tried that. That's the gist of it, from what I remember.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've owned two GT-R's, and high performance AWD vehicles like that you won't take from a dig. With respect to launch control on the first ('09) GT-R's voiding warranties, what happened is some GT-R owners were really abusing their vehicles, launching it all the time (just like Nissan showed how on YouTube). Then Nissan of North America started noticing an abnormal number of GT-R's coming in for transmission issues under warranty. Reading the black boxes on these vehicles, they easily determined it was the constant hard launching that was the cause. So Nissan came up with a fix. All GT-R's not delivered would be flashed with a new tune that would limit the revs on the vehicle when the traction control was disabled to 2.5K RPM. They also changed the owner manuals, stating that disabling traction control for anything other than getting out of snowy, icy, or muddy conditions could void the warranty if damage occurred. For my own 2009, I ordered it in August 2008, and it arrived at the port of Newport News in November. However, it was held up there until February 2009, waiting for this entire fiasco to finish, before it was sent to the dealer. When I received my GT-R, I had to sign to disclaimers, one acknowledging that disabling traction control for anything other than emergency situations could void the warranty, and another that stated the GT-R would have additional (read: more expensive) service requirements. On the plus side, Nissan actually made the GT-R quicker with traction control enabled (but in Race mode), with the driver only needing to hold the brake pedal firmly, rev up to around 4K RPM's, then let go of the brake and enter warp speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is what I found. My one is a GranTurismo S Automatic, so I don't know if it will work. As soon I got it from maintenance, I will test it.

New MC Auto Shift.
The optional MC Auto Shift on the GranTurismo S Automatic
includes a super-reactive mode that has been developed directly from the Quattroporte Sport GT S. This feature includes a wide range of functions that enhance the enjoyment of the GranTurismo S Automatic in Sport Mode. The MC Auto Shift option also adds oval exhaust tailpipes for a sportier look and a louder sound
The Launch control: the MC Auto Shift contains a launch-control mode.

As MC Auto Shift is an optional on the ZF Transmission, according to the 2012 Brochure it is available in the following package:
Sport Pack: (20-inch Grigio Mercury Neptune-design alloy wheel (8,5J x 20" front/10,5J x 20" rear, Front grille with vertical grille bars in black finishing, Side vents in black finishing, Trident with red accents, Headlights - Black look, Saetta logo with red accents, Integrated rear lip spolier, GT S design under door sills in body colour, Double front winglets in body colour, MC Auto shift)

In the same brochure, there is an explanation on how to activate it to launch the car:
Automatic Transmission (MC Auto Shift)

The ZF-built six-speed Automatic transmission with MC Auto Shift perfectly match the extra performance from the V8 powerhouse and has been derived from the transmission in the GranTurismo Sport. The Automatic transmission is attached directly to the rear of the engine and sends torque to the same limited-slip differential through a two-piece, steel drive shaft.

It’s a transmission containing a wide array of features that have been proven in other Maserati models, including five available operating modes. It can be operated in Auto-Normal, Auto-Sport, Manual-Normal, Manual-Sport and Ice modes.

In Manual modes, the driver controls the gearshifts directly with the steering column-mounted gearshift paddles and the car operates as a true manual gearbox, holding each gear until it receives input from the driver. In Manual-Normal mode, the driver can shift until the redline while in Manual-Sport mode, the transmission will hold the gear until the driver changes, even if that means the engine hitting its rev limiter.

In Sport mode, the GranCabrio Sport also contains the super-fast mode developed directly from the GranTurismo Sport and Quattroporte Sport GT S is capable of a faster gearshift time up to 50%.

This mode includes automatic blipping on the downshift along with a Launch Control system, called the MC Start Strategy (which only functions with the MSP switched off).

Using the MC Start Strategy, drivers should hold the brake pedal down, press the accelerator until the engine reaches the optimum launch rpm (between 2300-2500rpm) and release the brake pedal. Using this fast-starting system, the GranCabrio Sport will hit 100km/h in only 5.0 seconds.

It will be nice if anyone here could reply whether it has worked or not.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
This car has the weight of 5 locomotives and we're talking about launch control,
I suppose...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts