Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally installed the Larini mufflers from Formula Dynamics yesterday (actually had Christian with Black Horse Performance do the install). My car has now grown up! The weak wine is now an impressive growl. When we started her up, everyone behind the car backed away. It is louder than the stock but I can bget used to it. This car just keeps getting better and better. DBW next!! This one I can do.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Glad to hear about your good experience with Christian. Thinking about putting the Larinis on my CC as well. Sounds like they compare well to the Tubis at about half the price. Any noticeable improvement in performance aside from the great sound?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Did you get rid of the center resonator too?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larinis

Didn't get the x-pipe and don't know for sure if there is a boost in performance, but I kicked ass on the turnpike on the way home. One thing I noticed is at certain RPM the system resonates and sounds very loud and goes away as I accelerate. So as I accelerate the noise gets louder and then drops off, Needs some getting used to. But when I start the engine, everyone nearby notices.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'd keep the center resonator, without it is too loud. Well, it all depends if it's a daily driver or not. BF will disagree with me...

Regarding the sound, my Tubi is loud around 3,500 rpm, and after that it get quieter.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Have fun and find the long way home!:D

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Regarding the sound, my Tubi is loud around 3,500 rpm, and after that it get quieter.
Niteroi - I've heard this on a number of postings...why does the exhaust get quieter at higher RPMs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Niteroi - I've heard this on a number of postings...why does the exhaust get quieter at higher RPMs?
It's because of resonance. Within a certain rev range the exhaust will reach the resonant frequency of the system where there is more amplified sound and vibration. Above and below this resonant frequency it's quieter. Stock exhaust systems often have different chambers inside the muffler can that are ported just like a band-pass subwoofer box. The purpose of these ports in both a subwoofer box and stock muffler is to control those resonant frequencies so that you get a good, smooth, and consistent sound. The problem is that this kind of design is quiet (too quiet for some people's taste) and restrictive to flow/performance.

My question is whether or not one of the aftermarket exhaust systems for the Maser Coupe/Spyder is designed such that it does NOT have this resonance problem? I know that with my Porsche Boxster most of the aftermarket exhausts are designed more as a straight through system and the resonance as a result is unbearable to most. My Gemballa exhaust is well designed though and has zero resonance, but as a result is also quieter than what most prefer.

How is the resonance of the Larini and Tubi? Does it drone in the cabin and make it such that your SO begins to complain, or is it more bearable? Again, are there systems that don't have resonance?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
How is the resonance of the Larini and Tubi? Does it drone in the cabin and make it such that your SO begins to complain, or is it more bearable? Again, are there systems that don't have resonance?
With Tubi there's a drone around 3,500 rpm. At first I liked it, but it's getting very annoying now. And you're right, girlfriends don't like it...

Does the Larini have that too?

Vicenzo, sometimes I think that aside from the resonance nicely explained by Kirk there's the fact that after certain speed is harder to hear the exhaust anyway. For example, the car seems louder at 5,000 rpm in 2nd (45 mph) than in 5th gear (100 mph).

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The Larini does not have the same drone as the the Tubi. I've spent a fair bit of time with both installed. All exhaust systems will have a point of resonance though. The point of resonance and the sound will be also be affected by which X-Pipe you're running.

Personally, I much prefer the Larini sound and finish on the Maserati's, but that's why we're the distributor in the USA for these products.

Thanks for the review and I'm glad to hear that Christian performed some good work for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
My set-up, a little loud I must say, is remarkably quiet when cruising at low rpms in a high gear.

You guys worry too much ;) :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts