Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...So I drove my CC Coupe today after having the Larini x-pipe installed and the stock Center Resonator removed; I previously had the Tubi boxes installed round back.

Well let me tell you boys. The sound is incredible!!!! I Love the low-pitched rumble of the Tubi mufflers by themselves, but the Center Resonator was very restricitive in terms of air-flow, and also had two glass-packs inside to tune the high frequencies down a bit. The Larini x-pipe is a more efficent pipe that scavenges exhaust much better, weighs less, and boosts HP about 9-10. But the killer thing is that removing that Resonator really opens up the enigne note! Now it is louder (25%), but no so much in the cabin since the resonator (a muffler) was right under the center console and produced a lot of noise in the cabin; the x-pipe just moves it back to the Tubi's. Basically, the Larini adds volume, air and a distinct higher note to the Tubi's full-bodied exhaust. The Tubi is still the Tubi, but there's just a fuller, higher note added to its sound. And the sound is more like a scream under accleration!! At idle, there is very little difference; under acceleration it raises quickly to a full-bodied roar, with that F1 sound on top--a full audio spectrum HOWL!!! There's also more popping and gurggling on down shifts; it is just a delight! The best thing I've done to the car since the FD springs, without a doubt.
I still prefer the TUBI exhaust to the Larini (too High Pithced, not enough boom-boom), but the combination of the Larini x-pipe and the Tubi exhaust boxes is just about magical.
Now, I warn you it is louder than just the Tubi or just the Larini for that matter, and if you are over 40 you may want to hear it before putting it on your car;) But for me it is just about right; what an engine like this should finally sound like! Call Jeff and get yours now! Remember where you heard it first--you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
211 Posts
wow your descrption sounds awsome....

However!!! THIS THREAD IS WORTHELSS WITHOUT A YOUTUBE LINK!!!!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
RJ, I hope you can post a sound clip.

I would be insterested in hearing the sound especially at full throttle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larini + Tubi clip.

Hey guys I'd love to make a clip for yo when I get back; I'll be away on business for two weeks though. Suffice it to say that the combination of the Larini x-pipe and the Tubi boxes strike the perfect balance for me! I think the Larini x-pipe and the Larini boxes might be a little too high-pitched for my tastes.
Greg, the sound gets progressively more raucous up until about 5k in 6th gear; the sound is much more dependent on the gear you select than strictly rpm's. In sixth gear and cruising at highway speeds, the sound is quite tame; drop into fifth at the same rpm's (3-5k) and the party starts again! Jeff told me that the sound of the X-pipe will mellow a bit after it becomes well-coated with carbon; I have 2k on the Tubi so the only change over time will be the Larini pipe (50 mi.) which is very raspy now, but has an appealing, visceral, raw feeling to it.
When I get back I'll try and get a clip on for you guys, and I know Jeff is working on a series of clips as well with various configurations of Tubi, Larini, straighpipes etc.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
So, if I want to make one change to the exhaust to obtain something slightly more of a visceral V8 rumble, add the Tubi boxes on the rear rather than the x pipe - as a first change from stock.

Since the x-pipe is such an easy job, I had though of doing that first.

Has anyone tried the Fabspeed x-pipes ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes!

Ramp:
That's what I did and it was absolutely the right way to go. The Tubi is a very deep bass note that is awesome. I lived with it for 6 months before adding the X-pipe. Honestly, the combination of the Tubi and the BMC air filter may be enough for you. The addition of the Larini is significantly louder and I can easily see it being too loud for 50% of the people on this forum.
The Larini boxes are way too high-pitched for me; the Tubi sound is all V8 grunt, the addition of the X-pipe adds a high-end brassy note without negating the Tubi's growl. Larini boxes might be a little too much.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the info. The sound clip would be great if you take the time and have the equipment.

I am curious to see how it sounds at full throttle between 5k and redine. If the pitch gets higher as the rpms increase under hard acceleration, that would be a very good modification.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stebro vs Tubi vs Fuchs

Has anyone ever done a comparison of Stebro versus Tubi versus Fuchs exhausts on a maserati Coupe/Spyder?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Straight Pipes

I came back today from the Pismo Beach Rally (The Maseraty Club), and most coupes had straight pipes. They kept the center resonator though. It sounds pretty good and it's not any louder than my GS.

I will try that on my car this week and record some clips, but I believe it's going to be quite louder since the GS doesn't have that center resonator.

If it sounds good, it can't get better/cheaper than that!

Well, it won't hurt to try...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm a french guy who's begining to search some inputs about the maser coupe...After two Porsche, I want to try something else :D

I would like to know if it's possible to have a sound like a Ferrari 355 tubi with a maser coupe 4200 ? It's really a great sound:)

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=R0OusN1y1Yc

Thx in advance...

(sorry for my bad english...:cool:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
sf06,

Short answer: No.

Small liter V8 with 5-valve heads and 8500 rpms vs. 4.2l with 4-valve heads and 7500 rpms. Even the F360 with same motor doesn't sound like a F355. (different tuning).

Here is a clip of what the Maser CAN sound like with different pipes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Xb-qoHCKM

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The closest I've heard is a Larini with an X-pipe. Others have reported that a Kreisseg comes close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys!

I heard the larini exhaust on youtube and I really love this sound... less "race car" than the ferrari but very agressive too...better than the tubi for my taste.

FormulaDynamics, for my information, are you able to ship to France? (exhaust but also springs, ecu ...)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Thanks guys!

I heard the larini exhaust on youtube and I really love this sound... less "race car" than the ferrari but very agressive too...better than the tubi for my taste.

FormulaDynamics, for my information, are you able to ship to France? (exhaust but also springs, ecu ...)
They can, send them an email.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Yes, we can ship internationally, please email us your address and we can provide shipping quotes on all products.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So out on YouTube last night I found a ton of

Maserati's with different exhaust systems... Some sounded good, but there were a couple of videos, I think either fabspeed or borla, that made the coupe sound just like an old diesel truck... The pitch was very low, sounded like an old Camaro or Corvette with Cherry Bomb glass packs on it... Yuck! Anyway I hope they are not really like that but the video was not good..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Q on Tubi boxes installed

Does anyone know:

If the Tubi boxes are installed, do you lose the change in exhaust note when switching from normal to sport mode?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts