Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had a pair of Sports cats fitted by Larini to my Coupe GT having been told by Joe Macari that one of my OE Cats was breaking up and needed replacement. As it turns out Larini said there was nothing wrong with my original cats, which is a seperate issue and one which has left me feeling none too hospitable to Joe Macari.

Real purpose of the post was to say how impressed with the whole Larini experience I was, not just in terms of the product but also the guys down in Devon who I dealt with, both Paul & Simon were excellent to deal with and the car was ready on time as agreed. The cats themselves replace the two OE cats per bank with one high flow cat so instead of 4 cats I now have 2 cats of I think 250 cell construction, which means there is significantly less resistance.

On the road there is a noticeable improvement in throttle response although this is best felt at the top end where there is much better pick up in 4th & 5th gears when really pushing on. I had a very enjoyable drive back to London on the A303 which was not very busy and offered a good opportunity to test out what difference the change made and I can report that it is a worthwhile improvement. The difference is not massive and certainly is not, I would guess, an alternative to having something like the FD ECU remap but a noticeable improvement nonetheless. The exhaust sound is also noticeably richer and complex, not really much louder but certainly an improvement over stock. If I was going to keep the car I think I would have got the X-pipe done as well but am trading in for a new QP tomorrow :) so did not bother.

Hope this helps anyone considering such a change as there aren't may options for those of us in England and I would thoroughly recommend the Larini route.

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the first set, they did the development on my car! Overall, very pleased with them.

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
Great to hear that the Larini System worked out for you! We're waiting to test the product here in the states shortly.

On point worth noting... When going to sport cats, you will not see a large sound difference (as reportd ) with stock mufflers, resonator, etc...

However if you have aftermarket mufflers and are running an x-pipe, there will be a noticable volume difference because there is not a significant muffler / dampener downstream of the cats.

Again, it's all about the configuration.

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
There are a few different projects in the works. I believe that we'll have a Larini header coming soon which will not have a pre catalytic converter connected as the US header has now.

I also believe that we will see a replacement for the main or secondary cats which will have an expanded section for better flow underneath the steering column along with a high flow catalytic converter on each side.

With this setup you'd have a free flowing header, and a set of fully functional high flow cats.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
703 Posts
There are a few different projects in the works. I believe that we'll have a Larini header coming soon which will not have a pre catalytic converter connected as the US header has now.

I also believe that we will see a replacement for the main or secondary cats which will have an expanded section for better flow underneath the steering column along with a high flow catalytic converter on each side.

With this setup you'd have a free flowing header, and a set of fully functional high flow cats.
Can you get to the headers or is this an engine out job. It looks very tight in there.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
703 Posts
Jeff - as this is now becoming VERY relevant to me, I'm bringing it back up. What's up with the Larini headers and/or replacement "Pre-Cats" ??

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
Larini is developing a set of headers that will work for US and NON US cars. The project is under development and the decision has not yet been made on whether it will include cats in the headers or not. It's hinging mostly around whether or not the design can be made for both US and NON-US cars.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.