Maserati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about... Have you heard a QP with Larini boxes in person? Was that too loud for you already??
I don't believe I've heard first-hand a QP with Larini boxes installed. I imagine it would instantly make my decision for me. Comparison videos are the next best thing, though they don't seem to exist as proper comparisons. It's not necessarily volume I want, it's the voice of the Larini's I've heard second-hand which I really like. Loud or quiet, it just sounds great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't believe I've heard first-hand a QP with Larini boxes installed. I imagine it would instantly make my decision for me. Comparison videos are the next best thing, though they don't seem to exist as proper comparisons. It's not necessarily volume I want, it's the voice of the Larini's I've heard second-hand which I really like. Loud or quiet, it just sounds great.
Ive played with my exhaust setup quite a bit to fine tune it between performance gain and to get the sound I want. My best results are my current configuration which is tubi mufflers stock x-pipe, stock reasonator, and straight pipes.

My first exhaust mod was removing the reasonator. I shortly found out that any configuration without the reasonator sounds like shit and is to raspy for my Daily Driver.

Next I installed the tubi while the reasonator was removed and I got a great increase in sound but just still felt like it sounded as though it was being held back a little still.

The next move was installing custom high flow cats which netted me close to 20whp on a mustang dyno but sounded like a race car at the track. The cats were 100cell so they threw a check engine light because they simply flowed so much the computer thought nothing was there. I liked the sound but without the reasonator in there was still some rasp I didn't like so I had the reasonators put back on and what I heard was perfection in my opinion. With the tubi, reasonator high flow cats it was loud but sounds amazing like this.

My next move since I figured I've got the check engine light anyways I may as well throw straight pipes in. We didn't throw it on the dyno to see if there were any gains with the staight pipes over the high flow cats but I can tell you it sure feels like its faster by at least another few hp. Thats were my car is at today and its very loud but has little no rasp and sounds pure italian music.

My recomendation would be if you don't want your QP to be overly loud don't put in the high flow cats and escpecially not straight pipes. You can achive a great sound with just a muffler upgrade whether its Tubi or Larini.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Cars in at universal for sport cats. I already have the factory x-pipe, and larini back boxes. I will give you guys a full report and post a video once its done, i cant wait, it already sounded great to begin with so hopefully this will make it perform even better..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Picked up the Car today!! FREAKIN AWESOME!!! I can feel the power bump! Thats saying a lot because my car is already modded/maxxed out or so I thought! I had the factory x-pipe, and larini cans before and was very... Content... Or so I thought...

I wanted to try the Larini Sports cats to take advantage of the BMC Air Filter/FD DBW Automatica/FD ECM/Factory X-Pipe/Larini Mufflers....

And boy did I!... I just had them installed at Universal Autosport in Glen Cove by my Boys, Joe and Luigi, the best in the New York City area for Ferrari/Maserati hands down... I did the Larini Sport Cats looking for more power, more flow from the engine, I wasn't looking for a louder sound, or just the "noise"..

I have to honestly say I was kind of skeptical but after watching the videos for the Granturismo with the Larini Sport Cats (They share the same exhaust system and both can fit the same sport cats) I was really excited about it... But still a little skeptical again... But I put those bad boys on, and BOOM! I can already notice a more lively responsive throttle and I can already FEEL the difference, no joking!... Usually when you put mods in they are hard to notice, but my baby already feels lighter on her feet, and the sound is AWESOME!

I am going to take video soon and post them up for you guys, but I have to say, I was concerned that it would make it loud and obnoxious, but it does NOT. You can (barely) notice the difference at idle, there is a difference, but not a huge difference, and on the highway it sounds so refined in the cabin, not noisy or so much louder, just more high pitched "ferrari-esque" tone, that is Maserati all its own... It sounds amazing to say the least, and upon throttle you can literally feel the extra push and the sound is pure SEX, fellas.... It really sounds like the sports car underneath that it really is, It shows the real "thug in a silk skirt" my baby is... But very very refined is all I can say... Larini really did a phenomenal job in perfecting the sound of their complete exhaust system...

I am soooo very happy with it! I highly recommend to any of you guys out there stuck in a rut, looking for power and to open up the engine and flow, while improving the sound even more! The larini sport cats are polished up like jewelry, they look beautiful under the car, and fit perfectly! Some muffler/exhausts out there don't even fit right, not with Larini, they don't play games and have the best quality IMHO from what I have seen...

Totally worth the money, for the guy/gal who already has the x-pipe and mufflers and wants to open up the flow a bit for power and sexy sound, this mod has it all baby.... If you guys want to compare, watch the Granturismo Videos with and without the Larini sport cats to get a close idea, WHOA.... Thanks Jeff!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
Congratulations. Sounds absolutely fantastic! Really looking forward to the video!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Michael, are you running a stock exhaust set up? If you just have the stock mufflers, I would almost try this first before you get a Larini muffler... This really opens up the flow that the OEM cats hold up, and could possibly be a great answer to getting the flow and the sound before getting into the cans first... I am that serious about the sound and the flow I felt this afternoon... NO BS.... Now I gotta get this video up to show you guys...

·
Registered
603 Posts
I too took the leap!

Picked up the Car today!! FREAKIN AWESOME!!! I can feel the power bump! Thats saying a lot because my car is already modded/maxxed out or so I thought! I had the factory x-pipe, and larini cans before and was very... Content... Or so I thought...

I wanted to try the Larini Sports cats to take advantage of the BMC Air Filter/FD DBW Automatica/FD ECM/Factory X-Pipe/Larini Mufflers....

And boy did I!... I just had them installed at Universal Autosport in Glen Cove by my Boys, Joe and Luigi, the best in the New York City area for Ferrari/Maserati hands down... I did the Larini Sport Cats looking for more power, more flow from the engine, I wasn't looking for a louder sound, or just the "noise"..

I have to honestly say I was kind of skeptical but after watching the videos for the Granturismo with the Larini Sport Cats (They share the same exhaust system and both can fit the same sport cats) I was really excited about it... But still a little skeptical again... But I put those bad boys on, and BOOM! I can already notice a more lively responsive throttle and I can already FEEL the difference, no joking!... Usually when you put mods in they are hard to notice, but my baby already feels lighter on her feet, and the sound is AWESOME!

I am going to take video soon and post them up for you guys, but I have to say, I was concerned that it would make it loud and obnoxious, but it does NOT. You can (barely) notice the difference at idle, there is a difference, but not a huge difference, and on the highway it sounds so refined in the cabin, not noisy or so much louder, just more high pitched "ferrari-esque" tone, that is Maserati all its own... It sounds amazing to say the least, and upon throttle you can literally feel the extra push and the sound is pure SEX, fellas.... It really sounds like the sports car underneath that it really is, It shows the real "thug in a silk skirt" my baby is... But very very refined is all I can say... Larini really did a phenomenal job in perfecting the sound of their complete exhaust system...

I am soooo very happy with it! I highly recommend to any of you guys out there stuck in a rut, looking for power and to open up the engine and flow, while improving the sound even more! The larini sport cats are polished up like jewelry, they look beautiful under the car, and fit perfectly! Some muffler/exhausts out there don't even fit right, not with Larini, they don't play games and have the best quality IMHO from what I have seen...

Totally worth the money, for the guy/gal who already has the x-pipe and mufflers and wants to open up the flow a bit for power and sexy sound, this mod has it all baby.... If you guys want to compare, watch the Granturismo Videos with and without the Larini sport cats to get a close idea, WHOA.... Thanks Jeff!!!
I also installed the sport cats with stock X pipe and Larini rear box. Absolutely fantastic sound and even with my limited experience I can notice the improvement in power in lower torque range. Exactly as advertised! Thanks Jeff and Formula Dynamics! Have had several positive comments from discriminating car aficionados. They, as I do, love the improved exhaust note. They unfortunately don't experience the improved power just listening to the car as opposed to driving it, which as I noted is clearly evident even to the novice like me.

As a note, took about four hours to get OEM cats off (duo select OEM cats which may be different than OEM automatic cats) as they are bigger than Larini sport cat and as such, hard to get hand in to access nuts holding them in place. The installation of Larini cats however is a breeze as they are smaller and allow much easier access to reach above and tighten nuts. The OEM cats have a stud with nut. The Larini cats have an oblong hole (very nice feature as allows some movement to align cats) which will require a bolt and nut. The OEM gasket is metal and can be reused.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi Michael, if you have not done any mods, the first 2 things I would do is get the DBW for the automatica, Yes it does improve throttle response!! Will make the car much more crisp and responsive, it is NOT only for the duoselect for those of you out there with the automatica, the DBW Automatica is awesome in that it wakes up the car dramatically.

Not saying its a slouch, but the factory settings are dumbed down to make the car run from the deserts of the middle east to the colorado rockies and back and be utterly reliable. So they dumb the program down to work in any and all conditions no matter if grandma or my son is driving the car...

I have never ever had any problems or anything like that with the DBW Automatica, I think I was one of the first few guys who had it put in and I also was skeptical because I have the DBW in my Gransport and it serves 2 different purposes for the different transmissions between the manual and the automatic. Thats the thing I would like to clarify. DBW Automatica is an awesome mod for much improved throttle response, and the ECM is also great in that it kicks in from 4500 rpm and beyond and you can feel the boost and the car running more richly/aggressively because the air/fuel ratio is improved and therefore combustion is improved leading to better performance and higher power, once you hit 80-120 and beyond, it just keeps on pulling and pulling with no end it seems almost.... I would do those 2 mods first, before even touching the exhaust.

Once you try that, and see what I'm saying if you want to improve the sound and flow, I would get the Larini Sport Cats, and then lastly get the exhaust to finish it off. As I think the larini sport cats will give up more in performance and flow than just the muffler... If you want improved sound michael I would go with the Larini Mufflers with the valved version so you would have the same feature as the GTS and be slightly more discreet when you want to for normal driving and open up the beast in sport mode.

You have a QP S don't you michael? Its the 4.7 L engine wth 433 BHP correct? I am honestly jealous as I have the 4.2 L and you have potential to open up even more power!! The only difference must be the programming and the x-pipe between the QP S and QP GTS, alongside the valved mufflers which you can get from Larini.

But I would still give you a run for your money with the mods I have you better believe that Brother!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have the 2008 sport gts, it has a factory x-pipe, and larini boxes in the back, it sounds like heaven, not loud at all my man, but pure class... As for the phillipine mechanics, they probably didnt know what they were doing brother, its a simple bolt on. A one hour job. Do you have the dbw and ecm? If not you need to get it, totally worth it. The throttle response makes it super duper, and the ecm kicks in at 4000 or 4500 rpm and is like a whoosh pick up i cant explain. Anytime my mechanic luigi from universal autosports takes it for a spin, he tells me my sedan is the fastest, best hes ever driven, and thats means a lot to me coming from one of the best ferrari/maserati techs in nyc area... Ive seen him take whole ferrari engines apart piece by piece and put it together, it was my worst nightmare i dont know how he does it....
Are you talking UAS in New York or in Houston??

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi Michael, if you have not done any mods, the first 2 things I would do is get the DBW for the automatica, Yes it does improve throttle response!! Will make the car much more crisp and responsive, it is NOT only for the duoselect for those of you out there with the automatica, the DBW Automatica is awesome in that it wakes up the car dramatically.

Not saying its a slouch, but the factory settings are dumbed down to make the car run from the deserts of the middle east to the colorado rockies and back and be utterly reliable. So they dumb the program down to work in any and all conditions no matter if grandma or my son is driving the car...

I have never ever had any problems or anything like that with the DBW Automatica, I think I was one of the first few guys who had it put in and I also was skeptical because I have the DBW in my Gransport and it serves 2 different purposes for the different transmissions between the manual and the automatic. Thats the thing I would like to clarify. DBW Automatica is an awesome mod for much improved throttle response, and the ECM is also great in that it kicks in from 4500 rpm and beyond and you can feel the boost and the car running more richly/aggressively because the air/fuel ratio is improved and therefore combustion is improved leading to better performance and higher power, once you hit 80-120 and beyond, it just keeps on pulling and pulling with no end it seems almost.... I would do those 2 mods first, before even touching the exhaust.

Once you try that, and see what I'm saying if you want to improve the sound and flow, I would get the Larini Sport Cats, and then lastly get the exhaust to finish it off. As I think the larini sport cats will give up more in performance and flow than just the muffler... If you want improved sound michael I would go with the Larini Mufflers with the valved version so you would have the same feature as the GTS and be slightly more discreet when you want to for normal driving and open up the beast in sport mode.

You have a QP S don't you michael? Its the 4.7 L engine wth 433 BHP correct? I am honestly jealous as I have the 4.2 L and you have potential to open up even more power!! The only difference must be the programming and the x-pipe between the QP S and QP GTS, alongside the valved mufflers which you can get from Larini.

But I would still give you a run for your money with the mods I have you better believe that Brother!!
WOW! Thank you or such detailed and helpful info-yes I do have the 4.7 engine which has that little bit more umph than the 4.2! Lots to consider here. Bear in mind I live in urban SW Florida, use I-75 quite a bit and cruise between 80 and 90 mph but rarely get the opportunity to go faster. What I would love is more torque lower down-I really don't care what happens above 100 MPH.................

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
WOW! Thank you or such detailed and helpful info-yes I do have the 4.7 engine which has that little bit more umph than the 4.2! Lots to consider here. Bear in mind I live in urban SW Florida, use I-75 quite a bit and cruise between 80 and 90 mph but rarely get the opportunity to go faster. What I would love is more torque lower down-I really don't care what happens above 100 MPH.................
I know you had the 4.2 L Granturismo, how is the QP S compared to that??

I rarely go above 100 mph also, no place to go that fast in NY without risking a trip to the slammer and massive fines... I just wanted to put things in perspective that if one wanted to go that fast you could notice it...

I would go with the DBW Automatica then.... As it gives the responsive feel of higher torque, and the ECM also gives a nice KICK in the ass, I believe you can ask jeff to have it kick in at a lower RPM if thats what you want to be programmed, but you will burn more fuel that way, as 4500 rpm is the threshold towards Wide open throttle I believe thats why he sets them up that way... Maybe just the DBW Automatica to start with for you is best?

The Sport Cats definitely improved low-end torque. Michael, you have the beast, unleash it!! I would definitely give him a call and find out which is the best for your preferences regarding low-end torque, but the DBW Automatica is definitely a keeper at the very least in the lower rpm range! Give it a shot, you will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Well, here goes: for my lifestyle etc ect etc I prefer the QP to the GT. I am probably older than most of you on the forum, (I still like to drive like I was stealing the car though), but prefer the comfort and convenience of the 4 door car. I am NOT a Lexus/BMW/Mercedes type and the QP gives me everything I want in a car, execept for the lousy navigation and I wish the 0-60 was around 4.5, but it is what it is. I am having as much or more fun with this car than anything esle I have owned, including my DB9's! Luckily my wife and I share a 510 HP Jaguar XKR which is extremely fast and fun to drive, so I drive both on a regular basis.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Michael, age is nothing but a mindset my good man.... The comfort and convenience of a 4 door is uncomparable to the others, while still having a sports cars soul, thats what makes the QP so great!.. Yes, i agree about the lousy navigation and radio (it never works in NYC) but hey, it is what it is... I'm told there isn't enough of an antenna as the design of the car is sleek and they didn't want to spoil it with an antenna popping out which i can live with, with the soundtrack coming out the rear who the hell needs music anyways?? As for the 510 HP jaguar supercharged, that thing must be a freakin beast... Different tools for different jobs I always say... I'm surprised you don't have a convertible with all that beautiful florida weather, is the jag a convertible?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Michael, age is nothing but a mindset my good man.... The comfort and convenience of a 4 door is uncomparable to the others, while still having a sports cars soul, thats what makes the QP so great!.. Yes, i agree about the lousy navigation and radio (it never works in NYC) but hey, it is what it is... I'm told there isn't enough of an antenna as the design of the car is sleek and they didn't want to spoil it with an antenna popping out which i can live with, with the soundtrack coming out the rear who the hell needs music anyways?? As for the 510 HP jaguar supercharged, that thing must be a freakin beast... Different tools for different jobs I always say... I'm surprised you don't have a convertible with all that beautiful florida weather, is the jag a convertible?
Oh yes, the Jag is a convertible........................I never mentioned the radio, I could not care less about that, the music I like is the exhaust!

·
Registered
307 Posts
LOL, after the cats, you won't even hear much of the radio....

...and I am only 33 years young btw. Just in case anyone's wondering.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Not saying its a slouch, but the factory settings are dumbed down...
From the factory, the throttle response is certainly programmed conservatively. It's clearly meant to allow a comfortably slow and smooth acceleration, which, for me, was 180 degrees from the purpose of owning a Maserati. With the DBW module, it's much more like a sports car, less like a Mercedes sedan.

btw, it's my understanding that it's merely remapping the throttle response, not magically pulling more horsepower from the engine, though it clearly feels more powerful after the module is installed.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts