Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
I just ordered a set of Larini Sports Cats from Jeff at Formula Dynamics, and will report once their installed, I'm gonna try to get a video before and after and let you guys know...
Please do! For the life of me I can't find a good before and after for several of the Larini products. In one example, the Before is adequately indicative of the exhaust from the rear, but the After only walks around the sides and front of the car. In other videos, the camera is in drastically different places. It can't be that hard to record consistent videos.

I've been trying to compare before and after volume for months and I'm still looking. I'm anxious to hear yours.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I installed all of these last month. The sport cats are hell to get to as your mechanics will see. The 3 bolts holding the stock cats are darn near impossible to get and my exhaust mechanics had to be very creative in making new tools (including bending some tools) just to get access to the 3 bolts.

But the sound is night and day compared to just the x-pipe and the mufflers. People can hear me coming from down the block and front windows now rumble when I drive past.

Sounds like the ferrari dna it was supposed to be. Definitely will not be mistaken for the cannonball rice burner mufflers. The sound is angry, raspy and very urgent. It's a bliss to turn on the car everytime. :)

And sorry Jeff for putting a gun to your head and forcing you to make me a set out of your busy schedule hahaha....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Okay, I've seen a lot of posts about aftermarket exhaust mods.
My question is: How does the sound of the MY2009+ QP Sport GT S
(i.e., the one in which the sport button opens up valves and the sound is much louder/aggressive) compare with these after market ones? When not in sport mode, the stock MY2009+ QP Sport GT S sounds mean, but not angry. When you press the sport button, it sounds angry, especially on the down-shift blips.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
But the sound is night and day compared to just the x-pipe and the mufflers. People can hear me coming from down the block and front windows now rumble when I drive past.
That's precisely what I do not want and why I've been checking for comparison videos.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's precisely what I do not want and why I've been checking for comparison videos.
Then you only want the back mufflers.

Adding the x-pipe and especially the front cats will turn the sound of your car like a banshee strung out on dope.

But then again, only changing the mufflers will net you very little gain in hp and small savings in weight, so you should just stay stock. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
The sound I've heard from the Larini Sport boxes is marvelous, and they offer a boost of roughly 25 HP. Not bad for $3k.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have the 2008 sport gts, it has a factory x-pipe, and larini boxes in the back, it sounds like heaven, not loud at all my man, but pure class... As for the phillipine mechanics, they probably didnt know what they were doing brother, its a simple bolt on. A one hour job. Do you have the dbw and ecm? If not you need to get it, totally worth it. The throttle response makes it super duper, and the ecm kicks in at 4000 or 4500 rpm and is like a whoosh pick up i cant explain. Anytime my mechanic luigi from universal autosports takes it for a spin, he tells me my sedan is the fastest, best hes ever driven, and thats means a lot to me coming from one of the best ferrari/maserati techs in nyc area... Ive seen him take whole ferrari engines apart piece by piece and put it together, it was my worst nightmare i dont know how he does it....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was talking with a mechanic friend of mine about getting the Larini sport cats. The first question he asked me was were they C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board) or EPA approved. He then started explaining the fines for replacing, both to owner and mechanic, a functioning cat, increased pollution etc.

Any thoughts, insights, comments on this?
Move out of cali ?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the 2008 sport gts, it has a factory x-pipe, and larini boxes in the back, it sounds like heaven, not loud at all my man, but pure class... As for the phillipine mechanics, they probably didnt know what they were doing brother, its a simple bolt on. A one hour job. Do you have the dbw and ecm? If not you need to get it, totally worth it. The throttle response makes it super duper, and the ecm kicks in at 4000 or 4500 rpm and is like a whoosh pick up i cant explain. Anytime my mechanic luigi from universal autosports takes it for a spin, he tells me my sedan is the fastest, best hes ever driven, and thats means a lot to me coming from one of the best ferrari/maserati techs in nyc area... Ive seen him take whole ferrari engines apart piece by piece and put it together, it was my worst nightmare i dont know how he does it....
Just making sure you were not talking to me? Coz:

1. I am not in the Phillipines.

2. I was talking about the installation of the sport cats which took all day and 3 guys. The x-pipe and muffler only took me and my buddy an hour in my basement garage without even jacking the car up.

3. Yes, I already got the DBW and ECM which I also install myself with a guy from the office who's a computer whizkid and he did all the soldering coz I frankly have no idea how to solder....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hey jtanoyo, I got it all wrong, my bad... You are in malaysia...

The sports cats took all day I realize for you because you have a duoselect and not the automatica, my fault. Totally different set ups... I give you maddd props for doing the DBW and ECM yourself! That stuff looked crazy when I opened it up, was like 100 wires and I almost crapped my pants! What comments do you have about the sports cats? Did you do it last or all together with the other mods?? I just took my baby for a run tonight, and after 4500 rpm she was all good to go!!! LOL.. you know what I'm saying...

Just making sure you were not talking to me? Coz:

1. I am not in the Phillipines.

2. I was talking about the installation of the sport cats which took all day and 3 guys. The x-pipe and muffler only took me and my buddy an hour in my basement garage without even jacking the car up.

3. Yes, I already got the DBW and ECM which I also install myself with a guy from the office who's a computer whizkid and he did all the soldering coz I frankly have no idea how to solder....

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
That stuff looked crazy when I opened it up, was like 100 wires and I almost crapped my pants!
I sent a photo of the ECM as it was pulled from the car to a friend of mine and, not realizing what he was looking at, he said, "what, you're assembling a new computer?"

It looks like a handful, and it is a bit tedious, but pretty straight-forward. I had two wires which were colored incorrectly (something which happens, apparently) and that threw me a curve, but it was well worth the effort.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey jtanoyo, I got it all wrong, my bad... You are in malaysia...

The sports cats took all day I realize for you because you have a duoselect and not the automatica, my fault. Totally different set ups... I give you maddd props for doing the DBW and ECM yourself! That stuff looked crazy when I opened it up, was like 100 wires and I almost crapped my pants! What comments do you have about the sports cats? Did you do it last or all together with the other mods?? I just took my baby for a run tonight, and after 4500 rpm she was all good to go!!! LOL.. you know what I'm saying...
LOL, I am in Indonesia. You got closer and closer by each guess, haha.

I did the sport cats last. It really opened up the sound, much much louder than just the x-pipe & mufflers. It's also quite a bit lighter than stock. Problem is, just with the sound alone, you "kinda feel" much faster already, but without any written 1/4 mile time slip or dyno slip, I can't tell you for sure if it makes any difference hp wise.

But in general, the car does feel more sprightly (is that even a word?). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Wow indonesia... Sorry brother, I messed up again... I got it now... I haven't been there in 10 years! Used to do some work out of there... Is that why you paid so much over there for your car?? Dangerous place it can be sometimes... Hope you're armed and packing heat, as they tend to set up road blocks and try to rob you sometimes, gangsters don't play over there, lol..

You did... Do you have any video of it? I already know what my car sounds like with the Factory X-pipe, and Larini Back Boxes... I have the BMC air filters too. It sounded amazing already as it is, I have no problems with it, but I have been a little bored lately, and kept thinking about it, because I figure if I can get some better flow with the Larini Sports Cats over stock, I can take full advantage of my FD ECM at Wide Open Throttle when I need to, not to mention get the nasty high pitched sound I love. I mean, I'm used to the sound already its not loud at all sitting in the car because we have double laminated windows, etc but if I am behind the car, it sounds like a deep rumble, which I love, and I can't explain it. The videos do it no justice.
I'm looking for the HP and Torque more than the sound, it already sounds awesome so this can't hurt it one bit. And then I think thats it, there are no other products out there for this car... Maxed out. Oh yeah, maybe I can get the bootleg conversion done for $2500 with my buddy seandavis!

LOL, I am in Indonesia. You got closer and closer by each guess, haha.

I did the sport cats last. It really opened up the sound, much much louder than just the x-pipe & mufflers. It's also quite a bit lighter than stock. Problem is, just with the sound alone, you "kinda feel" much faster already, but without any written 1/4 mile time slip or dyno slip, I can't tell you for sure if it makes any difference hp wise.

But in general, the car does feel more sprightly (is that even a word?). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow indonesia... Sorry brother, I messed up again... I got it now... I haven't been there in 10 years! Used to do some work out of there... Is that why you paid so much over there for your car?? Dangerous place it can be sometimes... Hope you're armed and packing heat, as they tend to set up road blocks and try to rob you sometimes, gangsters don't play over there, lol..
Whoa, which part of Indonesia did you go to? I wanna make sure I am not there, yikes. Or were you talking about the riots back in 98? That was a looooong time ago.

And yes car taxes here are ridiculous. I paid $210k for my 2007 4.2L QP with 4000km on it. Go figure...

Alas, I didn't take any video of the exhaust. I thought there are plenty of them floating around on youtube already so I didn't bother. But it is MUCH louder than just the xpipe and mufflers. Very F1-ish sound and gives the tiniest backfire on low rpm. It blurbs now too. :Tombo:

21 - 40 of 64 Posts