Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

Coming up on the deadline here, I am contemplating the x-pipe for my 02 Spyder.

What are you all doing? X-pipe only? Mufflers only? Both? Please explain to me why, too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I got the muffler and Xpipe beforehand... I really really like it... But bear in mind that the Xpipe doesnt really change the sound, nor does it give too big of a power boost... The Larini mufflers add a pretty big boost in hp, volume, and give the car a really nice sound... I would suggest the mufflers first, and then the xpipe if you want to get it louder and get more of a power boost.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I got both (plus ECU/DBW, springs, and air filter) because I am looking to get max performance out of the GranSport :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
exhaust

doing mufflers & x-pipe... x-pipe gives additional weight loss also, eliminating the resonator. If that's not too loud ;), I may get Jeff's HP cats :D

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The Scenarios

If you have a coupe or standard QP.... the x-pipe gives quite a bit of power actually 8-10hp, weight savings (approx 20lbs) and makes a huge difference in sound. The stock resonators are a very large restriction.

Here are the 3 scenarios as we've observed them:

1. Replace the mufflers only, leaving the stock resonator
You'll pickup power and you will get a great muffled sound. It will produce an increased volume and you'll hear the gurgles and nice sounds from the exhaust. definitely a worthwhile upgrade. This produced a louder but very acceptable volume level. This is still a good improvement over the sound of even a GS.

2. Replace just the X-Pipe, leaving the factory mufflers
You'll pickup power and you'll benefit from a huge weight savings, however the sound of the exhaust will not change as much because the rear mufflers are still very limiting.

3. Replace both the Mufflers and Resonator
You will get a huge difference in sound with the combination. This will unleash that Ferrari Sound. Full frequency tuned sport sound. Max Power, Max Weight Savings. The volume increased over any individual combination. In general this is the way to go, unless volume is a large concern. In that case, just go with the mufflers.

Worth Noting:
If you have a GS or QP Sport and wanted to change the X-pipe, the difference is not as big because those models come with a true X-pipe. The Larini is still better flow ( larger tubing ) and has a better design for scavenging over the stock X-pipe but it's not a huge gain.

Most People:
About half of the people are getting just mufflers, the other half are getting the X-Pipe and Mufflers

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Larini QP 4200 Exhaust

Hey guys... here's a link to a new video thread of the Larini exhaust on the QP and 4200.

Remember Today's the last day to call in your order.

-- Jeff

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
FormulaDynamics said:
If you have a coupe or standard QP.... the x-pipe gives quite a bit of power actually 8-10hp, weight savings (approx 20lbs) and makes a huge difference in sound.
Jeff, what's the HP pick up vs the GranSport for the x-pipe only? ~4hp?

Plus, Larini talks about improvement in torque for both x-pipe and mufflers. Is there a noticeable difference?

Cheers

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Sorry I left the link out... as BigFoot posted: http://www.formuladynamics.com/video/qp_4200_larini_pocono.avi

I can't say that I honestly know the true power difference between the GS and Larini X-pipe. I do believe that there is a detectable difference in sound and power. I've run it both ways and opted to keep the Larini.

The full system does create a power difference and it opens you up to further modifications where you can make even more power such as the Power ECM, Air filter, etc.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Shoot me an email and / or give me a call first thing in the morning and we'll squeeze you in.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree!

If you have a coupe or standard QP.... the x-pipe gives quite a bit of power actually 8-10hp, weight savings (approx 20lbs) and makes a huge difference in sound. The stock resonators are a very large restriction.

Here are the 3 scenarios as we've observed them:

1. Replace the mufflers only, leaving the stock resonator
You'll pickup power and you will get a great muffled sound. It will produce an increased volume and you'll hear the gurgles and nice sounds from the exhaust. definitely a worthwhile upgrade. This produced a louder but very acceptable volume level. This is still a good improvement over the sound of even a GS.

2. Replace just the X-Pipe, leaving the factory mufflers
You'll pickup power and you'll benefit from a huge weight savings, however the sound of the exhaust will not change as much because the rear mufflers are still very limiting.

3. Replace both the Mufflers and Resonator
You will get a huge difference in sound with the combination. This will unleash that Ferrari Sound. Full frequency tuned sport sound. Max Power, Max Weight Savings. The volume increased over any individual combination. In general this is the way to go, unless volume is a large concern. In that case, just go with the mufflers.

Worth Noting:
If you have a GS or QP Sport and wanted to change the X-pipe, the difference is not as big because those models come with a true X-pipe. The Larini is still better flow ( larger tubing ) and has a better design for scavenging over the stock X-pipe but it's not a huge gain.

Most People:
About half of the people are getting just mufflers, the other half are getting the X-Pipe and Mufflers

Best Regards,
-- Jeff
I agree with your assessment, I just installed the sports boxes plus the x pipes on my 2007 QP, and the power increase is substantial and the throttle response in amazing, but for my taste I think is a bit too loud specially in between the front bucket seats. There is also a low vibration due to the resonance inside the cabin, I think I will be taking the x pipe off and will re instal the stock resonator which in my opinion will make it more enjoyable for daily driving.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Before you do this... be sure that the X-pipe is not touching your tunnel brace under the car.

We installed a Larini X on a QP one time and the clearance between the tunnel brace and x-pipe wasn't large enough the way the pipes were clamped down. It was so borderline that it didn't happen until the metal heated up and expanded. The result was quite a bit of cabin noise.

Once we determined this and resolved the issue, there was no resonance in the cabin and you only heard the exhaust out of the rear. This made a big difference in sound quality as well.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts