Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps,
I suspect there is no exact answer but I am going to have installed the Larini x-pipe and mufflers, plus high flow sport cats locally manufactured on my GranSport and was wondering if anyone knew what the car's noise in decibels will be, ballpark?

I ask this as the local (sort of) track only allows cars producing a maximum of 96dB.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks :)

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
You may be over this mark with the CATS. With just the Larini system you should be under. However going to a full exhaust system, removing 2 CATS and going to Hi Flow CATS will definitely raise the volume levels noticably.

·
Registered
744 Posts
BigFoot - be carefull. I just got my Spyder back today (Larini X Pipe, HP cats, plus pre cats gutted). It sounds unbeleivable (like an Indy car) and has noticeably more power and responsiveness (probably in the neighborhood of +30HP increase plus a healthy increase in torque) but it is way too loud.

With the top down, I got a headache after 1/2 hour and lots of dirty looks. I talked to Jeff who was his usual helpful and resoursefull self and he suggested a set of race silencers. These will be welded in behind the cats and should calm things down and only cause about 2HP of power loss. If that is not enough, I will need to look at selectively swapping some of stock stuff back in (but obviously this will have a way bigger impact on the power).

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Very True. With the Full Larini System AND HP Cats combined... you basically have a race exhaust system. The Larini system alone is fabulous and the HP Cats are a very cost conscious way of replacing dead factory cats and improving performance.

However if you do both of them, you'll need to add some baffling back into the system. I'll probably make some custom silencers for Flash's car and we'll see how that does for him. Also, Larini is coming out with a quieter X-pipe that may also help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts