Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I see KW has a V3 coilover setup available for the 4200 Coupe/CC with a list price of approximately $3,200.

I did a search, but couldn't find any postings on that product.

In Porsche circles, KW is well respected. So I was wondering if anyone here installed it on their Maser and if so, what were your experiences?

Thanks.

Karl.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I see that "Mr The Kid" has a set on his Q Porte, but he only posts here when he wants to pimp his panerai.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have used KW on a few different projects and they are great coilovers...just be prepared for a coilover style ride as well. I will be installing them on my CC this winter. Also if you hunt around you can buy our V3 setup for about 2600

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So whats the difference with this and

getting the springs from FD?

·
Registered
528 Posts
getting the springs from FD?
My thought on the non skyhook cars it that they are under sprung and over dampened. Too much high speed compression leads to a harsh ride.
Too little low speed rebound leads to body roll.

A quality damper should give a plush yet controlled ride.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
We do carry the KW V3 as well, or rather we can order them. We have never had a customer in the US try them. We've used them on Porsche with excellent results. It's a very adjustable setup, almost too adjustable for the street unless you really know what you're doing because it takes quite a bit of tweaking to get it right and if you don't know what you're doing or do not have the patience... it's just too much hassle.

The difference between them is that they are fully adjustable and not electronically controlled. If you're a skyhook customer you would lose that. Of course the cost is also a factor. It's nearly triple the cost.

FWIW, I don't believe you can get them for anywhere near $2600 these days. There was a rumor of it a while back but after investigation, I found that it wasn't going to happen. Let me know if you find a source at this price though! So far as I'm aware $3200 is do-able and $3k is a deal. The margin on these shocks is very low for dealers as production is low, there is a bit more to work with on the QP but I've never had anyone ask for a price on the QP, I can't imagine that kind of setup on a luxury sedan.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The cars that I own or have driven with coilovers are very stiff I was more going with the analysis in comparison to the stock coupe suspension it will be signifigantly firmer...which is not at all a bad thing it is just not the choice if you want to keep the more lux ride the car has stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Karl,

I have the KW suspension kit for my 2007 QP sitting in the box in my apartment. I'm still debating whether to install it. If you're ever in SF you are welcome to come check it out. For those that question whether a coilover kit is an improvement over the Skyhook suspension I recommend you try a 2008 QP Sport GTS. The coilover equipped GTS is a revelation; perfectly damped, sporty yet remains compliant and much more capable for spirited driving. I can't confirm whether the KW is as good as the GTS but I imagine that it will be an improvement over Skyhook.

Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP

·
Registered
528 Posts
Plus yet controlled is what I am looking for in a suspension.
All Maseratis use a coilover type shock, the heart of the matter is if the shock and spring package is properly tuned for the intended use.

What we need to know is how KW tuned the suspension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Correct Fred. I should have been more clear in my post. I found the fully mechanical coilover suspension in the GTS to be a big improvement over the Skyhook equipped coilover suspension in my '07 QP. Unfortunately I can't comment on the performance of the KWs since I haven't installed them. However I would bet that with proper tuning I would prefer the KWs to Skyhook. As I mentioned I'm happy to show them to any listers that are interested.

I'd also trade the KWs for a used Tubi exhaust if one is available :)

Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
New QP Skyhook Springs by FD

We now have springs available for the Skyhook QP's with the adjustable perch ( i.e. NOT for the QP Sport GT w/ Fixed perches) we'll update our website soon with details. The difference is a strong improvement in handling while still maintaining a smooth compliant ride. The cost is $1395 for the set. This kit will allow lowering, improved handling and is fully compatible with the Skyhook absorbers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the responses. I posted a similar question on the Maserati UK site and to date, no one with actual experience running the KWs (on a Maser) has responded. Josh is probably the closest so far with the kit sitting in his garage.

Anyway, how all this started is that recently I saw a blue GS Spyder in Palo Alto, and a silver GS Coupe in San Jose and I have to say, I was blown away by how good they looked. Sorta like a Faberge Egg with fangs...

So I'm begining the initial research phase (which knowing me, will last a year) to learn as much as I can about these cars -- and this forum (along with the Maserati UK forum) are great resources.

After my initial reading and watching of reviews, it looks like the GS stock suspension and handling are well 'sorted' out of the box. But since I haven't discounted a manual 6-speed 4200 Coupe, I was interested in finding out about suspension upgrade options, hence my question about KW.

Of course the FD springs are the other (and apparently much more prevalent) option and anyone posting about them only has positive things to say.

Karl.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I believe that only the '05 QPs have adjustable perch coilovers. Maserati switched to fixed perch for all QP models beginning in '06.

Are you still developing a spring for fixed perch Skyhook-equipped QPs? Thanks.

As another lister mentioned, Knick obtained a set of KWs as well but he also has yet to install them.

Best, Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Yes, they're in development now. We're working with a customer with an 07 QP Sport to get a good fitment and results. I'm working to check the compatibility with the other fixed perch models against this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts