Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I notice my car is making a knocking noise (noticed this for a few months). It does this when the engine is warm. Maserati said it's the type of fuel I use, I use Premium from Shell or BP. I'm afraid to put booster in the tank!!! Are you experiencing this? What do you do? It drives like everything is fine!

The fuel gauge is being flippy since the previous 2 fill ups. I always let the fuel run to the lowest, until the light comes on, before I fill it up. 3 fill-ups ago, the station wasn't filling quickly so I didn't fill it up all the way. 2 fill ups ago, I filled all the way full and the fuel gauge is bouncing, it will state "Full" and the light comes on stating it's empty. It will bounce back and forth and then go off. The tank has a floating level indicator? Have you experienced this? This is in the 2002 Coupe CC.

Thanks

Here is a pic of the fuel light phenomenon...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Give me a little better description of knocking.. Knocking as in detonation or knocking as in piston slap or rod knocking... Shell VPower is good fuel and I would not recommend an octane booster...

Hello!

I notice my car is making a knocking noise (noticed this for a few months). It does this when the engine is warm. Maserati said it's the type of fuel I use, I use Premium from Shell or BP. I'm afraid to put booster in the tank!!! Are you experiencing this? What do you do? It drives like everything is fine!

The fuel gauge is being flippy since the previous 2 fill ups. I always let the fuel run to the lowest, until the light comes on, before I fill it up. 3 fill-ups ago, the station wasn't filling quickly so I didn't fill it up all the way. 2 fill ups ago, I filled all the way full and the fuel gauge is bouncing, it will state "Full" and the light comes on stating it's empty. It will bounce back and forth and then go off. The tank has a floating level indicator? Have you experienced this? This is in the 2002 Coupe CC.

Thanks

Here is a pic of the fuel light phenomenon...

·
Registered
581 Posts
On the fuel gauge issue mine does the same thing. After less than 1/8th of tank has been used it goes back to normal. There is a thread on here "odd fuel gauge behavior" where Kent Woodworth suggested it could have something to do with the fuel pump having a dead spot on the potentiometer. My car runs just fine so I have just chalked it up to Italian charm for now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I experienced a light knocking noise only noticeable when in an enclosed area with the windows open, like surrounded by a few cars at idle at a stoplight. I brought it to my mechanic right after that and got and oil change and it went away. His experience was that Masers like new oil. He also said you can add a product called Magic Oil (I think) and it will help also. But please check with a knowledgeable mechanic before using additives. They may cause more harm than good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts