Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to take delivery of a QP later this week. The car is mint bar the keys which have scratches/chips on the blue plastic body of the key(looks a bit ugly). Is it possible to just buy the blue plastic outer part of the key and swap it over?

thanks

Simon

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think that after a few months chips are designed to fall off!

I think that everyone probably has scratches and chips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can do some minor polishing job yourself before you replace the shell, use the finest grade sand paper to remove the scratches and then polish the whole surface with tooth paste. It's kind of an easy job, inexpensive, no harm to try if your insist to replace the shell.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Maguires Plastic Polish

works the best... And it's made to clean up minor scratches... Otherwise it's time to buy a new key...

·
Registered
133 Posts
when scouring the net a while back I found a place that made carbon replacement bodys for the keys - they weren't cheap, if they were, I'd have bought a couple to stop it looking like a fiat key! (if there's a group buy.....)

On another note, on the of microswitches inside the key fell off a couple of months ago - had to rip the key apart & bodge it to get home from work. I'd get a replacement unit if it wasn't going to cost an arm & a leg! I'll settle for someone soldering it methinks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think it was this site: http://www.ferraricarbon.com/ - they don't list the keys, but they do for the 360, I swear I've seen one somewher - I'll keep looking..

But.. if anyone know's any CF people, it can't be that hard to make a shell for a key now can it?

On another note, I like the longer trofeo style cc triggers would love to see some in the flesh, but they aint cheap.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ive had the same problem with my QP key. I actually got a can of blue plasic spray paint, and a can of clear laquer. It worked out ok, not perfect, but covering the buttons and other non blue bits was a pain. I was told to try going to a paint shop and have them do it, not a bad idea. i was also told by my ferrari maserati service manager that all the keys are crap and ordering a new one would be a waste too.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
you could try to just cover it with a carbon fiber film from stickercity.com. Would be cheap & if it doesn't come out to your liking, you could just peel it off....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Key Replacement

Guys, You cannot just "change" the key housing. The alarm transponder microchip is epoxied into the key housing. The microchip is sealed in a tiny glass vial that will absolutely break when it is attempted to be removed.UNFORTUNATLY the only remedy is a complete key replacement.
The key has three identifying codes 1- the actual key code (to cut the key at the factory) 2- the before mentioned Transponder code 3- the Alarm interface code. The selling dealer either has or can get this info for ordering purposes. Any dealer can get this info for a small fee.
You will need a copy of your license and title to order a new key.
Once the new key arrives, it is IMPERATIVE that ALL keys are dropped to the dealer. The new key needs to be programmed to the car and ALL keys have to be present for subsequent reprogramming or they will NO longer operate. I hope this clears the key issue up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts