Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it looks like based on everyones help on the forum that my squeech suggests it is new clutch time for my 07 QP Sport (18,000 miles) :mad:, I was curious to know who has experience rebuilding their clutch, and in particular having it kevlar coated?

All I know is based on interesting earlier post from GCalo: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showpost.php?p=42221&postcount=50

Plenty of us Ferrari guys are doing this. The materials are superior to OEM, the resurfacing brings the parts to better than OEM, and for the 360 Ferrari it costs @ $600.00 total by either of these firms:

http://www.hrclutch.com/

http://www.clutchmasters.com/

You not only get superior workmanship to the OEM part you also get the most contemporary materials.

The $600.00 figure includes rebuilding and resurfacing the pressure plate, resurfacing the flywheel, and refacing the clutch disc!

We are doing Kevlar, and those who recently did it are raving about it. I am doing mine next month when I clean out the garage.
Is it really worth the effort? Is the FMNA dealer going to give me my worn clutch so I can ship it off to be rebuilt / coated and then re-installed?

·
Registered
635 Posts
What I can tell you from a "Lamborghini" perspective, is that people like putting the Kevlar Clutch into the Countach.

Plus side, lasts much longer than the OEM unit (and its cheaper too).

Negative Side, Tends to want to "grab", so a lot of folks end up riding the clutch.

·
Registered
793 Posts
As it looks like based on everyones help on the forum that my squeech suggests it is new clutch time for my 07 QP Sport (18,000 miles) :mad:, I was curious to know who has experience rebuilding their clutch, and in particular having it kevlar coated?

All I know is based on interesting earlier post from GCalo
Is it really worth the effort? Is the FMNA dealer going to give me my worn clutch so I can ship it off to be rebuilt / coated and then re-installed?
Yes it is worth it but you need to have the flywheel resurfaced and the PP rebuilt. HR Clutch will do that. See if Hill Engineering has a replacement T/O bearing for your car as well, because they make fantastic products

My suggestion is that if your clutch is not under warranty go to a good independent and tell him what you want, and let that shop do it. Forget the dealer.

Eugenio's in Orange County is a great place if you are in SoCal.

You don't want the crap Maserati/Ferrari parts. They do not last!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are there any online dealers that carry a kevlar clutch? I just googled for a bit but didnt find anything. What are the benefits of the kevlar? Is it life span oriented or performance oriented or mixture of both? Sounds like an exciting upgrade. But I need the car before the clutch, so the search continues! Cheers!

Joe

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resurface flywheel?

Yes it is worth it but you need to have the flywheel resurfaced and the PP rebuilt. HR Clutch will do that. See if Hill Engineering has a replacement T/O bearing for your car as well, because they make fantastic products

My suggestion is that if your clutch is not under warranty go to a good independent and tell him what you want, and let that shop do it. Forget the dealer...
Thanks for input. Follow up questions:

Post elsewhere, http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44899#post44899, suggests resurfacing flywheel could pose issues:

define Refinishing?... you must not turn the flywheel they cannot be resurfaced they are beveled to the clutch the contact point will be cut in half if you resurface it!!! and it will chatter.....
1) What is involved in resurfacing the flywheel for kevlar clutch? Is it resurfaced in a way that it is beveled to the new kevlar clutch such that the contact point is as it should be?

2) What is involved in re-building the PP and why?

3) How can an indie shop do the clutch? Wouldn't they need SD3 to adjust PIS?

·
Registered
793 Posts
---resurfacing flywheel could pose issues:

1) What is involved in resurfacing the flywheel for kevlar clutch? Is it resurfaced in a way that it is beveled to the new kevlar clutch such that the contact point is as it should be?
Forget the concept of "beveling". Ferrari alleged the same and no one I know pays any attention to this. It does not even make sense! Think of it. Can a disc make full contact with a beveled surface? Ridiculous.

The flywheel will be resurfaced so that it is level and prepared to accept a new clutch disc. HRClutch can further confirm this further.

2) What is involved in re-building the PP and why?
The P plate is cleaned, resurfaced, and the springs are replaced with heavier duty units to ensure that the pressure plate firmly seats the clutch disc against the flywheel.

Remember Niteroi speaking of "glazing"? Well this happens when the clutch disc slips on the flywheel and PP.

So the rebuilding prevents this.

3) How can an indie shop do the clutch? Wouldn't they need SD3 to adjust PIS?
I do not understand "indie" shop. Can you please clarify?

If you have an F1 or CC, you will need an SD2/3 to adjust the PIS.

To answer Stu's question, yes Kevlar will work fine with an F1/CC system.

Remember that manufacturers care more about selling cars then their long term durability. They try to balance a happy medium which is best for their bottom line.

The Kevlar clutch on F1/CC takes a few miles to properly seat, may need a 2nd SD2/# PIS adjustment after 500-1,000 miles, but after that you are home free.

·
Registered
793 Posts
He means independent garage, not Maserati official dealer/garage.
I get it and thank you for the clarification.

Plenty of independent shops have SD2's/3's!

Have an independent do it. You are better off! A dealer will not do Kevlar because he will not make tons of $ on the inferior OEM clutch parts.

Find out also if Hill Engineering has a T/O bearing.

That will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Anyone do this yet in Northern California?
No one I know here but I am doing my 360 in the December time frame when I have the chance.

I do know of a few folks from Florida who have done it as well as two friends in LA.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PIS and SD2/3

...If you have an F1 or CC, you will need an SD2/3 to adjust the PIS....

The Kevlar clutch on F1/CC takes a few miles to properly seat, may need a 2nd SD2/# PIS adjustment after 500-1,000 miles, but after that you are home free.
Thanks GCalo for further clarification. It is very helpful.

1) But why do you need the SD2/3 adjust PIS? I recognize that one won't be able to reset the clutch wear back to 0% baseline, but everyone says that is a useless measurement anyway. Is there no way of mechanically adjusting from underneath the car? The gap has been specified in other posts (4.8 - 5.2mm if I remember correctly) so couldn't one just adjust accordingly?

2) In doing some kevlar research, I have read that Kevlar can be a bit more "grabby" than organic friction material. Would that be noticeable or bothersome?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks GCalo for further clarification. It is very helpful.

1) But why do you need the SD2/3 adjust PIS? I recognize that one won't be able to reset the clutch wear back to 0% baseline, but everyone says that is a useless measurement anyway. Is there no way of mechanically adjusting from underneath the car? The gap has been specified in other posts (4.8 - 5.2mm if I remember correctly) so couldn't one just adjust accordingly?
If you have an F1/CC you must use the SD2/3 to set that point or the system has no baseline reference. It is like an inertial navigation system. You have to first tell it where you are starting!

2) In doing some kevlar research, I have read that Kevlar can be a bit more "grabby" than organic friction material. Would that be noticeable or bothersome?
It is only initially due to the increased friction. Once adjusted and seated it is fine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
anyone know of any indie shops in vancouver, bc?
Milo's. Apparently he used to have the F/M dealership in Van a number of years back.

http://www.miloeuropeancars.com/

I have never used him but people say good things about him and his work. He is no cheaper than the dealership if that is what you are looking for however.

·
Registered
15 Posts
vancouver repair

I tried Milo but he does not do the newer cars. The stealership obviously wont help me with the kevlar clutch. I cant believe that in this city no one repairs Ferrari/Mas other than the dealer!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why not?

... The stealership obviously wont help me with the kevlar clutch. I cant believe that in this city no one repairs Ferrari/Mas other than the dealer!
What reason did they give you? I can't imagine it is a warranty issue, because the clutch isn't covered anyway. I am conerned I will have the same problem here!

Here is a strategy I was considering: how hard is it to take the clutch out and then put back in? I was thinking I could get a local garage I trust, but who doesn't have SD3 do this work, then get it to the dealer to adjust the PIS. I can't see how they would refuse to do that. But then again ....

·
Registered
793 Posts
What reason did they give you? I can't imagine it is a warranty issue, because the clutch isn't covered anyway. I am concerned I will have the same problem here!
The dealer does not have to give you a reason but the reality is that he can't sell you the junk OEM parts and make his profit when a complete rebuild is under $700.00!

Forget the dealer and find an independant shop. A good shop need not be a maserati mechanic although it helps.

---Here is a strategy I was considering: how hard is it to take the clutch out and then put back in? I was thinking I could get a local garage I trust, but who doesn't have SD3 do this work, then get it to the dealer to adjust the PIS. I can't see how they would refuse to do that.
Open your eyes and "see". Why would they adjust your clutch when they would know another shop worked on it? How would they know? The area would be clean, and the PIS would be near -0-! They probably will shine you on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts