Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a newbie here. I'm a potential Gransport owner. I love the whole package. In doing a search on the web about the car I ran across this site. Now I'd love to add it to my little collection, but something has to go. I have a 1989 328GTB with only 3000 miles on it. The car is immaculate. What I love most about the 328 is its mix of old and new world Ferrari. Although it hasn't been driven much, I've never had a problem with it, it being a last year 89 model it was as refined as you could get it. While it doesn't have the power of most modern sports cars not many can touch it when it comes to its terrific road feel. Even its no power steering is great, raw and refined at the same time, a perfect match.

Now I'm a big fan of the 360 Stradale, but the Gransport is a beautiful and similar concept for 100 grand less. Will it be the classic the 328 is, probably not, will it be solid investment like the 328 is, probably not, will be happy with it as much as the 328, thats unknown, but just reading about the Gransport, I'm very excited about how Maserati packaged this car. Have you heard the sound of it on the maseratigransport.com website? If you haven't, check it out, its sounds like the Trofeo Challenge car.

Anyway, thats the boat I'm in, I'm a pretty lucky guy so I guess in the end I win no matter what decision I make. I look forward to being a part of the message board in the future as more Gransport news starts to trickle in.

Phil
8)

·
Registered
291 Posts
They are very different cars. IMHO the 328-GTB is a very nice looking car but with poor mechanical qualities: when you drive it this car does not bring the Waouw like a Testarossa, a Modena or a Maserati Coupé. A car is in any case a sunk cost, not an investment. If I have the choice, I will choose the Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa, lowered with a Tubi exhaust, the same car I drive today :twisted: I do not like the GranSport interior and the premium for the add-ons is too expensive :oops:
Maybe the GranSport wheels can be a good option to add :wink:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Awesome topic. Well it really depends on what you are looking for. I don't have experience behind the wheel and I'm more biased to the Ferrari in some ways. The Maserati will be a smoother ride and more luxury being new. I would get the opinions of the owners here and then get the opinion of the Ferrari owners here: http://www.ferrariforum.net

·
Registered
38 Posts
To me, the biggest difference is usage. I drive my Maserati Spyder almost everyday. It's great in rain, enough trunk space for routine trips to the store, extremely comfortable, blesses your entire wardrobe with the scent of fine Italian leather, and dropping the top in traffic always puts a smile on my face. And consider this, I get to enjoy the engine, trans, and exhaust note every day while others are scurrying to get to and from work, looking forward to the weekend to get their toys out. I live in/with my toys.... that is why we have them in the first place, to enjoy them, no? I consider the Maserati a daily driveable Ferrari - what could be better?

Appropriately, I no longer think of my daily commute as a 40 minute drive, one way. I now think of work as 9-10hours before I get to jump in my car again.

And as said before, 99.9% of vehicles aren't investments. Your 328 may not depreciate substantially from where it is today, but as far as investments go, no sane financial advisor would ever recommend buying a 328 Ferrari over real estate. One size doesn't fit all. A solid investment in vehicles typically means an ultra rare, ultra expensive car that gets little or no usage and care akin to surgical precision. To enjoy a truly remarkable car, you have to drive it, or you are missing out on the majority of the fun. Instead of a Ferrari or Maserati as garage art, I'd suggest a Picasso. Beautiful, good investment, and intended to be looked at.

Go with the Maserati, it won't disappoint you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Shifter have the same feeling as me. When I do not work at the customer office (I am self-employed consultant) I am unhappy to wait for the next opportunity to drive my daily driveable Maserati. After 65000 km I am still fully enjoying every aspect of the car.

I challenged many times the possibility to change it for someting else, essentially the Ferrari :

Ferrari : truly "sex" cars, but I like my 4 seats, do not like a lot the 456, the 612 is too expensive and I am not sure to be alive after 8 weeks with a Ferrari and snow on the road.

Porsche : very daily driveable, even in the snow, but not "sex" at all, poor sound, too much cars on the road, do not like the handling (the front is too light, I prefer 50%/50% weight distribution).

MB AMG (my previous car was a CLK 55) : daily driveable as the Maserati, nice interior, nice sound (more like a boat), nice power but very poor handling (it is more like a dragster for public road).

BMW M3 : very nice car, but very bad image (chick's car).

Audi RS? : more like the MB, not a sport car, bad image (dad's car).

The last point : like with girls, I cannot give my feelings to 2 cars like a lot of my friends :wink:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your feedback. I don't necessarily agree that my 328 is of poor mechanical quality. After 15 years of the 308/328 model, my 1989 model was perfected. Now I can't speak on behalf of all 328 owners, but from my personal experience it has been rock solid. No problems besides regular maintanance.

Of course no car is an investment outside of the incredibly rare models, but I know I can pretty much get back for the 328 what I paid for it. I know the Gransport will lose me $20,000-$30,000 a few years down the road. Its only money right :wink:

I know the Gransport is obviously more modern and perhaps more of a daily driver, but what I want most out of it is a raw, visceral feel. I think that was Maserati's intention too. Looking forward to driving one soon :D

Phil
8)

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
So you have decided to get the Maserati or keep the Ferrari? If you are getting the Maserati let us know how it goes. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts