Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bigest bang for the buck on my Viper where K&N's and straight pipes from the cats back (45 HP at the crank). Roller rockers, throttle body and porting and polishing where high dollar, small increases per dollar.

Has anyone dyno'ed this 4.2 before and after? Theoretically, the engine has enough displacement for these 2 mods to yeald 15-20 HP (which you should really feel once the ECU finally stabilizes). Plus, I'm guessing a Maserati with cat-backs sounds sweeeeeet at the high RPM's (Viper is pushing it at 5,000)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I believe the straight pipes, but has anyone ever shown proven dyno'ed increases in HP from just K&N's? I'm not aware of any.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Be patient, MVP is going to be introducing kits in stages that will be dyno proven to increase horsepower. Consisting of exhaust manifolds (headers), exhaust systems, intake upgrades, catalytic converter and race pipe upgrades, and much more in 07.

Now that 03's are going to be coming out of warranty you will see us heavily involved in the Maserati aftermarket and unlike other companies charging $3k for some mufflers we will make sure this is something everybody can afford. All I can say for now but Maserati is our main focus car in 2007 here at MVP one reason I bought an 06 Coupe instead of an F355, I get to be the test dummy.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
F. Yu said:
I believe the straight pipes, but has anyone ever shown proven dyno'ed increases in HP from just K&N's? I'm not aware of any.
I found this tidbit. If they're right, it'll add 7-15 HP to the Maser. I absolutely noticed a gain on the Viper. Never dyno'ed mine but other club members claim close to 20 HP from the K&N's and close to 30 HP from the straight pipes and smooth intake (from 450 to 500 HP at the crank).

2. What increase in horsepower should I see from a K&N replacement filter?

We perform dyno (power curve) testing on our products. Our replacement filters typically provide a 2 to 4 percent horsepower increase. Your results will vary depending on your vehicle, driving habits, load on the engine (towing for example), existing air system restriction, and other factors.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was looking underneath my car last night and was shocked to see how Maserati runs the pipes under the steering rack! They looks like they have to compress the pipes down to like 1" to run underneath the rack. I can't imagine how much power is being lost with all those exhaust gases being compressed down through that restriction! YIKES!

Mike
'02 GT Coupe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jalpa_Mike said:
I was looking underneath my car last night and was shocked to see how Maserati runs the pipes under the steering rack! They looks like they have to compress the pipes down to like 1" to run underneath the rack. I can't imagine how much power is being lost with all those exhaust gases being compressed down through that restriction! YIKES!

Mike
'02 GT Coupe
Mike, you're right! The junction between the headers and pre cats is squished quite thin. It would seem that no matter what was done after the cats, you wouldn't get much more flow. Sweeter exhaust note? yes!

Buzz

·
Registered
635 Posts
CDF:

WOW! Seeing it out of the car really puts it into perspective! I can't believe how much of a restriction there is on that pipe!

What did you do about it? Anything, or did you just put it back on?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I tried to have my muffler shop who did all my straight pipe work here in town expand this area. He would not touch it for legal reasons with emmision codes.

I wanted to have oval pipe or a 4" pipe which was sqeezed in the same fashion as stock put in place.

search "racing exhaust" on this forum to see what CDF did. With custom dyno tuning, he has a lot of power availible. but with the current tuning on the market it is unobtainable. However I do know that Formula Dynamics is working on a custom tune and would be able to accomidate changes like this. I have ridden in one of thier tech cars, they have a few masi's they test on and the power comes on much harder than mine. Once they can do the tune, I may cut out my back cats and replace this squished pipe.
Robb

·
Registered
201 Posts
Those funky pipes and the rest of the stock system reside in my attic!

I went all out on a new exhaust system and ECU reprogramming, but probably didn't achieve very much above stock horsepower. For example, I think Gransport13 got the same dyno power with his stock Gransport!

Like Robb is saying, there is lots of unrealized potential, but our cars are starved for air. I think the ultimate mod (after sports springs) would be a beefier air intake system, like Gruppe makes for Ferrari.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the pipe constrictions. By way of comparison, when you switch my Kreis-sieg system to silent mode, the exhaust is re-routed through a right-angle turn that makes the stock constriction look mild; but I lose only about 6 HP.

·
Registered
202 Posts
MVP said:
Be patient, MVP is going to be introducing kits in stages that will be dyno proven to increase horsepower. Consisting of exhaust manifolds (headers), exhaust systems, intake upgrades, catalytic converter and race pipe upgrades, and much more in 07.

headers... i like the sound of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts