Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a pamphlet on the K-40 "Calibre" wireless radar detector and optional laser defense system. 2 units, one behind each bumper give "360 protection" and directional info.
I've always been a Valentine 1 fan,but, this looks interesting. Has anyone seen or used this? How would it compare to V-1?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just picked up a pamphlet on the K-40 "Calibre" wireless radar detector and optional laser defense system. 2 units, one behind each bumper give "360 protection" and directional info.
I've always been a Valentine 1 fan,but, this looks interesting. Has anyone seen or used this? How would it compare to V-1?
I'm not sure about a "new technology" but I had a K40 system put in my QP in early 06. And elegant design for sure but hasn't worked to well. I've gotten three tickets; was nice to have K40 pay for one of them, but . . .
So I started using both the V1 and K40 now for about a year and the V1 has proven clearly superior to the K40. Fewer false alarms, earlier warnings by far. And I found the Laser protetion of the K40 pretty much useless.

If you search this board you'll find additional comments on the K40 vs. V1.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
K40

I have had the K40 installed now for 3 months and it works great, no tickets and has saved me twice. As any system, you have to slow down quickly when you hear the alerts.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The primary difference between a standard K-40 and the Caliber is that the sensors are connected to the main unit via wireless technology...have not used one and will continue to stick with the tried and true wired unit for now...anyone with a K-40 in a CC? if so post up pics I am trying to figure out where to put mine

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the calibre in

My porsche for about a year and have recently had it put in my coupe gt. I like it. It is great for a stealthy install and works very well- I can take pics to show you if you like. I agree that the range on the v1 may be a little better but in terms of stealth the k40 is great. Make sure you get a knowledgable installer to do the job.

·
Registered
518 Posts
10 of my other cars have them I just cannot figure out where to put it in hte maserati

·
Registered
177 Posts
i had them

Placed on the rubberized cowl that covers the steering column. I ordered the k40 leds and the inser drilled 2 tiny holes in the cowl and mounted the leds flush with the top edge of the cowl. They are undetectable and not as bright as the pods (which I thought would give me a seizure when they were flashing crazily). The holes arw tiny and If I have to, I can just leave the leds behind if I sell the car. I will try and take pics this weekend. The installer is finishing up with the nav and stereo. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have one of the pods in the top corner of the windshield they are really bright! I added some thinned black paint to the LED to tint it down...makes a lot of difference.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you

can also shave down the led glass a bit to dull the emission.
that is hwy i got the leds- they seemed a little less bright as a larger part of the led is below the surface where i mounted them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have used the K40 in my GS for the past year and a half. It has always given me advanced warning of bogies and I strongly recommend it. I use a Beltronics unit in my other vehicles that does not have a laser defuser and is not permanently installed. It does not compare with the performance and early detection of the K40/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts