Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

So I just test drove a red 02 GT coupewith 11k miles. Firstly, I must say that the car is beautiful. I am very seriously looking at purchasing this car. I had a few quesions though.

Firstly, the previous owner just replaced the clutch. The Ferrari mechanics told him that there was some issue with the pressure plate so he replaced the clutch and plate for some rediculous price. When i drove the car, the friction point on the clutch felt awkwardly high. I am coming from an E46 M3 so maybe I just need to get used to it. Maybe I should get a clutch stop or something to reduce the travel of the pedel? Is this normal?

Also, the steering felt a bit soft and inaccurate. The car does not have that many miles on it. How is it supposed to feel? I think the steering on our '06 X5 4.8is feels better. The M3 certianly did.

How is the GPS? I will be using this car as my only vehicle, as I will have to sell my Ducati to afford it. I will be driving from MD to FL a few times a year and need reliable GPS. Is it updatable?

Lastly, is there anything I should look for before purchasing the car? It is going for $40k. There is not one dent or scratch on the car. A lot of swirl marks but I can buff them out. Thanks in advance

Mike

·
Registered
357 Posts
The GPS is considered to be very inferior to something like a garmin. The input interface is awkward and there hasn't been an update to the disks since 2003. New disks are rumored for 2008, but who knows.

If the clutch is engaging near the top, I'd want to see the receipt on the "new clutch" from a factory authorized shop.

I'd describe the steering as slightly heavy but in no way imprecise. This is a GT car designed for high speed cruising. There is NO play in it and it centers well at speed. Maybe there's an alignment problem.

I agree that negotiating a price in the mid upper 30s might be about right.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My clutch has been like the one you looked at since it was new.
First time drivers always have an issue with the engagement point until they get used to it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
do a full PPI on it...if it clears out well and you like the drive, go for it...you should get it in the mid 30's.

i grew up in MD/DC and live in s.florida...no GPS necessary...95 South straight shot! good luck :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My clutch has been like the one you looked at since it was new.
First time drivers always have an issue with the engagement point until they get used to it.
Would a clutch stop help? It just feels awkward. There is no benefit to that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
.... shop around you can find 05 coupes still under warranty with lo miles for mid 50's. An 02 out of warranty even with lo miles is worth 30-33 at best.

·
Registered
196 Posts
how do you figure? what facts can i use to nagotiate with?
look at autotrader-ebay-cars.com- manheim auctions are often quoted here. ebay had a few 2003's that had less than 15k and sold for 39 a few weeks back.

the market is very slow on pre owned hi lines just like the real estate market. maseratis depreciate faster than mercedes and you can find yourself a 2003 mercedes cl600 v12
twin turbo with 35k for miles for under 40k at the moment and that car listed at 160,000 plus and will get you zero to sixty in about 4.2 sec be patient but trust me 40,000 for a 2002 coupe is over priced no mater how nice the car is.

if you look hard enough in the next 2-3 months you will see 2005 gran sports for mid 50's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
look at autotrader-ebay-cars.com- manheim auctions are often quoted here. ebay had a few 2003's that had less than 15k and sold for 39 a few weeks back.

the market is very slow on pre owned hi lines just like the real estate market. maseratis depreciate faster than mercedes and you can find yourself a 2003 mercedes cl600 v12
twin turbo with 35k for miles for under 40k at the moment and that car listed at 160,000 plus and will get you zero to sixty in about 4.2 sec be patient but trust me 40,000 for a 2002 coupe is over priced no mater how nice the car is.

if you look hard enough in the next 2-3 months you will see 2005 gran sports for mid 50's
Yea i was actually looking at Cl600s actually. I dont know about 0-60 in 4.2 but I believe the depreciation rate. My budget is 40k max for a car now or low 40s this summer. I like this particular car but would really like to get the price down. Any advice for how to do so would be greatly apreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts

i agree 100%. i think next year will be a nice time to find good deals on high line cars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The clutch on these cars disengages very high. Not sure why it's designed that way, but it is.

I'd search for an 05 (04 at the earliest). The 02 was brand spanking new - many small modifications occurred since then to make it a better car. And yes, prices will keep dropping (unfortunately). The value of these cars are sinking faster than the dollar. Wonder if Bernanke has something against Italian cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts