Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put together a new grille - 2002 Coupe

I just put this grille together today for my 2002 coupe. I was so tired of looking at the beautiful GS grills and wanting more chome so I decided I would take a shot on making one myself. Took a few hours but all in all a pretty easy procedure.

What do you guys think? All feedback is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I just put this grille together today for my 2002 coupe. I was so tired of looking at the beautiful GS grills and wanting more chome so I decided I would take a shot on making one myself. Took a few hours but all in all a pretty easy procedure.

I think it looks damm good, Great job. My first thought was air flow. How is that working out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Love it! what was the cost and can you put together a DIY pdf for the rest of us?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lorenz - I didn't take it for a ride today after I finished up but I too had some concerns for air flow when I was putting it together. Do you think something like this could make a big difference? I sure hope not....

It took me right around 3 hours to complete the procedure and the total cost was maybe a little over $100. The main reason I did it myself was because after searching for 2 years I hadn't come across a grille that I liked.

Thanks guys...glad to hear you like!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Lorenz - I didn't take it for a ride today after I finished up but I too had some concerns for air flow when I was putting it together. Do you think something like this could make a big difference? I sure hope not....

It took me right around 3 hours to complete the procedure and the total cost was maybe a little over $100. The main reason I did it myself was because after searching for 2 years I hadn't come across a grille that I liked.

Thanks guys...glad to hear you like!
I think it could be a concern but never know untill u drive it in hot weather. Looks like 1/8 dia. expanded metal. IF its doesnt permit enough air flow go up to 1/4 inch. it would still look goo especially chromed. I actually have access to a welding shop where i can make that but i dont need it. Looks fantastic on ur car. Great idea

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lorenz I'll keep it in mind. Is over heating the only way to tell if the car is having air flow issues? I would think there would be a significant loss of power depending on how much air it's getting.

If it turns out to be restricting air flow I wonder what additional modifications can be done in order to increase air flow without having to redo the grille.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Philly - you did a great job! Where did you source the materials? I've always wanted to do something similar to the lower front intake vents.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the positive feedback!!

Vincenzo- My father actually found a website to order chromed sheet metal. I'll check with him and let you know. If you don't hear from me please feel free to ping me again as a reminder.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Thanks Lorenz I'll keep it in mind. Is over heating the only way to tell if the car is having air flow issues? I would think there would be a significant loss of power depending on how much air it's getting.

If it turns out to be restricting air flow I wonder what additional modifications can be done in order to increase air flow without having to redo the grille.
Well if u have engine temp higher scince u installed it and made this change then its an obvious air flow issue. Im not sure what else u can do. i wouldnt want to mess around under the hood because of a cosmetic change. tough call. drive it and let us know what happenes. IM surprised u havent driven it yet. the suspense is killing us;)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Well if u have engine temp higher scince u installed it and made this change then its an obvious air flow issue. Im not sure what else u can do. i wouldnt want to mess around under the hood because of a cosmetic change. tough call. drive it and let us know what happenes. IM surprised u havent driven it yet. the suspense is killing us;)
If there is an airflow issue (higher temps) switching to stainless mesh would be the way to go and give you a similar look....and closer to the GS grill. Another thing to try is to add RedLine WaterWetter to the radiator. It'll lower the coolant temp a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thodgez I can absolutely put together a DIY. It was a pretty easy procedure. The only thing I'll be missing is the company where I was able to obtain the sheet of chrome from. Please keep in mind that this procedure is likely only good for Maserati coupe and spider from 2002-2004. Sorry I'm unable to provide any pictures.

Step 1- Remove 4 screws from the grille chrome surrounding. They can be found if you lay on your back as if you were looking at the stars.
Step 2- The bottom portion of the chrom surround is held in by 4 push pins which are locked into place by metal clips. My father made a make shift tool to reach through the grill and apply preasure to pop them free. I think you can also use a screw driver. Some force will need to be applied for removal. Please note that the Maserati emblam is not holding anything to the body and should not be twisted.
Step 3- Once grille and chrome surround is removed (initially one piece) you can seperate the chrome surround from the actual metal grill and black colored bracket which holds it in place. It's held on by the same 4 push pins/screws that were locking it in place. Simply use a wrench to loosen and unscrew. FYI The current mesh grille seems to be sodered to the black colored bracket.
Step 4- Lay chrome sheet metal under current bracket/grille. Trace/outline with sharpie. Be sure to also trace correct spacing for the tabs that hold bracket in place (in this area leave long tabs in order to hold screws for bracket). Rather then ruin the current grille by pulling it off/cutting it off of the bracket I decided to leave it alone. I figured this would not only provide support to my new grille but I could still use it if I didn't like the outcome of my project.
Step 5- Cut out tracing with metal cutting sheers. At this point the size of the grille will naturally be too large to fit within the bracket and it will require some additional trim work. As I said, rather then ruin the current grille I decided to make the sheet metal fit like a puzzle piece within the bracket rather then wrap around it. At this step I was very careful not to cut off too much at one time. As they say patience is a virtue. So trim a little at a time until it fits to your liking. It's important not to force the metal into place because it can cause waves in the grille.
Step 6- Once you've cut the chrome mesh to your liking it's ready to be put back into it's chrome housing. Simply slide the chrome facing back onto it's bracket and use the 4 push pin screws to hold it back in place.
Step 7- Once the bracket is locked onto the chrome housing you can now puch the grill back into place on the Coupe. Make sure that all 4 push pins lock/click into place on their brackets. Once you hear the clicks screw in the remaining 4 screws and you're ready to rock on.

If you have any questions feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Philly hows ur car running scince u put in the new grill
It's been good thus far although I've only taken it out for one longer drive (not my daily driver) and it's still pretty cold here in the north east. We'll see when the temp warms up. On a side note, I called the company I ordered the materials from and they said I should have no air flow issues what so ever. Only time will tell.....:cheers:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
well im not so sure how the company would know how ur car is going to run. only ur car and engine will tell u that when it warms up. But the grill sure is pretty and i hope it works out for u.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello all...after a 100 mile drive today I'm happy to report that there were no over heating issues! Hoping this holds up on 90 degree days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey PhillyMaser; I liked the change you made, so I took out the black "chicken wire" and followed your instructions for a new look for my car.
Thanks; Howard

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Good job to both of you. Maybe Jeff @ FD should buy the idea from you and offer the grill as a mod.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts