Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone for posting all of your experiences with your Maseratis. It was with your help that I finally decided to trade in the M3 for the Maserati. I love the sound of that V8 along with the awesome transmission. After a few hundred miles with the vehicle, I have a few questions.

1. How can I find out if I have the latest software update for the F1 and the radio.
2. The F1 is a little slow with the downshifts. When I use the flipper to downshift, it seems to take a sec or two before the tranmission catches and finally have the power to the wheels. Is this normal or will a software update help?
3. The radio seems to lose frequencies quite often. I know there have been software updates to fix this issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks again to everyone for all of the good info. Also thanks in advance for any help with some of the questions that I have.

JAFO

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dear Jafo,

If you survey this board on the topic of transmission software upgrades, you will find that they actually slow the shifts, not quicken them. Some believe that the engines were actually de-tuned as well. Apparently, the factory had some concern about customers complaining of jerky shifts and premature clutch wear. For those of us who like the more extreme side of motoring, we have tried to preserve the original software, advising our service departments NOT to upgrade the car. The original software is apparently considered, "too jerky," for the typical Maserati consumer. Sadly, I suspect that my '02 was upgraded at one of the service intervals inadvertently, as shifts seemed smoother but slower since my last service. I keep mine on, "Power," at all times. The speed with which the gears change seem to be in proportion to throttle position. If you're driving conservatively, and lift off the throttle as you shift, it is quite smooth, with practice almost as smooth as an automatic. At 3/4 or more acceleration, the shift, though still smooth, is much faster. It may be my imagination, but I seem to remember the shift being faster and harsher when I first bought my car. Thus, don't be so fast to get the upgrades unless you want the more luxurious feel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frankie,
Thanks for the reply. While the luxurious feel is nice, I'm with everyone else... I bought the car for the engine, suspension, and transmission. I'm not so much concerned about the jerky feel. Since I have a '03, I believe I have the updated software. I can understand the upshift delays (although I would rather have faster shifts), I can't understand the issue behind the delays in the downshifts. Thanks again for the reply. I have an appointment to have the radio looked at on June 2nd.

JAFO

·
Registered
246 Posts
1. I have an 03 cambio. The dealer just keeps it up to date with the latest software, so I don't know how to find out what you have without a dealer visit.
2. On shifting, be sure to put it in sport mode. The shifts in normal mode are very mushy. I find that downshifts when driving at constant speed are amazingly smooth. The car blips automatically and the downshift is hardly noticeable. Good for downshifting while exiting a freeway. If you downshift with hard braking, I suggest that you practice blipping the throttle using a heel/toe method. It actually works amazingly well, even with the cambio. They taught us this at a track day arranged by my dealer.
3. The radio sucks, there is just no other description. Without an external antenna (which I have to admit I don't want) it just doesn't pick up stations very well. I just wish they would make it possible to add an iPod, for example. That is also just about impossible.

Overall, the car is indeed awesome, and I have no regrets.
Have fun.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts