·
Registered
1,067 Posts
1 hour per wheel

you did pretty good.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The dealer did mine after installing new tires, only charged $150, but I believe that the work was subbed out to the tire shop that did the tire install. It was through FMOC.

Eric

·
Registered
793 Posts
just got a 4 wheel alignment at a dealer for $415.00 is that a decent price?
Are you nuts? $415 for a 4 wheel alignment!

I had my local tire expert do mine on the regular well respected alignment machine, and it was $119.00!

That cured a few alignment issues I had.

You are getting robbed from your dealer who probably did not even do it!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have to agree with GCalo

did they spend 4 hours doing it? $415 seems excessive. Pretty sure they used the Hunter alignment machine which is the industry standard and used pretty much everywhere

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh, i thought it was high too but i called two other dealers and they wanted over $500.00. they all said the job would take 3 to 4 hours and it did .the dealer i used did put it on a hunter machine and i did get a printout.i put new tires on and i didn't want to take any chances on ruining them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought the alignment was all shims & set relative to the centre\thrust line of the car? in which case it could easily be a big job it it's out. If I'm mistaken, shout up, I'd hate to pay that if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had it done about 2 months ago at the dealer and it was 3-4 hours charge. The local tire place said they could do it and had specs in the system for my coupe, but they stripped the bolts holding the rear subframe of my Mini, which resulted in having to get a new subframe. It was totally their fault and they paid, but that car was in the shop ~ month. Did not want even the possibility of the same fate for the coupe.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The flatrate manual from Maserati

allows for one hour per wheel for the alignment... So whatever the shop rate is......

I am going to be paying 1.5 hours per wheel to install the sport springs and do the alignment here in July with Ferrari of Denver... I have already scheduled it up for the week of the 15th....

I didn't think $400.00 was crazy for 4 wheel alignment on a Maserati especially when I pay $212.00 for my Toyota 4 Runner for the lifetime alignment package at tires plus.

·
Registered
150 Posts
just got a 4 wheel alignment at a dealer for $415.00 is that a decent price?
I wrote back a couple of years ago the following dat. Please read. If you have got this work done, $415 is a bargin. Kai

GranSport Lowered and Corner-Weighted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By help from Jeff Roeland at Formula Dynamics USA and Dean Hendrikse at Americas Best Automotive in Atlanta, I have lowered my GranSport. I am pleased with the final result. Not too stiff and yet much flatter in the curves. From my about 200 miles home trip, I found Jeff being quite right with his recommendation:

My advise is once you've found a ride height that is appropriate for your taste, be sure to put some miles on the vehicle as the Skyhook has to relearn the new heights and it may take 100-200 miles or so for that to happen. Once the car has adequate time to adjust, you will see that the car is quite firm but not too rigid. We've only changed your spring rate by 25%.

However, during the installation phase, executed by the primer alignment shop in Atlanta (does all the work for Ferrari, Maserati and Aston Martin and more), we experienced some difficulties due to lack of instructions. That said, Jeff has been excellent to work with and will for any of you who whishes to go this route include text and possible sketches to assist with the installation.

My new ride heights are; Front-Right: 94.5 mm; Front-Left: 92.0 and Rear-Right: 82.5 mm; Rear-Left: 93.0 mm (differences due to corner-weighting of the car)
Above dimensions are measured from top of the 19" GS-rim to the bottom of the fender. (Note pics. shows inches and in an agle thus not quite the shotest distance.

Feel free to contact me direct [email protected] or comment here on the forum if you like more details.

MASERATI = EXCELENCE THROUGH PASSION !
Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
357 Posts
A toe in adjustment at a tire shop is one thing and a toe/caster/camber setting on all 4 is a different thing. The price sounds pretty decent for dealer work.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
My new ride heights are; Front-Right: 94.5 mm; Front-Left: 92.0 and Rear-Right: 82.5 mm; Rear-Left: 93.0 mm (differences due to corner-weighting of the car)
Above dimensions are measured from top of the 19" GS-rim to the bottom of the fender.
Can someone do some educating here on the reasons for the different ride heights on the corners. As I'm planning on getting the FD Springs, how do you determine the various ride heights and specs to provide the shops - I have found no shops in my area that have ever touched this car and moist are hesitant.

I suspect I would need to provide them with the above ride heights, toe, camber. What else ?

TIA

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
As far as a $415.00 wheel alignment, there are a few factors to consider...

First and foremost is what is the labor rate of the facility, If they are competent on Maseratis it's likely to be in excess of $100.00 an hour.

Secondly, How BAD did the car drive in the first place, was it all over the road, did it pull to one side, did it chew up the tires, etc. etc.

Thirdly, WHAT work was done that prompted a wheel alignment? Did you get new tires, springs, socks, bushings or whatever. The deeper you go into disassembly, the more you will have to adjust.

The Factory WARRANTY (which is 50% of customer pay rate) time for a wheel alignment is 1.8 Hours, so 3-4 hours IS reasonable provided they ACTUALLY adjust ALL Caster/Camber and Toe angles to specification.
To properly set ALL angles Front and Rear can sometimes take well over 4 hours to do if you take into consideration a proper road test and any readjustment, which is possible.

As far as ride heights, the front should be the same side to side and ditto for the rear. Stock specs for a 4200 are as follwed...

Model year 2002- Front 177 +/- 4 mm Rear 188 +/- 5 mm
Model year 2003+- Front 162 +/- 5 mm Rear 180 +/- 5 mm

The Front measurement is taken from the center of the front lower control arm bolt to the floor and the Rear is from the center of the rear lower control arm bolt to the floor.

If these measurements are off that means that the springs are weak and sagging or the shock tower mounts are bent upward from bottoming out.
Of course low tire pressure will skew any results as well.

If anyone needs guidance or help with suspension set up or wheel alignment
procedures, please feel free to PM me.
I just completed an install of Jeff's FD sport springs on a Spyder and it was a
lot of work to get everything set up correctly, but the results speak for themselves.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Can someone do some educating here on the reasons for the different ride heights on the corners. As I'm planning on getting the FD Springs, how do you determine the various ride heights and specs to provide the shops - I have found no shops in my area that have ever touched this car and moist are hesitant.

I suspect I would need to provide them with the above ride heights, toe, camber. What else ?

TIA
to corner weight the car so that all wheels equal the same weight with the driver in the car.

makes the car handle better than not doing it.

also if you can spare the time it is better to sit in your car when the alignment is being done.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
This is a very average price. Some dealers try to charge $800+, some independants that just do alignments all day only charge $250. I've never seen it done for less, not for a proper shim alignment.

You did pretty fair.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.