Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to drive the granturismo today. It is a great car don't get me wrong. Drove great, definitely on the heavy side. Nice amenities and very comfortable. However, it doesn;t instill in me the feeling of a maserati. I own an 06 gransport which to me defines a real pure driving experience. I know the red flag went up when my significant other said " hey sweetie this one has cup holders, and isn't as loud". I am a little concerned about the future path of maserati. Are they done building sports cars?. Also the amount of leather in the car is very scarce, only the seats and the arms of the doors. It felt as if i was driving a mercedes CL. I know that is the target for the GT but are they not going to make other sports cars. Unfortunately i think Aston Martin just gained a new customer.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I think the GT is clearly a step in the direction of sporty luxury cars. The fact that it's based on the QP should have already given us an idea as to what expectations we should have on the car (which I am supposed to test drive in February).

I don't know if Maser will make a GranSport version of the GT, but I believe we all think they should, though they'll have to make sure the performance doesn't come too close to Ferrari's entry level car (F430 at the moment).

OT: I already know I will not get a Maserati as replacement for the GS I drive, but that's down to personal financial reasons :(, though I have my eyes on the Fiat 500 Abarth :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had previously expressed my disappointment with the car especially with F of SF not allowing a drive of more than 3-4 miles! How can one evaluate a new car in that short driving distance?

It's nice but heavy, brakes not great, and it revs very high at lower speeds. back seats are not much good other than for children and small items.

Overall I was not impressed as it felt little different than my CL500.

For me it's too new a car to buy in it's first year.

I had considered the QP as well, but have decided to wait to see how the auto tranny model holds its value. The Duoselect models have tanked valuewise, and I would not like to see that happen to the new auto tranny model.

I am thinking that Bentley has more to offer, and I have been looking that way although 12 cylinders with gas approaching $4.00/gallon does not excite me.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
they never have the GS owners in mind when they planned the GT.

i think the GT was planned more by marketing than the engineers or designers. the Giugiaro coupe/spyder since 2002 did not make a tremendous profit for Ferrari/Maserati North America (one of the biggest market in the world). poor resale didn't help.
the 2005 introduction of the GS breathes new air into the series, (to the enthusiasts), but short lived.
the 2005 diversification with the QP broadens up the brand appeal, but the DS scared away many rich potential customers. That's why they scurried to get the AT into the QP.

the GT is a logical extension to broaden up the client base. yes, they want to draw buyers from the MB, BMW, Jaguar crowd.

unfortunately they left those owners (02, 03, 04) with their cars' warranty expiring and no real motivation to trade in for the GT (similar engine spec, but with an AT...) the current owners were definitely not their target audience.

the GT does appeal to a few. i believe there was some 'research' that the general public thinks the Maserati's are priced along side with Aston Martins and Ferrari's. and did i mention the 6er are ugly and the CL are big fat pigs?

as for whether it is the direction... i hope it is not. they have the capability to design and execute a proper sports car that draws attention around the world. 8C!!!!!! is as much as maserati as an alfa romeo.

Hopefully, Maserati will introduce a more hard core version of the GT, similar to the GS or the QP GTS, with uprated engine, active exhaust, suspension.

·
Registered
86 Posts
!!!patience!!!

Hello chaps....
Don't forget one big issue...
Maserati was on the edge of bankruptcy a few years ago.
Since you fellows Americans do not stand cars like '98 QP or 442 or Gibli (and well you do not) Maser needed a Trojan horse to the world's biggest market, and most demanding though........ as far as quality warranty and reliability is concerned. With 55mph on most highways and a lot of boring straight roads, managers believe that what the American market needs is a big heavy, reliable, beautiful car from an upper breed, rather than a Ferrari replica whatever this means.
And Voila there it is GRANDTUTISMO yours trully!!!!!!!!!!
But what about all other good fellow Americans (and us Europeans) whose blood looks and smells like gasoline?
Something is on the way guys be patient..........
And by the way.... AM..... have you ever tried to use the semi-automatic gearbox of the DB9 or the Vanquish???
Nightmare.... you will bethink the good ol' times with your Maser... For sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, the GT is perfectly fitted for the market it was made... driving a porsche is not the same as a GT, the GT is aimed for much more luxery comfort driving, i guess MAS sport fans drivers like you guys seems to be have to wait a little when they come out with the F1 gearbox 4.7 GT... be happy that they can make that car with the money they earned on the GT on guys like me who love the car!!! it's a beaty

I am thinking that Bentley has more to offer
My god, i test drove for 2 hours the Bentley SPEED (610 HP), you need definitly a GT when you are thinking about a bentley speed... that car is NOT at all a sports car as it was aimed to be... NOT AT ALL... test drive it like i did, and go again with the GT .. you will know what's best... no bentley for me!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
MaseratiBE may be right, that a more financially healthy Maserati is more likely to develop a 'third' model that would be a lighter, faster, F1'd GT in the GS mold. At this point (not that I'm looking) I don't know what would rightly replace my GS, although the right 550/575 at the right price could be the answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GT was delivered a few days ago.
It is an amazing car.
This is not the coupe or GS but it's not supposed to be.
For those cars, CC trans is great.
For this car, auto with paddles is perfect:

paddle shifting while driving solo or with one passenger (as with a coupe)

automatic when there are three passengers all talking at the same time about the amazing feel of the car...that is rather distracting and can make shifting difficult.

The transmission feels solid and responsive (even compared to my 360 F1)

i drove up and parked behind a friend who is a 430/MB amg owner and he said that the sound and look is unlike anything else out there, that it has such a presence.

i agree the back seats are a bit cramped but not bad for only 2 doors. seem comfortable for those about 5'10 and under.

some other annoyances: the amber warning light for passenger airbags off stays lit on the dash when no one (or i suppose a child) is sitting in the front passenger seat. non-alcantera headliner is sorta fuzzy and your hair sticks to it. front parking sensors would help a lot (not yet offered), back ones work fine. nav map lacks most street name details but zooms quickly. feels a tad underpowered when downshifting/accelerating to pass at higher/freeway speeds, but from a standing start to 60 feels quick. cup holders should be hidden, they are pretty lame.

everything else so far is good, should be getting more miles in this weekend, may take the backway into napa if it stops raining.....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
And by the way.... AM..... have you ever tried to use the semi-automatic gearbox of the DB9 or the Vanquish???
Nightmare.... you will bethink the good ol' times with your Maser... For sure.
i thought the GT and QP AT's ZF tranny is a similar version of the DB9's...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe if F of SF had given me more opportunity than a 25 cent drive I would have formed a different opinion.
I agree fully and completely with you, this is absolute unacceptable!! If i would be you i would just send out an e-mail to maserati italy HQ complaining about this, or call you dealer again and tell them you wan't a 'real' test drive , i was able to test drive it for days if i wanted to... my dealer sold a few GT's with milage due to testing on it ( 7000km / 4300miles) so don't tell me they can't give you a car to test it!!!! in what business are these guys in ?? bloody sissies!!!

the same story goes with Porsche, everybody hated the Porsche Boxter, admid it, that's not a real porsche, but they sold so many of them, they got the money to make porsche realy big and create an even better 911... if they only had the 911 they wouldn't be as big as porsche is now.. later they did the same succes again with the Cayenne, later they tryed again but failed with the Cayman...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Please..... :rolleyes:

porsche sold boxsters due to PRICE. They are junk.

So Maser makes a less sporty car to compete with a 911? What a joke. What market are they going after????? I hate the looks of them but havent driven one and probably wont. They make it less sporty, more heavy feeling, less sexy car and charge almost double an 06? :rolleyes: Doesnt sound like a good business plan. I would find it hard to believe this model will save Maser. IMHO

430 will be next for me.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree fully and completely with you, this is absolute unacceptable!! If i would be you i would just send out an e-mail to maserati italy HQ complaining about this, or call you dealer again and tell them you wan't a 'real' test drive ...
I would not waste my time doing so. This dealership knows me well, extended to me a personal invitation to it's unveiling in August, and then contacted me to come drive it.

They were given an opportunity and my time is much too valuable to chase them down.

The car is nice but did not capture my attention so that I need to chase them for more personal feel.

There are other cars capturing my interest which offer more of what interests me.

So, since the CL500 is going back to M-B in February under CA lemon law, who knows what i'll buy but it will not be a Gran turismo!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i thought the GT and QP AT's ZF tranny is a similar version of the DB9's...
I'm talking about the semiautomatic which is similar to the 4200 CC.
Sure is a similar version but when it comes to management......
Electronics seem to be AM's big problem.
lag, denial, and sometimes total idleness together with all strange Gremlins from the UK is all you get and you wonder...... is it worth the money i paid? do i deserve this? i should have gone for a Scaglietti:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm talking about the semiautomatic which is similar to the 4200 CC.
Sure is a similar version but when it comes to management......
Electronics seem to be AM's big problem.
lag, denial, and sometimes total idleness together with all strange Gremlins from the UK is all you get and you wonder...... is it worth the money i paid? do i deserve this? i should have gone for a Scaglietti:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
??? the DB9's 'semiautomatic' transmission is an AT box by ZF.
the 4200 CC is a roboticized manual.
not similar at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
porsche sold boxsters due to PRICE. They are junk.

So Maser makes a less sporty car to compete with a 911? What a joke. What market are they going after????? I hate the looks of them but havent driven one and probably wont. They make it less sporty, more heavy feeling, less sexy car and charge almost double an 06? :rolleyes: Doesnt sound like a good business plan. I would find it hard to believe this model will save Maser. IMHO

430 will be next for me.
Porsche boxters are indeed Junk, but they made so many money out of it it made a better 911 due to the profit.

They made a less sporty car to sell more cars and appeal to a different public, the Maserati GT came at a point Maserati needed this car the most, let's hope it runs well enough so they can make sports car you wan't from Maserati. By reading your comments about it, it's definitly not the car made for you, but it was for me!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Maser needed a Trojan horse to the world's biggest market, and most demanding though........ as far as quality warranty and reliability is concerned. With 55mph on most highways and a lot of boring straight roads, managers believe that what the American market needs is a big heavy, reliable, beautiful car from an upper breed, rather than a Ferrari replica whatever this means ........
As an FYI the 55 MPH speed limit in the US was repealed in 1995. The only place you will find it is heavily congested metro areas.

Also the GranTurismo is much like the cars that Maserati has traditionally produced much closer to an Aston Martin, as opposed to the type produced by Ferrari or Lamborghini.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Porsche boxters are indeed Junk, but they made so many money out of it it made a better 911 due to the profit.

They made a less sporty car to sell more cars and appeal to a different public, the Maserati GT came at a point Maserati needed this car the most, let's hope it runs well enough so they can make sports car you wan't from Maserati. By reading your comments about it, it's definitly not the car made for you, but it was for me!!!
I agree and I am super happy to hear you love yours. I guess my point is that by making a 125K+ entry level car that compares to a Vantage (I assume), that doesnt add into more profits.

If Maser added a model at 55K,basically a Boxster-like car, I can see how that would make money because more people could afford it, and have a level below the current 08 GT, it would make more sense.

Masers are rare and that is part of the appeal. If they made a boxster type car and they were all over the place, I would think the rarity appeal of a Maser would be gone, like Porsche. I LOVE Porsche but would not buy the one that I want for 140K because it looks almost identical to a 60K model one year old used Carrera.

I would think with a 125K sticker the Masers will stay a rare car. Most people will buy a Porsche instead... like they have been with the 06 GT vs a 06 Carerra.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took out the new GT a few weeks ago as well. It feels like it should be my dad's Maserati -- very nice, very comfortable, very civilized, but it feels a little too sanitized -- lacks that beastliness that lurks in my '04 Coupe. I'm in no hurry to "upgrade," but I can see how there could be a market for these cars, even if that market is not me.

I think that the challenge of the Coupes and Spyders is that they trade off more for luxury than the sports car crowd would like and trade off more for performance than the luxury crowd would like. In a sense, the Coupes and Spyders were in an automotive market no-man's land. Just as the GranSport came as a concession to the sports car market, I see the GT as an attempt to tap the luxury-performance market a little better. Mercedes is selling a ton of cars in this price range compared to Maserati. I think allot of those Merc CL and SL buyers might be enticed by the GT.

As for a new sports-oriented Maserati, I am holding out hope that this Edmunds story about a potential new Ghibli (in Ferarri 355 clothing) is for real. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=122286

1 - 20 of 29 Posts