Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Maserati 2003 Spyder GT. Onlookers have said they thought the car was new. Everything works and I have had no trouble with anything. The color is Med. Blue with Tan interior. The question is HOW DO THE MASERATI PEOPLE regard this 17 year old car? If there was a local show that I could take it to could it win recognition or would it be "what is that doing here ?" I did not get the car to do major work on, I got it because I like to have something different which it certainly is. Anybody comment ? Bob Zim.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Funny you mention that Bob, mine is 17 years old too and scrubs up rather nice with a polish with Poorboys and is a credit for a 17 year old car but on one occasion I went to an Italian Car Day show at a place called the Sharnbrook Hotel in Bedfordshire, here in the UK, I was queuing up to get in the show and the woman taking the money asked me if I was showing my car, I thought it's Italian car day, I'm in a Maserati, I'm in the queue to get in the show area and she asked me that question, needless to say I've never been back to that place.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It’s a classic Italian touring convertible. Okay it’s not a vintage Ferrari roadster, but it’s not a rusty fiat 124 either lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Unless its a pebble beach type show I think its perfectly fine to show. Non Maserati people dont know that some aren't Ferrari priced. And the guys in the high end Ferrari's and Maserati's might have owned one 17 years ago and most would be happy to see a nice example of a past Maserati they once owned or thought about owning. Some may have owned a rusty fiat in the past and would be happy to see one of those too. 😁

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have a Maserati 2003 Spyder GT. Onlookers have said they thought the car was new. Everything works and I have had no trouble with anything. The color is Med. Blue with Tan interior. The question is HOW DO THE MASERATI PEOPLE regard this 17 year old car? If there was a local show that I could take it to could it win recognition or would it be "what is that doing here ?" I did not get the car to do major work on, I got it because I like to have something different which it certainly is. Anybody comment ? Bob Zim.
If they love cars, like most of us do, I'm sure people would love to see a fine example of a truly fantastic automobile! The cars of today are built on the heritage of cars just like yours 👍🏽

·
Registered
313 Posts
Around LA, most people don't pay any attention to my Maserati. But I have a coupe, so maybe it would be different with a Spyder?

My Opel Manta gets wayyy more attention than any other car that I own. Constant thumbs up, questions, etc. while I'm driving.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
114 Posts
yeah man that's a rare vehicle, I'd personally would love seeing that in person. I saw a Gransport for the first time recently and I couldn't help checking it out up close. I once got a comment at a gas station when filling up my MC, some lady asked me what year and was shocked when I said 2014, she also thought it was new. Timeless design!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great post Bob, and I think a good question. These cars, 4200s, are rare in general, and 6sp Spyders are extremely rare. To put it in perspective, my car was well over $100k in 2003, about $140k in 2020 dollars. There were some very nice cars that could be had for that money at that time. The original owners were willing to pay a premium price for these. The main problem that I see, is that most people just don't know about them, or if they do, don't realize how rare they are.
The Spyder post I started was to try to find as many of these as I could, and get an idea of how many are left, and based on the response, there aren't that many. I think that these occupy a unique position in the history of Maserati, and in the future may become sought after. So show her off, and be proud to drive a rare car.
And yes, as soon as I have all the data that I think I can get, I'll post the list of 3 pedal cars. Ed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mine does very well at gatherings due to its exhaust. Its truly unique sounding, and always the very loudest one there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts