Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked the dealer to use engine oil I purchased from Jeff at FD, the q state 5w-40 an oil filter, and BMC air filter. The car had not had a 2 year service done on it and its last oil change was about a year ago. With 6k miles on it they recommended doing the 2 year service as well as the routine 6k service.

Basically they checked everything, changed out the coolant, power steering fluid, checked the belts, replaced the air filter for the AC, left the origional air filter of the car on. They called me and told me the original air filter was extremely clean and recommend I keep the BMC till the next service. They also changed out the Pilot bearing per a factory service bulletin.

The grand total price for all of this was $1400. My question is, is that a reasonable price to have charged? There was hardly any parts other than the power steering fluid and coolant fluid they used! so what gives? My sense is its not too bad, especially since it only had had two oil changes in 3 years, and the last being a year ago.

They charged $1125 for labor.. didn't specify how many hours they worked on the car but thats where most all of it came from. Then there was the TAX of course and an another $140 for the power steering and coolant fluids.

On a separate note, I ordered the Larini mufflers from Jeff and will post results when they arrive.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I paid $1,600 a couple of months ago at Auto gallery, in Calabasas, CA.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Typical dealer pricing.

Here's my breakdown from a local guy and I had the pleasure of working on the car with him. See my post on Part 1 of the 30k service.

$225 in Redline Oil, Redline Power Steering Fluid (really Redline ATF), Royal Purple Max Gear Tranny Oil, BMW Coolant. $40 for the oil filter (X-press shipped) from Trident Parts, $100 for the BMC Air Filter from FD. $20 for a Quart of CambioCorsa CHF to top it off (from Volvo).

$275 for Labor (plus $40 tip to one of the service guys - my choice).

We jointly flushed the coolant system, drained/replaced the oil and filter, cleaned up grease/debris with de-greaser and rags, drained and flushed the gear box and replaced with Royal Purple, I had already done the air filter, drained and replaced the power steering fluid and topped off the Cambio Corsa tank. The belts and everything else looked great.

I'm very satisfied. The balance I saved over the dealer is almost enough for the FD springs ! :) This kind of stuff does not need a dealer, any good competent mechanic can do it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Check Check Check Check...

as with any car, I have noticed that Scheduled services are mostly a check of things. Not much replacing, just checking things all at $110 per hr. I am sure there are things they may notice that may need repair, but as in most things, it is mostly checking things.....I often think of them as "peace of mind" services, however it really is a false sense of security

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
but as in most things, it is mostly checking things.....I often think of them as "peace of mind" services, however it really is a false sense of security
Yep - there's not much to check except fluid levels and a visual look see. They don't/cant really do anything more than anyone else.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'd go ahead and replace the air filter regardless of how much life was left in the old one - just keep it around as a spare. You'll be doing your engine a favor to replace the old paper filter with an easy-breather BMC. Mine became a tad more responsive when I swapped it out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes it is a glorified oil change. But a Maserati mechanic will know WHAT to look for during the service. Not necessarily a Dealer mechanic, just a trained one that knows the ins and outs of the car. It is after all a VERY expensive drivetrain and dry sumped lubrication. Mobil one 5w40 oil works the best in these engines and next time don't forget to flush the brake system, the OEM brake fluid is REALLY good(you will need a pressure bleeder).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts