Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. First saw the Merak when I was about 15 years old at the Earls Court motor show.
Nearly 50 years later I have finally got my hands on one! Will attach a couple of pictures but hoping to find this forum useful because I’ve never owned a car like this before and will no doubt have plenty of questions in the coming months!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A late Merak SS is probably the most useful classic exotic that there is. A bullet proof motor and transaxle, with tons of spares, drop dead gorgeous body, straight forward systems. I loved my Bora, but if I were to replace it, it would be with a Merak.
Welcome to the group, your new car is a beauty!
Well thank you very much. I have only owned it for two days and so far have only driven it off the trailer and into my garage because the weather has been shocking.
In the meantime I have spent hours sitting in the car trying to fathom out the barmy Italian switchgear. All good fun though and just opening the garage and seeing the car makes it all worthwhile!! Here are some more pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,884 Posts
SUPERB !

Mine ( not an SS ) was a salvage , reconstructed previously totaled car when I bought it , rusted , but no one could tell from the exterior which was very well “patched up” and completely painted . But very decent mechanically, never had problems with it .
And to this day I regret getting rid of it , would be fun to have it now .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I won’t be able to keep it looking like that as I fully intend to drive the car as much as I can.
It only has 27,500 miles on it but I’m not worried about putting mileage on as I don’t see the point in owning a car like this if you never drive it. But it will be dry days only.
Took it for the first time yesterday and it exceeded all my expectations. What a sound!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have to say that I really do prefer the later model Merak that you have with the Bora dash. Not sure if, by comparison, the LHD later version Merak's also have the Bora dash. The early model, if memory serves, has a single-spoke steering wheel, I think oval instruments, and it may have that strange Citroën brake pedal (bulb?).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have to say that I really do prefer the later model Merak that you have with the Bora dash. Not sure if, by comparison, the LHD later version Merak's also have the Bora dash. The early model, if memory serves, has a single-spoke steering wheel, I think oval instruments, and it may have that strange Citroën brake pedal (bulb?).
Yes I agree with you. The Merak has a total of three different dashboards over its lifetime. The Citroen SM one first then a quote bo
Yes you are correct.
The Merak had three different dashboards over its lifetime.
Initially it had the dashboard from the Citroen SM, then a quite boxy square dashboard, and then the dashboard from the Bora which I agree is by far the best.
To my knowledge all the later RHD models had the Bora one – but elsewhere it was a bit of a mixture.
My car has the Citroen hydraulic assisted brakes but a brake pedal rather than a button thankfully!
I don’t know if you have seen Harry’s Garage on YouTube where he tests a Merak and actually discusses the dashboards. Here is the link. It’s a good watch.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,884 Posts
Looking at the video, very nice review and good info ( and I love that color ! ) But a wait, a spare tire ? :oops: Do you have a spare tire over your engine compartment ?

( mine didn’t but it was in such bad shape when I bought it, I’m surprised it even had a steering wheel 😛… unless the spare tire was introduced only with the SS model..? )
Gabriel, ( merak1974 ) , did yours have a spare tire ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking at the video, very nice review and good info ( and I love that color ! ) But a wait, a spare tire ? :oops: Do you have a spare tire over your engine compartment ?

( mine didn’t but it was in such bad shape when I bought it, I’m surprised it even had a steering wheel 😛… unless the spare tire was introduced only with the SS model..? )
Yes it has a spare wheel. Just not shown on the picture. But thanks for asking!

·
Registered
800 Posts

Yes, I have a (correct and original) spare tyre for my car :) ... Pretty useless as a spare tyre though...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi folks. First saw the Merak when I was about 15 years old at the Earls Court motor show.
Nearly 50 years later I have finally got my hands on one! Will attach a couple of pictures but hoping to find this forum useful because I’ve never owned a car like this before and will no doubt have plenty of questions in the coming months!
Congrats! Your car looks absolutely fab!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts