Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just purchased my first maserati, a red 85 biturbo. I've loved this car since i was a kid.
Any way the car runs good and is in great shape in and out.
I need to get a new exhaust and try to find the very minor oil leak ASAP.

Anyone have any advice for a newcomer?

PS- I have not opened her up yet. Any way to determine functionality of the turbos?

·
Registered
329 Posts
What is the turbo boost gauge telling you?

Another option is to remove the tube from the turbo housing to the intake and stick your finger into the turbo housing and spin the puppy.

Where is the oil leak located??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turbos

The turbo gauge goes up when you accelerate a little hard but i havent seen it go into the yellow zone. I really havent hit the accelerator too hard yet so i don't know if it will go into the yellow if i floor it.
Thanks for the advice i'll check as you said.

as far as the leak i thought it was the oil pan gasket so i got one on line[auto italia] and repaced it. theres still a small leak a few drops after i shut down the engine and the car sits for a few days. probably not worth the headache. I can live with it.

hey- Im looking to redo the exhaust [has a lot of little holes everywhere] any problems with removing the cat converter while i'm at it? is it worth doing?
Thanks for your imput/help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If the boost gauge is not going into yellow then you probably have turbo issues. Not uncommon with Biturbos. Most owners do not let the engines idle down before shutting them off. This causes the oil in the turbo bearing housing to cook and eventually freeze the turbo.

How is the oil pressure?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil pressure is fine at or near max 5 psi. The turbo gage goes up but not into yellow. How hard do i need to hit the gas to get the turbo to engage and get into the yellow? Like i said i just got the car and did not hit it too hard yet. I want to get it checked out before i hit it. Dont want to blow anthing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would drive the car and enjoy it for awhile. Maybe redo the exhaust, the cat's are there for emission control, and I'm not familiar with NY State.

I had a muffler shop redo my exhaust on my Biturbos and convert to a true dual exhaust. I had to keep the cat's because of the California State emissions. If you convert to dual pipes, remember to notch the driver side to match the original.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts