Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I just came back from visiting the factory Maserati at Modena Italy!!

Here is a short report about that visit:

They asked when i was flying in, but hell, i darned drove my Maserati GT to the factory! A trip of 2200 km (1400 Miles) true Belgium, France, Switserland and Italy. I filled the thanks and off we go.. using the car's 'Grantourismo' to the max!!

I passed the swiss mountains and arrived at Modena Italy, for the time being it was 19 degrees C (66 F) wich is very good for the time of year!!

We stayed at the 5 star hotel San Fransesco and that place was all covered up by small ferrari engine replica's and such, i guess there are many visiters comming for the Ferrari or Maserati factory! In the morning i was present for my factory visit all shaved up and shining like an angel! All of the sudden the Maserati sign popped up in the sky, that was the place! I got greeted by a very very good looking Italian women at the reception desk at Maserati, and in fact, i found that this was the first nice looking Italian girl i have seen so far in Italy. Many people say Italian women are the most beautifull in the world, well it's a big darn lie, they are all ugly as hell!!! I told my wife this was the first nice looking women and she told me that she looked like a hooker!! haha, girls are always the same right ? I was way to early and a few moments later a nice young chap greeted me in good English to guide me around, he was a guide/student doing some work for them as a second job. The M12 that was in the showroom isn't approved for the road or racetrack, it's only for private circuits, the engineers said they could not make it any better, they made 12 pieces of it. I wasn't allowed pictures and when i took some on the parking lot, he started to be a little annoyed so i stopped that. The body frames come from a factory in the south of italy were they are shipped to the Ferrari factory where they have a very good installation to put the color coting on. Then they are shipped to the Maserati factory. They work JIT delivery, all parts arrive the day they are needed for production. We saw all the parts and engines ready to be assembled comming from different suppliers. Ferrari makes the engines as we all know, but they are very happy to do, because they make 2 Maserati engine's for 1 Ferrari engine. Maserati had the first year of profit last year for 6Million euros they make 8000 cars a year now witch is divided almost 50/50 for Quatroporte's and Grantourismo's. There is a special white GT model that is made in a local shop by hand, it takes 2 weeks to make it with a whole crew and i saw one, it's absolutely beautifull with the sunlight on it. Maserati is planning to speed up production to 10.000 cars a year for 2009. Then they will limit production to keep it exclusive. There are around 600 people working in the Maserati factory, and around 200 in the office. In 2007 they hired 180 extra workers for the factory. The development is done togheter with engineers at Ferrari and Fiat. It takes 1,5 days to assemble a car.They also make the 500 pieces of Alfa Romeo's in the Maserati factory. Since that engine is a 4.7 it could be that it's comming to the GT he said. There is only 1 production line that makes all 3 models (GT, 4P and Alfa) in fact, you see 3 4P's, then 4 GT's and then an Alfa, the spare parts to assemble them are ready to fill them up. The moment of 'the marriage' where the engine comes into the cars body is a special moment to see!!! It gave me the shivers!! On the parking lot we saw a new Fiat small car that was painted in special Maserati Blue color only to drive customers around in Modena. It's a very modern production line, people are specially trained not to be stressed because they want to put the quality and the happiness of the people on top, they have 24minutes to do their task, then a next car comes up. The factory had made sure that they can do the work in 20 minutes, so they can each time choose what to do with the spare 4 minutes, go out for a smoke, or do a little talk or catch up other work, they are free to choose and all people are happy with it. Most of them are men and young working on the assembly line. Putting the doors on takes some extra slamming with hammers since it has to fit 100%. Then the car goes into testing, the production takes 1,5 days but testing takes another 3 days. More older men with lots of expirience work in the testing part. They drive them on the road of Italy with special plates and they put some small protection on the cars so it doesn't get damaged. Funny story is that the speed limit is 130km/h on the highway in italy but they drive every car for 60km on the roads above 200km/h. The police don't fine the Maserati tests because they understand that it has to be tested they just asked the Maserati factory to be a little safe and don't do stupid things, yes! this is Italy on his best!! i love it!! Testing includes also heavy water spray from all sides of the car to see if it's really waterproof. They also put extra weights to balance the car when it drives 200km+/h on the testing bank. Then it's up to the cleaning station, most women working there. Again hammers are bouncing to do some finishing touch. In that part the cars are handed over to the transport guys where they test it very very hard because from that moment on, the papers are signed off and it's the responsibily of the transport company to deliver the cars in good shape. For europe it's with truck transport, oversees Maserati's goes into Containers.

A lovely moment and if you have the chance go to Modena!!!!!

In the return way i got a speeding ticket from a French cop, luckely you only have to pay them as a forener, a kinda flat rate, and that's it, off you go again!!

for a 2 day visit i drove 23 hours, the Maserati GT did a great job, and was like a train when i drove high speed for hours and hours!! Trueley amazing touring machine!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi, I just came back from visiting the factory Maserati at Modena Italy!!

Here is a short report about that visit:

I got greeted by a very very good looking Italian women at the reception desk at Maserati, and in fact, i found that this was the first nice looking Italian girl i have seen so far in Italy. Many people say Italian women are the most beautifull in the world, well it's a big darn lie, they are all ugly as hell!!! I told my wife this was the first nice looking women and she told me that she looked like a hooker!!
The talent in Brussels must be pretty good. Got any pictures of them?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
MaseratiBE - that's a trip of a lifetime....wish I lived in Europe! Fantastic pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MaseratiBE, I just responded to your PM...I am sorry I didn't get it before I left for Italy since my tour was the day before yours! I also stayed at the San Francesco (checked in 03/02/08, checked out 07/02/08) but the only nice car I saw in the garage was a silver 997 S Cab...I rented a VW Golf Plus, nothing like 1.6L of four cylinder fury!!! Timing is everything...it sounded like you enjoyed your tour as much as my wife I enjoyed ours :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts