Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imported last year a 04 GT Coupe /F1/ 8.5k / from the US to Germany. After picking up the car from the service I took it the first time on the Autobahn. After about 200 miles I started pushing it a little, suddenly in 6 gear I had a flashing gear indicator into N neutral. The car rolled out and I started again in 1 gear up to 5, after shifting in 6 gear the exact same thing happened. Back at the dealer they updated the F1 software with no result. To cure the problem temporary, I have to reset the car with the power switch. I have the next service in 4 weeks and the dealer suggested replacing a part of the F1 united (around USD 9000 including labor) telling me that probably some particulars are clogging up the fluid flow and causing this problem. This all sounds like try and error for me just like in the good old times of Bi Turbos. I guess it could have to something to do with heat of the gear box and maybe a different control unit in US models. So far I have seen a lot of very good contributions in this forum; I have to say the total opposite of German forums.
Thank you

·
Registered
859 Posts
I do not have an answer to your question but I'm 100% sure u'll find it here sooner or later.
I'm also interested who did you use as shipping company from US to Deustchland, costs and all the details included by this transaction.
thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the car in Omaha with about 8.1k and assigned a German shipper (I always do) that trucked the car to Huston USD 350, loading /unloading container USD 1450, insurance Euro 250 (never use a US insurer about USD 550 and never compensate), German customs 10% (purchasing price + shipping costs) + 19% VAT .
I was browsing through the forum to get a hint about my problem…. no luck

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
There are many software parameters that the dealer has access to which control the function of the clutch and transmission. My guess is that your problem is located in these settings and most likely is not a hardware problem. Some tuning will be required.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
859 Posts
I bought the car in Omaha with about 8.1k and assigned a German shipper (I always do) that trucked the car to Huston USD 350, loading /unloading container USD 1450, insurance Euro 250 (never use a US insurer about USD 550 and never compensate), German customs 10% (purchasing price + shipping costs) + 19% VAT .
Do you have a name for the shipper and insurer?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Why on earth would you import your Maserati from the US? Unless of course the price was just unbelievable...

US versions have 4 cats instead of 2, have a weird bumper thing, some plastic stuff around the dome of the wheels and silly reflectors all around the car that are very ugly.

Not to mention that Germany is full of used maserati cars...

Please enlighten us.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So, then all this calculates out to about USD 15,000 over the purchase price? Wow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What does price have to do with F1 question?

German-autobahn presumably made a rational assessment of the purchase of u.s. car versus local.

I looked at some pictures of used Maseratis at German dealers. They look the same to me and the prices look a lot higher.

·
Registered
824 Posts
There are many software parameters that the dealer has access to which control the function of the clutch and transmission. My guess is that your problem is located in these settings and most likely is not a hardware problem. Some tuning will be required.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff
You would think so, but not!!

This is the exact same problem I had with my car.

According to the dealer, the flashing gear indicator means "low hydraulic pressure" or something -- my recollection is they had to call tech support because it isn't in the service manual.

No cambiocorsa error light comes on, nor is an error logged. Obviously they never finished writing the TCU software....

My issue would show itself after about 90 minutes driving.

Here are the things they changed:
1. replace F1 pump/relay (my F1 pump current draw was a little high, no change)
2. check CC fluid and re-align/re-learn shifting pattern (no change)
3. replace CC actuator (big $$$ out of warranty - maybe what the dealer is suggesting? My dealer said it would be about $10k outside warranty I think)

The first CC actuator (the solenoids on the gearbox) they put in leaked even before they got the car back to me. They replaced it a second time and re-align/re-learn/re-center and all seems to be well. My warranty runs out end of June. I intend to take a good long trip to verify the car is fixed.

If you do a search, I have posted more detail in other threads.

This is not a shifting or software issue. It happens when you are in gear and the car jumps from 6th (or whatever) to neutral. It also beeps with the gear indicator flashes. Other symptoms are you then can't select 5th and sometimes 4th after it happens. I once drove home in 3rd gear.

german-autobahn, how long had you been driving it and any other symptoms?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
From my experience, I have seen this same problem occur as a result of improperly set parameters. However, I certainly am not saying that it is in fact his issue. As your experience reflects, there may be several possibilities.

The flashing Cambio light does not necessarily mean "low hydraulic pressure". Although it can definitely mean that! It purpose is only to indicate that there is a fault in the system. Truth be told, I can get the light to come on any time I want by generating a simple ground fault. I found this by accident one day and it definitely gave me a suprise!

Again, I do not know what happened in either of these cases. However, if they did fix the software parameters once new parts were installed (which is required as part of the calibration). I'm not sure that they would tell you, or perhaps even realize, that this was the problem after they had already replaced all that hardware.

In any case, my point is only that these are possibilities and I would not rule out the software parameters / calibration.

Hope this helps and good luck finding a solution. A quality tech will be able to get to the bottom of it!

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First of all I want to thank you for the constructive advice! I really appreciate the effort.
Well, the indicator light (N) is flashing about 3 times, after that it is in (N), I can shift up without any problems right away, but as soon as I reach (6) gear it jumps back into (N). Sometimes indeed it happens also in 4th and 5th but just on the highway (driving 20-30 miles top speed). I had the symptom last year in August.
Why on earth would you import your Maserati from the US?
I purchase the car in the US because it was a real barging, about 35% less than in Germany, the mileage was another reason plus the car was in immaculate condition. Another aspect was no top speed driving for several hours, If I get on a highway from Berlin to Munich; I have about 75% of the trip without a speed limit, this is simply impossible in the us.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The flashing Cambio light does not necessarily mean "low hydraulic pressure". Although it can definitely mean that!
We are not talking about the red cambio light on the dash. We are talking about the gear display, the one that displays "N","1","2"...."6". (just to be clear- when you said cambio light sounded like you meant the red one?)

I had the red cambio light on once when it couldn't get out of reverse.

Also, while I can accept that parameters and settings could cause shifting problems, but once you are in 6th gear (or any gear) all the system has to do is hold pressure to keep it in gear. The symptom of this problem is jumping out of gear to N while you are just driving on the highway in 6. (from that point on, it has issues shifting into higher gears)

My dealer is pretty good at adjusting the gear spread (etc.) and I do agree that misadjustment can cause a bunch of problems, they were pretty sure this one was hydraulic.

My assumption it is some kind of leakdown issue with the actuator --- after x minutes of the system being pressurized, it can't keep pressure. I originally thought it might be heat related, but it wasn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts