Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Alfa 164 ls, 07 Quattroporte exec. 07 Santa Fe.
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would take advantage of the reasonable weather.... for Ontario in winter... to add my paddle shifters. I followed Quadport69's instructions carefully. Thanks for those by the way.

I made sure everything was connected; made sure the airbag connections were there, the black connector in the wheel, the 2 connectors under the paddles and when I connect negative battery, the horn goes off and will not stop. car still starts but horn will continue. I have no idea what to check here. My only thought was that the horn/airbag module may not have been grounded as the 2 pins holding the assembly within the wheel were not fully pushed on (getting it ouit took over an hour).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

6,923 Posts
You are generally sending the horn circuit to ground to make the horn blow...Unplug your connectors off your cassette and that will isolate it to something in the steering wheel itself...Look for a pinched wire or something with the spring assembly grounding out...Jason

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spring assembly, are we talking about the clock spring or the return springs on either side that surround the locking pins? I was careful not to disturb the clock spring assembly. Sorry if the question sounds obtuse and thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I caught my error after I had typed... remembered that horn works like a momentary switch, like a bike starter button so would have to be something shorting in there . Mind you, cold as heck today so maybe next week.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Culprit found. There is a connector under the airbag module, top-right, held in place with sticky wad stuff. When pulling that up to release the connector, it must have snagged the upper-right horn positive track and this was puller firmly up against the bottom of the negative plate. FYI, there are 4 contact points for the horn: top & bottom right, top and bottom left. Paddles are in but no test driving until spring as I park the car insurance for the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought I would take advantage of the reasonable weather.... for Ontario in winter... to add my paddle shifters. I followed Quadport69's instructions carefully. Thanks for those by the way.

I made sure everything was connected; made sure the airbag connections were there, the black connector in the wheel, the 2 connectors under the paddles and when I connect negative battery, the horn goes off and will not stop. car still starts but horn will continue. I have no idea what to check here. My only thought was that the horn/airbag module may not have been grounded as the 2 pins holding the assembly within the wheel were not fully pushed on (getting it ouit took over an hour).

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I was going to assist but saw you fixed it.
I had this EXACT same problem. The mechanic I had install the paddles pinched the same exact assembly and the horn would just go off for no reason or sometimes stick when I used it. Most annoying and embarrassing at times.

I had to take everything apart and re-fit it all again but it solved the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts