Maserati Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Faster or not, a Granturismo makes a lot of fun on track. We are talking about a very well balanced car with enough power under the hood. And on this earth so many things are very relative: with a Granturismo a good driver can put a lot of pressure on a faster car with a not so experienced driver.

Enjoy your Granturismo; such a car will never be built again.

Accurate footage of me driving on the highway in the mountains. At least, what I think I look like driving :LOL:

·
Registered
122 Posts
BlackMasi thank you for the video and photos! Stunning!
DSGT you are right on a track they would annihilate us- this was on an open road / highway rally with traffic and “limits” sorry I wasn’t more clear. But agree with all comments it handles amazingly for what it is. Very strong $:joy ratio

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,584 Posts
Yup, fantastic car for an open road and /or sweeping curves. It’s not a “lightning-quick“ car, but it’s still a very “fast” car, especially once it gets to triple digit speeds. From, say, 120 mph to 185 mph, we may lag behind those supercars but not where they would lose sight of us in their rear view mirror ..so a respectable showing for sure . Well, except against a Veyron or Koenigsegg and such.. but those cost just a little more than our cars :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yup, fantastic car for an open road and /or sweeping curves. It may not be a “lightning-quick“ car, but it’s still a very “fast” car, especially once it gets to triple digit speeds. From 120 mph or so, to 185 mph, we will lag behind those supercars, but with a respectable showing, not to the point where they would lose sight of us in their rear view mirror .. except a Veyron or Koenigsegg and such.. but those cost just a little more than our cars :p
For the difference in price, I'd rather have a Mas and a really nice boat and house over a Koenigsegg or Bugatti :cool:

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
A few years ago I was on the track with my Scuderia, together with 458 Italia's, Speciale's, 430/458 Challenge race cars etc.. I could keep up to a certain extent, but especially the Challenge cars with their racing tires were unbeatable. Then I handed over the steering wheel to my friend, a former F1 driver. Wow! Suddenly my Scud was by far the fastest car on the track. I was so proud. But I also realized that I should never try to drive as fast as my friend. The car was always at the limit and I probably would have reacted wrong at least once at high speed and eventually lost the car.

We did the same with a Granturismo, my friend behind the steering wheel. We always occupied the ideal line and you won't believe it, nobody passed us ;). But after two very hard laps it was over, brakes much too hot, rapidly decreasing braking power, off to the pits to cool down the car. Anyway, the fun was enormous!!
(and the brakes as well as the tires at the end...)

Of course it is so that in absolutely comparable conditions our Granturismo simply carries too much fat around the hips. This is where its unfavorable power-to-weight ratio has in various aspects a big negative effect.

However, on public roads we can easy keep up with much stronger cars, and another sunny side of the Granturismo, usually we always sit in the best sounding car.
And to be honest, if there is enough traffic, one can keep up even with a bicycle, but then you just hear the old rusty lungs whistling... :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
It amazes me how many thundercats there are that will try and put you in your place when they see or find out you drive a Maserati, or other exotic. It's as if they were in some room talking about their M3s and AMGs and I had walked in to say "I have a Maserati and shes the fastest". You'll always have someone to comment about how they will gap you in their XYZ. Clearly, nobody buys this car for speed or to gap anyone. The fact they miss the point is what sets Maserati owners from the rest in my opinion.

Sure, we might lose in a race, but I bet we'd sound better losing, than they'd look winning ;)

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
511 Posts
If I wanted a track car, I would have bought one. If I want a straight line red light drag car, I would have bought one. If I wanted a performance oriented street exotic, I would have bought one.

But I want comfort, luxury, actual real world seating for 4, Italian styling, beautiful exhaust note, and ample cruising power for the long drive, so I bought a Gran Turismo. It's really that simple.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That’s one of the jokes that I have with my son! That our Gran Turismo can keep up with any car in the street as long as there is a traffic jam :)
Love the car!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts