Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, first time on this forum and i don't actually own a maserati but my neighbour just bought a quattroporte 2005 last week and went off on holiday the following day leaving me with his car.Now neither of us had ever driven one before, and yes i agree a bit crazy to buy a car without a test drive, anyway my question for someone is, is it normal for gearbox to have such a lag for want of a better word between gears? We are both used to mercs which in comparison has a seamless gear change, also it does'nt seem to be possible to put the car into neutral once it has been started. please excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
To put the car in neutral pull back on both paddels at the same time.

There is a hesitation on the duo-select when starting in 1st gear but it should be reasonably smooth changing to higher gears as long as you are shifting at 3,000 rpm or above.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Also, make sure that the car is in Sport mode, this will greatly decrease the shift time.

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your quick replies and one more question please, can the car be parked in gear as the handbrake does'nt inspire confidence on a steep hill?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Thank you for your quick replies and one more question please, can the car be parked in gear as the handbrake does'nt inspire confidence on a steep hill?
The car should be parked in gear at all times as per the owners' manual.

·
Registered
255 Posts
And (as per the handbook) only park in 1st gear - I have witnessed a car creeping down a slope when parked in either Reverse or 2nd gear!

·
Registered
340 Posts
The parking brake is pretty much useless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi, thanks again for all your help, I'm pretty sure i selected 1st gear then switched off car took foot off brake and it just rolled as if in neutral but I'll try that again tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts