Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gransport is one year old today and is in having its service. They phone to say that the car needs four new tyres and a new clutch!!.

The mileage..............the grand total of 3421.

Hey Ho!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll be taking my GS for it's 1st year service soon, same mileage as you.

My tires look great, how do yours look? That one should be easy to establish.

If you haven't tracked it, are you the only driver?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RQ, the tyres are sort of shiny....on a wet day you can almost see your face in them !!

No, I am not the only driver, I bought the car with just 2000 on the clock about four months ago. That said, my 4200 C/C used to eat the tyres, never more than 4000 per set....maybe it is the way I drive.

The dealer seemed to think it was all rather amusing, she did say that earliest that they have had so far was 13000 and that just over 3000 was a bit of a record.

As I am not paying for the clutch I wont be worrying too much.

Toodle Pip !!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good to hear that they'll cover your clutch.

My question was more related to maybe having a teenage son borrowing the car in the middle of the night... sounds like you are enjoying your car!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Maybe the prior owner used to deliver newspapers door to door? stop and go?...do you ever get out of 1st gear??,

any idea why they are covering the clutch since it is considered a wear item?

your situation is kinda scary, i'd be blowing 3 clutches per year in your case

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the clutch is not included in the warranty (brand new or used car warranty)...

at least not included in Hong Kong... :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very little stop go driving, mostly blasting along quiet country roads around where I live.

As to whether the clutch is covered by warranty I dont really care, having paid good money for a good car four months ago I think the dealer feared something akin to a nulclear explosion if they suggested anything other than that magic word, warranty.

Toodle Pip !!

·
Registered
114 Posts
QP gearbox

When I took delivery of my 2004 QP two weeks ago I asked the dealer about the clutch wear. Apparently the service center had replaced the whole gearbox under warranty a few months earlier because the first owner had complained that the clutch was squeeky. I am happy as I have a new gearbox and a practically new clutch. Has there been any mechanical upgrades to CC boxes since 2002 or is it all software?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Replacing a clutch at 3,000 miles new isn't going to inspire any confidence in potential buyer's reading this. I agree with Dolle, even thought you are not paying I would want a second opinion just to know that dealer isn't off their rocks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is a wide variance in the clutch life reported by different owners of cambiocorsa vehicles. I have owned a 2202 CC for 2 years:-
- original clutch (single-tang type) replaced at 22K miles (I only did the last 3K)
- replacement (dual-tang) lasted approx 9K miles (but was replaced due to "squeak" on engaging first - a common problem with some clutches fitted, there was no slippage though)
- current clutch has just 3K on it

The hardware (single->dual chnaged in the 02 only) and of course there have been at least 3 s/w updates I can recall in the last 2 years. The clutch has basically operated better (esp 1st 2nd changes) with every update.

Others on the forum have reported clutch life on cc coupe of up to 40K miles:
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4221#post4221

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the car back today looking even more gorgeous than usual.

They want it back within a couple of weeks to replace the clutch, which as barbuckle mentions was 'squeaking' but only on take off in first, and only on an incline.

I have to say that apart from the occasional squeak I could not notice any problem and compared to my 03 CC was well impressed with the transmission.

The prognosis, if matters were left unattended, is that the sqeaking would slowly become screeching, then move gradually into all gears prior to completely seizing.......nice.

So now we know, any slight sqeaking from the transmission at take off, get yourself down to the dealer sharpish with your most unpleasant head on.

Toodle Pip !!

·
Registered
333 Posts
squeaking you say...???
My car has a not so loud squeaking sound that comes from the left rear and I always thought it was dryness on the suspension... the squeak is more like the one from an old motel bed... is that the squeaking sound you are talking about ??? is that clutch wear???

I only have 4,300 Km. and I feel the car drives perfectly normal, I've been to the track only on two ocassions but my everyday driving could be qualified as being a bit on the maniac side... could that squaking be clutch wear???

Forgot to mention... mine is an 04 CC and I'm the only one that has driven it since I bought it with 100 Km.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Our 2002 had the single-tang clutch replaced (by Maserati) at 11,000 miles. We're now at about 14,000 and haven't had any problems other than a sing-song noise as the clutch engages. I have not yet mentioned that noise to the dealer, but will this spring.

Other than that, we've enjoyed a pretty trouble-free 4200 CC.

Seems awfully strange they are replacing clutch and tires at that low mileage. Our rear tires (Pirelli) were gone at 11,000 but the fronts were like brand new.

·
Registered
773 Posts
clutch trouble

my 02 cc spyder had a clutch slip problem at 4m. turns out to be a design flaw with fulcrum. they fixed but charged me for clutch because my employees had a field day, and burnt disc before i stopped them, 3500. tires did not last much longer at rear, my foot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
bundas
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing