Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,309 Posts
IMHO - It all depends on what the current market is for the XKR and how passionate your are about getting into the GT. The basic decision is if having a Maserati GranTurismo brings you an additional 55K worth of joy beyond your XKR. My guess is that '08 XKRs are asking higher than 60K (but, is anyone buying?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
That is probably as good as it gets on the XKR and in all actuality the Granturismo is holding well due to low production numbers and high demand for an exotic with a slushbox. Personally I would say hold onto the XKR there are a lot more deals that will surface throughout 09 on all types of high end cars.

I just saw an 08 CLK63 vert which retailed for 96k go for 51k with 1000 miles on it high end larger productions lux sports cars are dropping fast.

Also contact some other dealers see what they will give you for the XKR it is a lot more useful then "well these people on the internet say I could get more for it"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
As you probably know, the best deal would be you selling your car privately and then making an offer on the GT...;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,309 Posts
ouch! About a year and a few months ago (pre-maserati) I actually started my 'new car' search looking for an XKR. Everything I was looking at was around 100K. Seems like the Jag has fared worse than the Maser..... Good new boys!:D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,261 Posts
I think part of the issue with the Jag's prices is the fact the company is in dire conditions and is needing a cash infusion from both Tata (the new owner, who's also getting hammered) and the British government.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
even though it's still an arguable topic, financial conditions are going to get worse for the foreseeable future and may go on for 3 years or more. is that possible? ask japan, they're in an extension of their "lost decade" of depression. macroeconomic factors in the U.S. and globally point to no realistic recovery for the near future. so basically, it's going to get a little worse until we start to see it get better.

keeping that in mind, the longer you wait to buy a GT, the better deal you're going to get. you should keep your current car (which is still less than a year old) and even convince yourself that you are going to continue driving the XKR, while continuing to keep an eye out for the GT. put in hard negotiations with the two dealers and get them down to the complete bottom price. then walk away. you won't know what their floor price is until you walk away and they let you walk away. when you come back to them, the car will likely still be available and you'll know the real asking price for it.

selling your XKR is a whole different animal. just hope that whoever wants to buy it isn't as good a negotiator as you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is, the dealer takes in your XKR and it is pretty much back into auction / wholesaler. they would never keep it in stock. probably a jaguar dealer wouldnt want it in its inventory either.

although i am not particular interested in the XKR (it is not bad at all), i really cannot see any justification on spending $55k to get into a Granturismo even though i have 2 maseratis in my garage. sorry.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top